Aircraft designation: "Super"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

Which was the first manufacturer to use the designation "Super" (eg. Super Etendard) to its planes? Dassault or Boeing?

Original post

Member for

21 years

Piper - Super Cub? Just a thought

Member for

21 years

What about......Lockheed.......... :confused:

Super Constellation

Member for

18 years 10 months

B29 Superfortress? That came into production before the Super Cub and Super Constellation, right?

Member for

21 years

B29 Superfortress? That came into production before the Super Cub and Super Constellation, right?

Certainly before the Super Connie, not sure about the Cub :confused:

Member for

24 years 2 months

The 'Super' marine Spitfire first flew in 1936!! :D

I'll get my coat...................

Ken

Member for

19 years 1 month

1930 Breguet 19 Super Bidon... ?

Cheers,
Oliver

Member for

19 years

Thanks Oliver....
Just a couple of days ago I came across a photo of a Br 19 I have -but can't remember where I acquired it.
Roger Smith.

Member for

24 years 2 months

During the war years there were projects for the Super Stirling and Super Halifax.

Cees

Member for

18 years 7 months

How 'bout the Hawker Super-Fury(1930's) or the B-29 Super Fortress (1940's)? Dassault came to use that word on their aircraft in the mid 50's with the Super Mystere.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Or the Bristol Superfreighter.

Best wishes
Steve P

Member for

19 years 5 months

I don't know if the B-29 qualifies....
It's name is Superfortress (one word). Since there never was a plane just named the "Fortress" .... I don't think it's what "Crazypilot" had in mind when he started the thread.

BTW: Here are some dates for the American aircraft:

Fokker Super Universal: US subsidiary (Atlantic Aircraft Corp.) larger version of the Universal...also built in Canada and Japan. ff: 1927

Lockheed Super Constallation : 1950

Piper Super Cub: ff:1949 (Taylor/Piper Cub dates to the 30's). And it wasn't the first "super" Piper...The PA-12 Super Cruiser...a postwar development of the three-seat J-5 first flew in 1945.

Douglas Super DC-3 (extensively modified DC-3/Dakota). ff. 1949

North American F-100 Super Sabre: ff:1953

Beechcraft Super 18...a development of the classic Model 18..ff: 1954

Aero Space Lines Super Guppy...outsized Boeing 377: 1960s

Bell 47J-3 Super Ranger, an Agusta developed version of the 47J. Some used for ASW missions by the Italian Navy. FF: mid-1960s.

Cessna 337 Super Skymaster/O-2 (a retractable gear development of the 336 "Skymaster". ff. 1965

Super Jolly Green Giant (Sikorsky HH-53): USAF version ff: 1967

There are many unofficial "supers". Although not a factory designation, DHC-1 Chipmunks modified for aerobatics were known as "Super Chimpmunks". ( I believe the first was Art Scholl's plane now in the NASM). Likewise, some modified PBY Catalinas were named "Super Cats".

Member for

18 years 7 months

I thought the there was only the Stratofortress...
J Boyle is right. I just asked which was the first manufacturer to use the "Super" designation to a radically modified version of the same aircraft. Eg Mystere-> Super Mystere, Harrier-> Super Harrier (BAE was considering a stealth Harrier in 1990) Hornet-> Super Hornet etc.
I read of the "Super Mustang", but this is a code name of USAF pilots because it was using Rolls-Royce engine while operating in Britain

Member for

18 years 10 months

The name Superfortress was a deliberate reference to the new B-29 being much bigger and better than the B-17 "Flying Fortress", as all of you should know! So yes, there WAS an aircraft named "Fortress" before the "Superfortress".

Member for

19 years 5 months

The name Superfortress was a deliberate reference to the new B-29 being much bigger and better than the B-17 "Flying Fortress", as all of you should know! So yes, there WAS an aircraft named "Fortress" before the "Superfortress".

You mean there was a Boeing bomber before the B-29??? :rolleyes:

No, the B-29 doesn't count...of course the name was supposed to invoke the B-17, but because "Superfortress " is one word not two like the "Flying Fortress" I don't think it was meant to imply an improved B-17.

And it's not an improved B-17. The B-29 has virtually nothing in common with the 17. Now if it were the B-50 as it relates to the the 29, or the Lincoln / Lancaster, it could possibly make sense, but the 29 wasn't an improved 17. Boeing knew that and I think they wanted everyone else to know it too.
Anyway, if that's what Boeing meant they would have named the plane the "Super Flying Fortress"....