Legends 2006

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Okay, i know you lot seem to get fed up of Legends threads, but i'm a bit curious about it as i've never been before. 2006 should be a great year for me, i'll have a car before too long so i can go to all the airshows and museums i've wanted to without having to rely on family members being free and willing to take me, one of the reasons why i should be helping the TFC on their Beaufighter.

At Legends, is the flying very intense, ie an aircraft pretty much constantly flying, or are their long breaks between displays? Also, do aircraft only fly in formations, or do aircraft such as the HAC Hurricane do a solo display and in a formation later on in the show?

Cheers in advance, can't wait to go it looks like a great event

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Best thing you could do is get the Video for '96 and another . . .they are a good indication of what to expect - without the smells of course. Take lots of cash to buy your books and prints and fat-boy burgers.

You'll love it and won't miss another one ever!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Cheers, knowing my spending habits i'll spend more on books etc than i will on the car i need to get there!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Cheers, knowing my spending habits i'll spend more on books etc than i will on the car i need to get there!

Hey, go by horse and cart - save ££££'s, see you there!

Andy.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Seem to get fed up !!!! asking this 10 months prior to the display really takes the biscuit.

Hey dude you can't knock enthusiasm :) I wish I was that age again . . .(hear hear says Mrs Mac . . .) :(

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've been to the last three and NEVER been disappointed. It's worth it. The flying is superb and a wonderful showcase not only for the pilots but all those behind the scenes who spend time barking their knuckles getting the aircraft ready.

The Legends are not only the aircraft, but the people as well.

Now can we put this thread back in its box to be unwrapped only within six weeks of the event?

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Member for

20 years 2 months

Seem to get fed up !!!! asking this 10 months prior to the display really takes the biscuit.

Indeed, peeps making Legends posts more than 3 months prior should be shot at dawn ! :diablo: :diablo:

Member for

20 years 11 months

At Legends, is the flying very intense, ie an aircraft pretty much constantly flying, or are their long breaks between displays? Also, do aircraft only fly in formations, or do aircraft such as the HAC Hurricane do a solo display and in a formation later on in the show?

Yes, no, yes.

It's an unforgettable experience!

Member for

18 years 9 months

Oh no not another one! Why cant people just be surprised by Legends? Yes it maybe THE premier Warbird event. but has alot of other important aspects besides the nostolagia. I hear from many people (not anybody from the Forum)that they go to see the masses of Spitfires. Legends also hosts one of largest gatherings of WW2 Aces aswell and this is sometimes overlooked by some members of the public.
Rlangham,
Legends has the Nostalgia of a bygone era and has made itself a tradition of great displays over the years with many special guests as well as visiting aircraft from around the globe. I can honestly say I have NEVER been dissapointed at Legends and I hope you have a wonderful experince.
NS
P.S keep up the enthusiasm.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I haven't missed Legends or Classic Fighter (was it called that before Legends?) for nearly 25 years, in fact I plan summer holidays and illnesses around it.If it disappoints, it's time to find a new interest

Member for

19 years 6 months

Gentlemen,

Please give our keen newcomer a break!

If the hallowed inner sanctum of the Flypast Magic Circle are so annoyed at 'ordinary' people daring to ask such horrific questions, which may seem so mundane and oft repeated to those with the 'inside' knowledge, then why don't you set up an FAQ so that these new people don't bother you with subjects that you consider as petty, inappropriate, frivolous and pedantic?

Consider topics in your FAQ such as. Study your Warbirds books for five years before you dare to post a question. Don't talk about Spitfires...

Your responses hardly encourage new blood into the industry, for which long term survival, interest in it depends.

I like this forum and most of the contributors, but some of you act like a stuffy bunch of insular grey haired old men who have been confined to the smokey drawing room of your London club for too long.

What will be or not be at Legends or any other display next year is up for grabs in any discussion and at any time as far as I am concerned.

Give him a break.......................

You could of course exercise your right of silence if you don't like a post? :D

Member for

19 years 2 months

Rlangham...Like you got my first Car and went in 97, been every year since.....Simply AWESOME!

See you there! ;)

Member for

20 years 6 months

Gentlemen,

Please give our keen newcomer a break!

If the hallowed inner sanctum of the Flypast Magic Circle are so annoyed at 'ordinary' people daring to ask such horrific questions, which may seem so mundane and oft repeated to those with the 'inside' knowledge, then why don't you set up an FAQ so that these new people don't bother you with subjects that you consider as petty, inappropriate, frivolous and pedantic?

Consider topics in your FAQ such as. Study your Warbirds books for five years before you dare to post a question. Don't talk about Spitfires...

Your responses hardly encourage new blood into the industry, for which long term survival, interest in it depends.

I like this forum and most of the contributors, but some of you act like a stuffy bunch of insular grey haired old men who have been confined to the smokey drawing room of your London club for too long.

What will be or not be at Legends or any other display next year is up for grabs in any discussion and at any time as far as I am concerned.

Give him a break.......................

Hear Hear.

AF (Ex BBMF)

Member for

24 years 3 months

My point is that I personally don't see the point in discussing what is going to be there and what isn't. I feel I am priveleged to be able to see what I do see. Ok, this aircraft doesn't turn up, that one goes tech, but look what we do get to see. I personally don't enjoy all the speculation which is why I don't join in.

But to answer Rlanghams question, if you're anything like me you will miss seeing something because you are never altogether sure what's happening next.

Go, enjoy, and don't be disappointed by any no-shows. What you will see more than makes up for it.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Member for

21 years 1 month

Stop wishing your life away Son.

This years season isnt over yet.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think the point is the world doesn't revolve around Legends and Duxford, Legends tends to be a very impersonal place, lots of people pushing for the best view, and not caring about who is around them or whose toes they're stepping on, however a visit to the Red Lion afterwards is worth the hassle, but there again sharing a room with Snapper may not be.

I've been to Legends the last 3 years, and will be there next year, however I also hope to get to (dare I say it) Shuttleworth amongst others, it's been drummed into me that over the past few years by the Croydon Short Wearer and the Wallsall Human Camera Trolley that this is the place to be, I hope to see this.

Personally I like Legends but enjoy the smaller shows and venues, lets hope Chailey will happen in 2006.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ian, if you get the chance, go to Shoreham next year, that's another one of the best :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Take yourself off to legends if you want. Then, and this is important, form your own opinion of the show don't just take on-board the opinions of others. They may know the colour of socks any particular pilot is wearing when zooming in his Spit-tang or whatever, but your own impressions are what counts in the long run.

If by some chance you happen to get to Waddo next year come across to the Canberra Assoc flight line enclosure, I'll let you in and we'll make you welcome. You can mingle with and talk informally to blokes who actually flew with the RAF in the days we had a proper air force - Cans, Vulcs, Shacks, Victors, Lightnings, Hunters, Buccs, etc. You may just get more than you bargin for though as they're not easy to shut-up when in the "There I was . . " mode!!

Member for

20 years

Well Chaps

I personally Love Legends

Speculation is all part of the fun and shouldn't be derided - just don't read the posts if it bores you !!!

Whilst I am lucky to be able to go to the UK every year to see the Legends or whatever I try not to loose my perspective - If you want the best setting in the world with some up close breathtaking flying try WANAKA in New Zealand - Now that is one truely great airshow with lots to offer and see- perhaps not quite the numbers of Dux but every bit as exciting.

In 2006 I expect there will be the La9 , Polikarpovs, Yak 9, 3 P40s at least , two Spits at least, 2 P51s at least, a Corsair, Hurricane etc all mixed in for a great show against alpine snow capped "Lord of the Rings mountains - Now thats worth seeing.

John P

PS saw a very nice pair of P40B wings the other day which should be there in 2006 !!!

Member for

20 years 7 months

a stuffy bunch of insular grey haired old men who have been confined to the smokey drawing room of your London club for too long.

Oooo. Can I join? Sounds like the place to be.

One of the problems with a forum such as this is the same questions do tend to come up regular. Too bad. It would be nice to have a FAQ of regular questions, but hey, it's like instructions. When did you last read them first? :D

Legends? Is that an airshow then?

Member for

24 years 3 months

OK I've broken my silence, I'm one of those grey haired, wrinkly old buffers, four eyed, toothless eejit too :p