Foo Fighters

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

In the thread on the wierd lights seen during a raid on Hamburg/Harnburg on 5th of April 1945, the mention was made of Foo Fighters.

I find these most fascinating. I rememebr I had heard something of this years ago when the band formed but never looked further into it. I have done a google and found these references to this wierd WWII phenomenon witnessed by pilots of both sides.

This one suggest they were natural like St Elmo's Fire (ie ball lightning)
http://www.unmuseum.org/foo.htm

This one suggest secret unmanned aircraft and other wied possibilities!!
http://www.crystalinks.com/foofighters.html

What are your opinions on Foo Fighters? Natural phenomena? Little green men? Any ideas? Any more interesting stories out there about foo fighters or similar phenomena?

More here about the foo fighters, linking them to Roswell
http://sped2work.tripod.com/foo_fighters.html

My theory? Possibly drones from the future, taking tourists back into the past to view action first hand from a safe distance? Imagine that, I'll guarantee when a time machine is invented, someone will make money fom it this way, just like the damn fool idea of taking tourists into space!

Original post

Member for

20 years

I found this here
http://home.manyrivers.aunz.com/sting1946/foo.htm

"The Germans laid claim to the manufacturing and flying of these unusual craft. They even had detailed drawings of their interior workings. But it was a lie!

One report states that one of these 'Foo Fighters' entered through the fuselage of the bomber aircraft without making a hole, flew around inside the interior of the plane only to disappear back out through the wall of the aircraft again without making a hole."

Member for

19 years 3 months

Well, they sound pretty good, and many actually prefer them to Nirvana.

Member for

20 years

:)

I wondered who'd be the first...

Member for

19 years 3 months

:)

I wondered who'd be the first...

Sorry, sorry. Couldn't resist. I doubt many people are even aware where the band got their name. Anyway, I have to say that my first thought with phenomena like this (despite being an ex-avid X-Files viewer) is that there's always a rational and usually mundane explanation (I have become Scully....). The most obvious in this case being pilot fatigue and boredom.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Dave
what ever you're smoking, could you put two separate ounces in two envelopes and send one to me and one to
Mr. M Hiscock
Basingrad
UK.

We'll test run the substance and let you know if we need more.

I'm not saying you're using anything illegal--but it seems to have possibilities.
Cheers
Andy

PS Is it a Sheep by-product??? :) :) ;) ;) :) :)

Member for

20 years

PS Is it a Sheep by-product??? :) :) ;) ;) :) :)

Are you trying to suggest it's making me woolly minded? :)

This thread is supposed to be about a serious topic relating to WWII aircrew. It is very interesting and rather intrigueing. However, I don't mind the comedy either because I started it with my tongue-in-cheek suggested theory!

I do not believe in flying saucers from outer space, that is nonsense cooked up by the US military and perpetuated to the gullible by Hollywood.

Like Jonathon, I too think there is an answer much more realistic and natural than objects from beyond the stars. Who knows.

Is this phenomenon still seen today by pilots I wonder, all the cases of Foo Fighters seem to be WWII based. Maybe that's what the famous Kaikoura Lights were, the same thing?

Though I think the whole alien thing is bunkum, I personally have seen a UFO. I use the term literally - it was a flying object which I could not identify. And it was very odd. I was about 19 or 20. My younger sister also saw it but strangley now has no recollection of the event. (maybe they've gotten to her :eek: hehe!)

It was four bright lights in a diagonal formation descending on a 45 degree angle from high up down to the ground, in this formation (ignore the lines, just the O's)

O

____O

________O

____________O

It went down to the ground - disappearing behind trees. I went inside and told my Nana and sister what I'd seen, my sister came outside and ten minutes later we both saw it take off again exactly reversing the route I'd seen it descend, going up on the 45 degree ascent. It was a clear summer's evening, still very light. The sun glinted off all four objects, or at least they appeared bright and may have been artificial lights.

Now, the direction we looked at and about the same distance is Hamilton Airport. Back then then only planes you could see, if you were lucky with the right conditions, landing there, were Boeing 737's. But this was not one for several reasons - a) you could hear them but often not see them, before the days of hushkits we always heard the 737's landing on calm nights such as this. I heard nothing. b) Boeings do not land there on a 45 degree angle, and c) they do not land in formations of four planes. The lights/reflections were far enough apart to not be one object unless it were massive. Additionally, d) Boeings NEVER landed and took off within ten minutes at Hamilton. They had to refueld, dump pax and reload more pax, etc. I doubt it were two different planes. Yes the ascent of the Boeings was steep, but the descent was never that steep and I really do not think this could have been a Boeing.

So, I call it a UFO till someone identifies it to my satisfaction. Perhaps it was a flock of Magpies each with a shiny pilfered object? :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is this phenomenon still seen today by pilots I wonder

About ten years ago, I was covering office work for a colleague on holiday. I based myself in his office in Dukinfield (yes, XL391, that Dukinfield!) which had a good view of airliners arriving at Manchester.

I paused to watch a Boeing 737 pass over the town, then noticed it appeared to have a very small, bright ball of light formating just a few feet out from it's tail fin (port side, nearest to me). The ball followed in perfect formation for a while, then it suddenly performed a very odd sort of barrel roll around the aircraft's rear fuselage and shot off in the opposite direction and out of my line of sight.

I thought to myself "Oh, you don't see that everyday" and got back to work.

I told my colleague about what he'd missed, and being a bit of an aeroplane enthusiast himself, he must have decided to carry out some research. He later sent me a few pages photocopied from a book by Jenny Randles, describing several very similar events.

That's it folks. No Aliens, just what appeared to be a solid device formating very closely on an airliner and performing some very impressive manouevers.

If someone comes along with a viable explanation, such as ball lightning, then I'll buy it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

What about static electricity? I have no idea about such things, to be honest, but I suppose there are all kinds of possibilities to be looked into.

IIRC didn't the RAF scramble on at least one occasion a section of fighters to intercept something like this? Or at least try to engage them?

Member for

19 years 6 months

FYI: These pages give you some background information about 1942 'Battle Of Los Angeles' where the term 'Foo Fighters' was originally coined.
This is where a UFO was coned over LA and an enormous quantity of AAA was dispensed at this mysterious object causing who knows what ground destruction in that area.

IMHO it would be a very unwise to discount the very real possiblity of intelligent or more advanced life elsewhere given the uncountable numbers of planets orbiting their own suns in orbits of habitability similar to our own, which are out there within our own galaxy and far far beyond.

I always find it strange that as individuals and more especially from a governmental level we are dissuaded at every opportunity from dealing with the big questions. What is life all about after all? Why do we find talking about this subject so difficult and why are people so quick to try and put these discussions down?

http://www.rense.com/ufo/battleofla.htm

http://brumac.8k.com/BATTLEOFLA/BattleofLA.html

http://www.rense.com/general27/battle.htm

Member for

19 years 9 months

Continuing this threads slightly off-topic coverage ( and without entering the debate and question of the meaning of life, the universe and everything which we all know equals "42")

I found this link some time ago which reports the UFO incidents that Australia's Air Marshall George Jones encountered.

UFO's and AM Jones RAAF

I found it interesting reading

regards

Mark Pilkington

Member for

20 years 7 months

I always find it strange that as individuals and more especially from a governmental level we are dissuaded at every opportunity from dealing with the big questions. What is life all about after all? Why do we find talking about this subject so difficult and why are people so quick to try and put these discussions down?

From the government's pov, there's no advantage in promoting the idea because there's nothing they could do about it and it would just scare people. From the individual viewpoint, the subject attracts the lunatic fringe of true believers so there's the risk of being tarred with the same brush if you appear to take it seriously.

I recall once reading of a US conference of scientists (astronomers IIRC) who were enjoying a reception in a hall one night when one of them strolled outside and saw strange lights whizzing about the sky. He went back in and announced what was going on to the assembled throng, who all looked embarrassed and declined to go and see for themselves - appearing to take it seriously would have meant professional ridicule.

FWIW I think that the vast majority of UFO sightings are explicable in terms of everyday factors, a small percentage is not. The explanation for those IMO almost certainly rests in some natural phenomena which are not yet understood.

I once saw a TV programme on UFOs which included some cine film taken by a passenger on an airliner who had filmed the view from his window. This appeared to show a solid, dark-coloured object approaching the plane at immense speed, before vanishing again with equal speed. The film was very convincing and I was impressed - I could think of no natural explanation for it and the cameraman appeared to be honest. So the TV investigators sent someone with this guy's camera to sit in the same seat of the same aeroplane on the same flight to do some filming. Lo and behold, he saw the same thing. It turned out that the bevelled edge of the window caused an optical distortion which, if you held the camera in exactly the right position, made a part of the tailplane seem detached from the rest, as if it were a separate solid object. It could be made to appear or disappear just by moving the camera a fraction. Case solved, and a neat example of why you shouldn't always believe the evidence of your own eyes!

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum