Spitfire in St James' Park London

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

BBC mid-day main news has just had a report on the new exhibition of WWII equipment in St James' park. It was being opened by Prince Charles and all part of the commemoration of the end of WWII.

The camera panned across a very shiny and pristine grey/green Spitfire carrying the 74 Squadron codes 4D-V and and a serial that looked like it ended in **885.

If an original it was new one on me. It may of course be a high quality GRP replica.

Does anybody have the story on this one?

Mark

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I understand the RAFM has an exhibition in St James Park, which includes a Spitfire XVI. I dont know whioch one it is though

Bruce

Member for

24 years 2 months

I understand the RAFM has an exhibition in St James Park, which includes a Spitfire XVI. I dont know whioch one it is though

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

My guess then would be RW393 carrying a spurious RAF serial.

I see the actual 4D-V was TB675 in April 1945

Let's look at the 6 o'clock news tonight.

Mark

Member for

20 years 6 months

That nice man at the BBC?

Have a look under 'research' on the Beeb website.

Why do you want one? It's just another Spitfire. (oops. :D )

Member for

24 years 2 months

Spot on Rob,

Not a replica and almost certainly RW393 painted as 'TB675'/4D-V

Now where can I get a quality still?

Mark

Mark,

Now if you ask nicely I might be persuaded to take a half day on Friday and pop along with my camera :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 6 months

Looks VERY good.

A car owned by Sir Malcolm Campbell, and I presume a Auster AOP from the Museum of Army Flying as well as lots of other 'stuff'.

Member for

20 years

I am on leave today and tomorrow. :) however I work within 5 minutes walk of St James's Park so I will take my camera to work with me on Wednesday just in case there is a Spit to see. :o

Member for

24 years 2 months

Scramble Demo

Are we in for a suprise Mark 12? The Gp Cpt organising the event spoke on Radio 4 today of a Spitfire Scramble demo later in the week.

Speculation:

RW393 fast taxying under 2 stroke engine power then 'converting' to real flight via a BBMF fly-by

RW393 secretly resored to flying condition and a daring first flight to be made from St James Park(!)

The stirring music, runnning re-enactors, sirens, coughing Merlin 'a-clang-a-clang-a-clang' etc, followed by '..imagine, if you will..' etc etc

Member for

24 years 2 months

Low back Spitfire Mk XVI

Are we in for a suprise Mark 12? The Gp Cpt organising the event spoke on Radio 4 today of a Spitfire Scramble demo later in the week.

Speculation:

RW393 fast taxying under 2 stroke engine power then 'converting' to real flight via a BBMF fly-by

RW393 secretly resored to flying condition and a daring first flight to be made from St James Park(!)

The stirring music, runnning re-enactors, sirens, coughing Merlin 'a-clang-a-clang-a-clang' etc, followed by '..imagine, if you will..' etc etc

Well they won't be starting up and taxiing RW393.

Pinch me somebody and tell me this isn't TD248 in a new scheme and roaded in, the week before Leg-ends.

Mark

Member for

20 years

Pinch me somebody and tell me this isn't TD248 in a new scheme and roaded in, the week before Leg-ends.

Mark

Mark

"this isn't TD248 in a new scheme and roaded in, the week before Leg-ends".

However the flying list for Legends according to Legends list doesn't show the Mk XVI. There are going to be some Spitfires including V, XIV, XIV & XVII.

I look forward to seeing the XVII. A very unusual a/c not previously seen on the airshow circuit and the second XIV will be interesting too, given that TFC's is still minus its Griffon. Maybe one of those should read XIX (Moulinex)

I'll get that photo of the XVI in the park and post it on Wednesday, unless someone beats me to it.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Well they won't be starting up and taxiing RW393.

Mark

Well according to the RAFM blurb on the Living Museum's webpage (see Martin's link), it was restored at Cosford so I think you can discount TD248.

Having said that, the Living Museum example was sporting a rather fetching and obviously new cockpit cover when seen on BBC Breakfast this morning, so I did at first wonder if it was an airworthy airframe

I wonder whether this is destined to become a new "Display" airframe to replace those subsumed by the BBMF spares reclamation programme....

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well here is RW393 at Cosford in August 2000 and already fitted with quality glazing.

Since then it has been in store at RAF Stafford.

Subsumed. I like it. :)

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/16-RW393-90-001.jpg

Member for

19 years 3 months

The four Naval Museums have also a themed area in the park, one of the exhibits is Firefly Z2033.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Pinch me somebody and tell me this isn't TD248 in a new scheme and roaded in, the week before Leg-ends.Mark

TD248 was still at Duxford on Sunday :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Well here is RW393 at Cosford in August 2000 and already fitted with quality glazing.

Since then it has been in store at RAF Stafford.

Subsumed. I like it. :)

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/16-RW393-90-001.jpg

Sorry me not making myself clear - I mean of the waterproof grey fabric type to keep the weather out of the cockpit!!

Member for

18 years 10 months

The four Naval Museums have also a themed area in the park, one of the exhibits is Firefly Z2033.

What four naval museums? I can only think of two, the Fleet Air Arm Museum and HMS Belfast

Member for

20 years 9 months

What four naval museums? I can only think of two, the Fleet Air Arm Museum and HMS Belfast

Plus Royal Naval Museum & Royal Navy Submarine Museum

Member for

20 years 8 months

Visited it today!!! A great day out, on till Sunday. Free entry ;) Anna ;) :)