Help Required

Profile picture for user Whato

Member for

14 years 7 months

I need some help in the following matter, I have a friend who's father recently visited the war time grave of his brother, it was the first time that he had ever visited the site, and i was wandering if anyone out there had any info or photo's etc relating to the following. His brother was Sgt A.G.E Mount aged 19. He was based at RAF witchford in 115 squadron flying Lancaster bombers. The aircraft he was in was IHK 552 KO-J flying a bombing mission to the south of Paris on 8th June 1944. He had only joined this aircraft on the morning of the mission replacing a sick comrade SGT Blench. The aircraft was shot down by flak and all but one of the crew perished. The aircraft crashed near the village of Devant Beaumont, and that is where he is buried... I would much appreciate any info that anyone could give me in this matter.
Original post
Profile picture for user EN830

Member for

19 years 9 months

HK552 was on a communications raid in support of the D-Day landings to Chevreuse to the south of Paris. The aircraft was shot down by a night fighter and crashed at Montchauvet (Yvesline) 13 Km SSW of the town Mantes le Jolie. Mantes le Jolie is to the West of Paris and looking at Night Fighter claims for that evening it appears that three 4 engined aircraft were shot down in the Mantes area. 8/NJG5 Lt Gerhard Wagner claimed two one at 02.03 and another at 02.06 and 9/NJG4 Lt Hromadnik claimed one at 02.24. The crew comprised :- F/S J E Todd RAAF KIA Sgt A G E Mount KIA F/O A R Tarlton “Pow” F/S T Bamford KIA Sgt R Stallwood KIA Sgt V F Scrivens KIA Sgt F Morgan KIA The raid comprised of 337 aircraft, 195 Halifaxes 122 Lancaster and 20 Mosquitoes. They were tasked to attack targets at Achères, Juvisy, Massey-Palaiseau and Versailles. Bombing conditions were much improved on previous nights and all targets were accurately bombed. However the targets were mostly more distant from the battle front than those recently bombed and the Night Fighter defences had more time to intercept. 17 Lancasters, 11 Halifaxes were lost.

Member for

14 years 7 months

David, The casualty record papers for Todd of the RAAF can be viewed freely by making a request for it to be digitized by Australian Archives (processing takes a little over a month at present but can then be viewed on line). Go to: http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=2 for the references to his service record and casualty record (the latter is the A705 series one and should include a number of documents about the loss of the aircraft and burial of the crew). These type of documents, incidentally, are not available via the British MoD, being deliberately withheld from the public or having been destroyed/removed from personal files (whatever happened to their promise to 'remember them'?). The 'colonies' (Australia, Canada and New Zealand) in stark contrast are considerably more enlightened and aware of their responsibilities in such matters. Errol