Spitfire in Zurich yesterday - Spitfire Trademark rights acquired by Swiss Investor

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Okay folks - here's a translation from the newspapers:

A legend will become a luxury label !

Swiss Entrepreneur Alexander Triebold has acqured the trademark rights of the legendary British Spitfire Fighter aircraft !

Yesterday at Zurich Airport, news were unveiled what will become of the flying Legend "Spitfire". Participant in the news-event was Spitfire BM597 that was flown to Zurich by Clifford Rodney Spink.

The aircraft from WW 2 tells of heroism, glory and honour - this shall lead to a new luxury label, which shall appear in form of Leather Jackets, Watches and Glasses; also planned are Perfumes, trousers and tweeds.

I only relate information here and I simply don't know what to think about this.

Your opinions and insights are highly welcome.

Martin

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Does anyone know who he purchased the trademark rights from?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Martin
I saw a double page in a local Newspaper about this a month ago, I'll see if I can dig it out.
I thought this to be kind of a joke but it seems to be true.

The details given by you match the ones in the other newspaper exactly (Cliff Spink, BM597...)

See you later
Flo

Member for

20 years 10 months

There will be an interesting discussion with a certain UK beer maker if this is true.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Spitfire the perfume.

Someone's been listening to their PR dept, and failed to switch on their brains...

Reminds me of the legal argument between a chap called Laurien and the governing body of a sport played by horsefaced men on ponies.

Member for

18 years 10 months

and tweeds

I can just see James in his 'Spitfire' tweeds with the clipped trouser leg. :D

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Okay folks - here's a translation from the newspapers:

A legend will become a luxury label !

Swiss Entrepreneur Alexander Triebold has acqured the trademark rights of the legendary British Spitfire Fighter aircraft !

Yesterday at Zurich Airport, news were unveiled what will become of the flying Legend "Spitfire". Participant in the news-event was Spitfire BM597 that was flown to Zurich by Clifford Rodney Spink.

The aircraft from WW 2 tells of heroism, glory and honour - this shall lead to a new luxury label, which shall appear in form of Leather Jackets, Watches and Glasses; also planned are Perfumes, trousers and tweeds.

I only relate information here and I simply don't know what to think about this.

Your opinions and insights are highly welcome.

Martin

Where will it stop?

Lancaster Bath Soap?
B-17 Room Fragrance?
Wellington Boots? (sorry)

I find this rather distastefull and not a proper tribute to those who died in these machines.

DS

Member for

20 years 7 months

:D

Indeed Geoff. Tweed stubbies as they are known. ;) However I very much doubt I'll be paying any Swiss 'Entrepreneur' for the trade name.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Order order!

I'll take the 'ten gallon hat' and the 'five gallon trousers'.

Inside leg 32 inches. :)

Mark

Member for

18 years 11 months

Does this add a "Trademark" fee to anything "Spitfire"?

I've not quite got my head around this one, but does this mean anyone using the term Spitfire on any saleable item in the public domain has to pay some form of "royalty" or licence fee to this chap in order to describe the item using the word "Spitfire"?

Does this mean some form of levy being added to any Spitfire scale model or print for example? If so, then while I abhor the fact that the trademark has been sold, then you have to admire the guy's commercial nous.... :(

Just off to raid the piggy bank so that I can purchase the "P51 Mustang" rights.......or maybe "Hurricane".... ;)

Paul F

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hmm

Acquired the rights, or merely registered them as a trademark?

In how many countries?

I think I would be soundly throttled if I bought 'Spitfire' perfume for my wife! Reminds me of 'Miss Jaguar', marketed by the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club.

A bit bonkers, but entirely understandable in these days of consumerisation (is that a word??)

Bruce

Member for

19 years 3 months

More to the point, it could make my favourite pint more expensive!

Member for

21 years 1 month

So now are the Spitfire Mk.26s allowed to be called Spitfires

Legally yes, morally no!

Member for

20 years

Hi All

I think you are all very cruel and I have banked the cheque and paid for early clearance. James and I have "P51D Provinance Pty Ltd " up for sale right now - current bid is $2Mil from a Mr Allen but we are taking firm bids till midnight.

Regards
John P

Member for

24 years 3 months

Where will it stop?

Lancaster Bath Soap?
B-17 Room Fragrance?
Wellington Boots? (sorry)

I find this rather distastefull and not a proper tribute to those who died in these machines.

DS

No different than Spitfire Ale, which uses the name for exactly the same purpose....to make money.

Member for

19 years 4 months

All this means is that no-one else will be able to sell similarly branded Spitfire Perfume, trousers, or whatever. They don't have the complete rights to the name in any other context not specified by them and agreed with the relevant authorities (I imagine our favourite brewer has trademark rights over Spitfire hop-related alcoholic beverages already). There are some copyright/trademark infringement case precendents online that will make the situation clearerm for those that care. You could probably still compete in the Spitfire trouser market with some careful wording, so those dreams are not yet shattered!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Coming soon, to a shop/store near you..

More thoughts.....

I presume we may soon see the brand name Spitfire adorning such tasteful :rolleyes: items as "1940's style digital radios", "1940's style 21st Century technology Multi-tools" "1940's style Aluminium Thermos Flasks" and other such pseudo-1940's reproduction styled tat, as has been seen recently bearing the name of an early American Atlantic-crossing flying machine.... Not sure Lindbergh actually took a digital radio with him, but maybe I'm mistaken.....

How many people will look at the brand "Spitfire" and think "..oh, that name means quality, heritage, strength, courage.." or whatever - I suspect far more will look at the perfume/luggage/pair of trousers and say "What the f0rk has that got to do with a Spitfire?".

Unless of course the perfume smells of hot engine oil, hi-octane petrol and dope :D .

The well known beer brewed in Kent is acknowledged by SN to be named as a tribute to the Spitfire, and not to out of some misguided PR guru's thoughts that the beer's name will be associated with attributes of the fighter itself and thus lead gullible punters to buy it....or so they claim.

Whatever next....how about trademarking other famous aircraft, the possibilities are endless:

"Lightning" - A new Diet-product brand (think about it..)
"Swift" -a Next-day courier service
"Mosquito" - the ultimate Insect repellant

Think I'll steer clear of the brand "TSR2" as I fear it's not likely to come to much :diablo: ......

Paul F

Member for

24 years 3 months

No different than Spitfire Ale, which uses the name for exactly the same purpose....to make money.

Not entirely fair, although all businesses exist to make money.
IIRC, Spitfire was brewed to celebrate an anniversary of the BofB and was so popular that Shepherd Neame added it to their standard range.

During the 60's, BSA produced a Spitfire motorbike and the Triumph Spitfire was in production for, I guess, 15 years or so.

It would be interesting to know exactly what they've bought, and who from.

Member for

19 years 5 months

My understanding of intellectual property law is that trade marks tend to give you rights in only certain areas, so perhaps the Swiss businessman can use Spitfire as a trademark for luxury items but has no rights in respect of other (essential) items like model kits and beer. BSA made a Spitfire motorbike and also a Sptifire rifle. I think that the tradenames for Triumph cars are owned by Jaguar (now under Ford) so presumably they have the right to use Spitfire as a name for cars but (sadly) no longer make such cars.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hmmm...

The name "Spitfire" has been applied to a lot of things - motorbikes, cars, beer, skateboards(!). It's really just a name or phrase. Unless he has some kind of trademark image, like the Nike swoosh or the leaping puma, THAT's what'll have to be paid for, not the name itself.

Happy to be corrected.

Member for

24 years 3 months

BMW acquired the rights to all the constituent companies when they bought Austin/Rover. I think I read that they kept them when they sold off Longbridge and Land-Rover.