Anybody recognise this RAF airfield - circa 1952?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

An interesting line up taken 1952/3 at what looks like an assembly point for a Battle of Britain display.

Can anybody recognise the geography.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Displaylineup52or53-03.jpg

Original post

Member for

20 years

Middle Wallop? - It looks big and grassy.
I know Vampires have operated off grass, but not quite sure about Meteors.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Middle Wallop? - It looks big and grassy.
I know Vampires have operated off grass, but not quite sure about Meteors.

...but that looks like the sea in the distance?

Member for

24 years 2 months

...but that looks like the sea in the distance?

Albert,

No not the sea. Just a grainy old negative taken by my uncle. He probably flew the Meteor in from Leuchars but I can't pin it down in his logbook.

There are more clues that will help this identification but in the first instance I am looking for a cold ID.

Mark

Member for

19 years 2 months

Odiham or Wallop jumped into my head

Member for

24 years 2 months

benson?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Could it be Netheravon.

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is not a quiz.

I do not know what UK RAF airfield this is.

An analysis of the code letters on some of the aircraft give clues to their 'home bases'. There is a Spitfire and a Tempest in the line.

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Damn, wish I was at home where my records are; I could probably tell you straight away. Anyway, a wild guess - Ouston?

Member for

19 years 2 months

That rolling countryside certainly 'feels' like Netheravon, but what amuses me are the 'erks' obviously being rollocked by their Flight Sergeant in the bottom right-hand corner!

Member for

20 years 2 months

I was based at both Netheravon & Middle Wallop but it doesn't look like either of these to me...

Member for

20 years 2 months

BTW - are those guns butts or a rifle range in the background? Could be a clue? If they are gun butts then that would eliminate Netheravon.

Member for

19 years 2 months

In my time in the RAF and Army I have been based at or near Lossie, Kinloss, Middle Wallop and Netheravon and that dosn't look like any of them. The hills are reminiscent of Yorkshire.....but otherwise....?

Jon

Member for

20 years 8 months

A very wild stab in the dark - Pendeford, Wolverhampton!

Member for

18 years 8 months

mystery airfield

i think its morton valance if not could be spitalgate grantham linc s , dab (dragline)

Member for

19 years 2 months

Worthy Down?

Member for

18 years 8 months

It looks like Henlow from the view shown.

Member for

19 years 2 months

It looks like Henlow from the view shown.

By George I think you've got it! If you look at the top left of the picture, you can see what appears to be Pirton water tower, about three miles South West of Henlow.

The picture appears to have been taken from the old control tower, currently the Henlow Flying Club buildings. The retaining wall around the fuel area is in part I think, still there. The main Henlow Camp buildings are out of sight behind the photographer on the East side of the aerodrome.

Member for

19 years 7 months

The building on the bottom left looks like a "expansion period" crash tender shed, built out of concrete. The vehicle on the bottom right is a 500 gallon Bedford water tanker used in fire-fighting.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Probably for putting the grass out after the Vampire and Meteors left.

These days Henlow relies on the farmer's baling machine to set the grass on fire!