Duxford this Thursday (7th July)

Profile picture for user darrenharbar

Member for

19 years 9 months

Yes it's press day tommorow, and if any of you are passing the airfield in the afternoon I would recomend a visit! Subject to weather and aircraft serviceability, the various vintage elements (20 aircraft in five waves) of Sundays flypast over London will be taking to the air for a practice. Be there by 2PM to catch the action, and some interesting combinations.
Original post
Profile picture for user taylorman

Member for

14 years 3 months

Too bad, I would go on thursday but due to the bad weather here in the Netherlands I have to go on Friday :( But hey, I'll be at legends ;)
Profile picture for user highflying

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks for the heads up, the NOTAMs show that the practice is happening both tomorrow and Friday: AGA : FROM 05/07/07 09:00 TO 05/07/08 12:00 L1922/05 E)AD CLSD JUL 07 0900-1430, JUL 08 0900-1200, FOR WORLD WAR 11 60TH ANNIVERSARY FLY PAST REHEARSALS. AIC 47/2005 MAUVE 155 REFER.

Member for

19 years 9 months

The vintage line up: Dragon Combine - 5 Dragon rapides Coastal Combine - Lockheed 12 AA Avro Anson 2 Catalinas (one dutch and PS's cat from Dux) Pegasus Combine- BBMF Dakota, AA Dakota plus one other Allied Combine- B-17 Sally B B-25 D of Brab B-25 Swiss B-17 P lady Memorial Combine BBMF Lanc, Spit and Hurri

Member for

16 years 4 months

Good God :eek: :eek: :eek: Where did you get the info from, out of curiosity? If its all correct, then by-God, its going to be a cracker. Swiss B25, Dutch Catalina (which I understand, however, has engine probs atm, any updates?), Pink Lady, 5 Rapides..woot!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Good God :eek: :eek: :eek: Where did you get the info from, out of curiosity? If its all correct, then by-God, its going to be a cracker. Swiss B25, Dutch Catalina (which I understand, however, has engine probs atm, any updates?), Pink Lady, 5 Rapides..woot!
Press release from Duxford - issued yesterday.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Excellent :) I'm very glad I'm able to go both days this year!

Member for

14 years 5 months

Interesting line up, but a missed opportunity perhaps? Interesting to see that only BBMF "singles" are participating... I know there are very strict rules regarding single engined aircraft ops over the centre of London, but if rules can be bent for BBMF why not add a few more single engined fighters too - there will be bombers in US colours, so why no "little friends" such as P51 and P47 too? While it's a great line up, just think "what if...." Paul F

Member for

16 years 4 months

CAA regs I think - no single engine fighters over London, with the BBMF Spits/Hurricanes as exceptions, as they're officially RAF aircraft. They deem that an engine failure would be catastrophic as the aircraft cannot rely on a secondary engine or prolonged gliding abilities to avoid the built up areas in such a situation. Or so I believe anyway.
Profile picture for user Yak 11 Fan

Member for

19 years 9 months

What's with all the combines at Leg ends??? Will there be a ploughing match at the September show???

Member for

16 years 7 months

I believe that in the event of an engine failure of a BBMF aircraft they are instructed to ditch in the Thames river Maybee Avros Finest can confirm?
Profile picture for user DGH

Member for

15 years 8 months

What's with all the combines at Leg ends??? Will there be a ploughing match at the September show???
Don't know this DemoTeam arrived today!
Attachment Size
06173631.JPG 148.42 KB

Member for

16 years

I read on a the Aviodrome forum that the Dutch Cat has a new engine and would be flying soon, just how soon I don't know.
Profile picture for user Avro's Finest

Member for

16 years

I believe that in the event of an engine failure of a BBMF aircraft they are instructed to ditch in the Thames river Maybee Avros Finest can confirm?
You clever boy. All we have to do then is teach the driver/airframe to swim before he straps on his steed - job done. Ta Ta.

Member for

14 years 9 months

CAA regs I think - no single engine fighters over London, with the BBMF Spits/Hurricanes as exceptions, as they're officially RAF aircraft. They deem that an engine failure would be catastrophic as the aircraft cannot rely on a secondary engine or prolonged gliding abilities to avoid the built up areas in such a situation. Or so I believe anyway.
Not 100% sure but was it not a BBMF aircraft parking on a crickett pitch some years back, due to an engine that went quiet! yes yes I know dislexic etc. Wot doG
Profile picture for user Avro's Finest

Member for

16 years

Not 100% sure but was it not a BBMF aircraft parking on a crickett pitch some years back, due to an engine that went quiet! yes yes I know dislexic etc. Wot doG
He saw one of the fielders cheating - fair game in my book, park your Spitfire on the crease. Now get your ******* ball past that and hit the stumps. ps. yes it was one of ours....
Profile picture for user Mark12

Member for

19 years 9 months

That is going back a bit...SL574 in 1959. The word was that it was more a 'fuel management' problem by a high ranking officer rather than a 'single engine' problem. Mark

Member for

14 years 9 months

That is going back a bit...SL574 in 1959. The word was that it was more a 'fuel management' problem by a high ranking officer rather than a 'single engine' problem. Mark
I lay no blame ! only that the knee jerk reaction is still suffered to-day. Sprit,Hurri & Hawk all regular visitors to Buck House. All Single Engined. But not in Private ownership. the doG cant help us.
Profile picture for user Skyraider3D

Member for

14 years 11 months

Excellent :) I'm very glad I'm able to go both days this year!
My thoughts exactly :D