No. 109 Squadron - what did they fly?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

What did No. 109 Sqn RAF fly before they got Mosquitoes? Were they flying Wellingtons? I am talking about the period of April to August 1942. I know they got their Mossies in July 1942, but what was flying in the squadron before this?

I believe they were a special ops squadron, testing the OBOE system. Two chaps from here in Cambridge flew with the squadron, one was killed later. He was with them during the period I ask about.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

What did No. 109 Sqn RAF fly before they got Mosquitoes? Were they flying Wellingtons? I am talking about the period of April to August 1942. I know they got their Mossies in July 1942, but what was flying in the squadron before this?

I believe they were a special ops squadron, testing the OBOE system. Two chaps from here in Cambridge flew with the squadron, one was killed later. He was with them during the period I ask about.

Dave,

From "RAF Squadrons":

Reformed Boscombe Down, 10 Dec 40: Whitley V (to Jun 41), Anson I (to Jun 42), Wellington IC (to Dec 42), Wellington I (to Sep 41).
19 Jan 42. To Tempsford, dets at Wyton, Upper Heyford, Boscombe Down & Stradishall.
Mar 42, Wellington VI (to Jul 42)
6 Apr 42, to Stradishall, det at Upper Heyford.
Jul 42, Lancaster I (to Oct 42)
7 Aug 42, to Wyton.
Dec 42, Mosquito IV (to May 44)

Seems to be quite a mixed bag of aeroplanes.

Hope that helps.

Laurie.

Member for

20 years

Thank you guys, the period I'm looking at was when theyu were at Stradishall in Surrey, so I guess my chap, Alfred Doel, must have been involved with Wellingtons and Lancasters and maybe Mossies.

Cheers.

Member for

20 years

Ah-hmm... well done, I was just testing you...

Member for

19 years 1 month

Dave,

Doel was posted to 109 Sqn (ex-75[NZ]Sqn) on 29 Apr 42 and flew 5 ops on Wellingtons there before being posted to 11OTU as an instructor on Wellingtons on 9 Aug 42.

Errol

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi Dave, I have a book called " Beam Bombers The Secret War of No 109 Squadron " by Michael Cummings.

If you cannot get hold of the book, feel free send me any question and I see if they are in the book.

Dave

Member for

20 years

Thanks Errol, much appreciated.

And thanks too Digsworth, I did not know about the book. Does it mention the other Cambridge man who was on 109 Sqn at all? His name is Alan Dray? He was one of the earliest members of the squadron. I interviewed him some time ago but I'm yet to find time to transcribe it for the website.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Dave, sorry there is no metion in the book of Alan Dray.

Dave

Member for

20 years

Thanks anyway Dave.