Airworthy Venom's And Vampire's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Here are some pics of the Kennet Venom

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

Its pleasing that there's still a few of these flying in so many parts of the world. It strikes me that the relatively long service life of these aircraft and the number still airworthy is a tribute to the original designers. Same goes for some other early jets such as Meteor, Canberra and Hunter.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Andrew,

How are you getting on with it - it must be almost a year since you acquired it! I had a look at its sister ship again the other day. Tempting...!

Bruce

Bruce,

It will be a year in January since i acquired my Vampire. Over the summer i've cleaned it up a bit and found some missing instruments. I am now waiting to hear back from Barry Parkhouse about bringing his crane back down to move it into postioin and put the wings back on.

Where is the other Vampire now?

Member for

20 years

Were the Vampire and Venom built in the same way as the Mosquito, with the same materials? I know they are wood. I was just wondering if they are the same, because so many people talk about the delamination and breakdown of the glues with Mosquitoes - yet I'm sure these cannot be two different, can they? Or am I right off the mark here. If they were constructed using the same methods and materials, how do the operators overcome the problems Mossies have? Is the vibration of the jet less harsh on the airframe?

Member for

20 years 3 months

Venom/Vampire construction

Dave

"Were the Vampire and Venom built in the same way as the Mosquito, with the same materials? I know they are wood. I was just wondering if they are the same, because so many people talk about the delamination and breakdown of the glues with Mosquitoes - yet I'm sure these cannot be two different, can they? Or am I right off the mark here. If they were constructed using the same methods and materials, how do the operators overcome the problems Mossies have? Is the vibration of the jet less harsh on the airframe?"

Yes, in part the venom/vampire fuselage (pod) is made in the same way as the Mosquito, constructed using the same methods and materials. The main difference is that the vampire/venom's main load bearing structures, ie. the wings, tailplane and booms are all aluminium. The vampire/venoms wooden fuselage/cockpit is essentially a large fairing that is fixed to the front of the wing spar, housing the pilot, nav, and/or radar, depending on Mark. The fuselages do suffer from delamination, if not maintained properly, just like the mosquito. The difference is that the delamination suffered by Mosquitos and Hornets was mainly in the wing, which is the main load bearing structure.

Wood delamination mainly occurs if an airframe is stored outside for a long time, and especially if there is damage to the fabric covering. This is worsened in the case of the mosquito/hornet by operation in humid climates, and pulling high G in manoeuvers.

Current opperators of the type generally keep them hangared all of the time, and give them an easier life. However, once the airframe hours are used up, they are up! The airworthy population is only getting smaller, with very few restorations happening.

Member for

20 years

Thanks David. That explains everything very well. Cheers.

I never realised the Vampire and Venom had metal wings but now I think about it, it makes sense. I've never looked that hard at the types.

Member for

19 years

Dave
The main difference is that the vampire/venom's main load bearing structures, ie. the wings, tailplane and booms are all aluminium. The vampire/venoms wooden fuselage/cockpit is essentially a large fairing that is fixed to the front of the wing spar, housing the pilot, nav, and/or radar, depending on Mark. The fuselages do suffer from delamination, if not maintained properly, just like the mosquito. The difference is that the delamination suffered by Mosquitos and Hornets was mainly in the wing, which is the main load bearing structure.

Are you right about the wooden fuselage being non-load bearing?

The times that I have "played" with Vampires I don't recall the wing spar running through the fuselage but bolted to brackets mounted on each side.

Roger Smith.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The centre section spars are made from steel, and are bolted to the very rear of the pod. They run across the back, and also support the engine. There is an auxiliary pick up which attaches to the bulkhead on which the pilots seat is mounted, but essentially, as David says, the fuselage is a big fairing. Once you get your head round it, it is a very clever design!

Andrew,

The other aircraft is still at Doncaster. I am tempted, but have nowhere to keep it!

Bruce

Member for

19 years

ok - I'm wrong again!!!

Roger Smith.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Does anyone know how G-DHZZ is doing these days?

T J

Member for

20 years 2 months

What has happened to the two Vampires, FB.6 and T.55 that were delivered to Jordan from Bournemouth to form the Royal Jordanian Historic Flight? Have they ever been flown since delivery, or are they gathering dust in some hangar in Jordan?

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thread back from the dead!

After seeing John Luff’’s example after work at our local airport and then flying over our house not long ago (informative article linked below) I got to wondering: what’s the current worldwide tally of flying Venoms?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-...ectid=11121382

Member for

24 years 2 months

Crikey, you aren't kidding! Reading through the above, I did acquire the aircraft I lusted after, then sold it again.

Currently airworthy Venoms? Fewer than 5 I reckon, and indeed I can only think of two off hand. Not much prospect of any more to come either.

Member for

18 years 2 months

With regard to the question of John Travolta's Vampire F3, Registration N6878D, assigned serial number VP773, built for the RAF, but was transferred to the RCAF and given the serial number 17072 .

The aircraft made an emergency, wheels up, landing after engine failure at "Wings over Rochester" show in 2009 and the remains are currently in storage at the Air, Land and Sea Museum at Markham Airport.

The last I heard was that it had been acquired by the National Air Force Museum of Canada at Trenton. Their shop is busy right now with restoration of their Lancaster which is scheduled for completion for the 100th
Anniversary of the founding of the Royal Canadian Air Force in June 2024.

Member for

11 years

Vampires in Australia:
T.11 VH-ZVZ RRAF119 was grounded last year
T.35 VH-VAM A79-617 currently being returned to flight (last flew about 5 years ago?)
T.35 VH-FJW A79-637 first post-restoration flight expected next few months - last flew circa 1970
T.35 A79-659 currently under restoration to fly - last flew circa 1968
FB.9 R1382 (SAAF 252) currently under restoration to fly - last flew circa 1980
(plus about 50 not about to fly!!!)

Member for

12 years 1 month

Hello,

There were at least 3 Vampire in airworthy conditions at Melun-Villaroche near Paris.
Unfortunately, a few weeks ago a fire completely destroyed one of them and heavily damaged a second one.
See this article (in french but for the pictures) : https://www.aerobuzz.fr/breves-aviation-generale/deux-vampire-en-feu-a-melun-villaroche/

I know about at least one vampire flying in Switzerland (Based at Sion Airport) and the owner of this one has also a Venom very close to make its first flight : video of the first engine run last year :