B-17G-25-VE 42-97683

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

I'm curious about the chunk of B-17 fin in the NMUSAF in Dayton,OH which I saw a couple of years ago and about which I've been reading for even longer. There's a picture of it at http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/ce46.htm

You don't see very many aircraft which are the subject of TWO MACRs

MACR# 10201 Date 440918 (Sept 18th 1944) B-17 42-97683 Gp95 Sqn335 Pilot-Miller

MACR# 12824 Date 450315 (March 15th 1945) B-17 42-97683 Gp301 Sqn353 Pilot (?)

Tell me if I'm wrong. Was it hit/damaged during "Frantic IV" (which was on 9/18/44 supplying the Warsaw uprising), abandoned somewhere somewhere by the 8th AF (first MACR) and then repaired, picked up by the 15th AF and taken back to Italy? I imagine it was desirable to the new owners because it was an H2X "Mickey" ship. It was finally shot down in 1945 (second MACR). The picture on the NMUSAF website clearly shows what looks like an individual letter "M" which tallies with its entry in the Freeman B-17 Story (gives the 95BG/335BS identity OE-M) and also visible is the 301BG/353BS insignia (the "Y" and the "4").

I've been googling this for some time and haven't come up with anything else. I should have grabbed someone at Dayton when I was there but there was so much to salivate about that I didn't think of it at the time.

Has someone on this forum already got hold of the MACRs? What's the real story?

On a more general note, is there a simple way to get accident reports and MACR (missing air crew reports) from the US National Archives without having to resort to employing a private researcher or company? The Archives website is a bit vague. I see I can request this stuff but the method for doing it is not obvious. Maybe it's because I'm not actually American or just don't understand the official mindset.

Over to you...

Rob / Kansan

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pity you didn't ask this a couple of weeks back. I flew some 95BG veterans on their return to the UK in June. Doubtful if they'd really remember an individual aircraft though.

Have you tried posting on the, quite active, 95BG veterans web site?

Moggy

Member for

19 years

Pity you didn't ask this a couple of weeks back. I flew some 95BG veterans on their return to the UK in June. Doubtful if they'd really remember an individual aircraft though.

Have you tried posting on the, quite active, 95BG veterans web site?

Moggy

Thanks Mog,
Actually, I didn't even think of that. I'll ask them.

Looking at the "B-17 story" again it does say "MIA Warsaw (Op Frantic IV) 18/9/44 W/Miller, flak, f/l Russia 4 POW 5RTD; sal & rep" (with the MACR) and then "tran 352BS/301BG Lucera, MIA Ruhland 15/3/45 w/Thornton 1 KIA [which was Sanchez] 9POW"

Which in itself gives more information than I thought I had. The specific machine was only with the group for 5 months in total.

I'm curious as to what the "sal & rep" was (i.e. how much damage) and what route it took to get from Russia to Italy.

(later)
Hmm. The Mighty Eigth War Diary (page 349 in my edition) says 8th AF Mission 640 Was Frantic VII. One machine was lost (from the 390 BG) and seven others damaged (one of which being '683). 1248 containers dropped. There is also a picture of a 95BG B-17 landing at Poltava.

So the chunk of sheet metal in the museum is quite significant, IMHO.

Thanks again,

Rob / Kansan

Member for

21 years 1 month

Thanks Mog,
Actually, I didn't even think of that. I'll ask them.

Looking at the "B-17 story" again it does say "MIA Warsaw (Op Frantic IV) 18/9/44 W/Miller, flak, f/l Russia 4 POW 5RTD; sal & rep" (with the MACR) and then "tran 352BS/301BG Lucera, MIA Ruhland 15/3/45 w/Thornton 1 KIA [which was Sanchez] 9POW"

Which in itself gives more information than I thought I had. The specific machine was only with the group for 5 months in total.

I'm curious as to what the "sal & rep" was (i.e. how much damage) and what route it took to get from Russia to Italy.

(later)
Hmm. The Mighty Eigth War Diary (page 349 in my edition) says 8th AF Mission 640 Was Frantic VII. One machine was lost (from the 390 BG) and seven others damaged (one of which being '683). 1248 containers dropped. There is also a picture of a 95BG B-17 landing at Poltava.

So the chunk of sheet metal in the museum is quite significant, IMHO.

Thanks again,

Rob / Kansan

Almost missed this one. Significant because it was the 17 that Sandy Sanchez lost his life. Apparently the only B17 crewman to have a B17 named for him. Image from the 95th history showing Sanchez sitting on "his" B17.

Note he was lost while flying with the 301st out of Italy.

Dan

Attachments

Member for

19 years

I suggest you try posting this on the ArmyAirForces.com forum. You might get some more details.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Rob,
Try [email]j.peters140@comcast.net[/email] he is very knowledgeable about the question that you ask.

Member for

19 years

Rob,
Try [email]j.peters140@comcast.net[/email] he is very knowledgeable about the question that you ask.

Thanks Jules. Do you want to warn him or shall I just drop him a line with the URL of this forum page?

PS Thanks to AT and Moggy for the reference to the 95BG website and Yahoo Group. It's a pretty busy place. I haven't been into AAF for a while.

R/K

Member for

19 years 3 months

Kansan,
Just e-mail jim peters

Member for

19 years

Kansan,
Just e-mail jim peters

Jules,
Thanks. I will!

PS I think I saw you over on ArmyAirForces.com :-)