Polebrook B17s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hi

Help with a little research if anyone can.

We've more or less finished the research for our first publication which is about RAF Ashbourne, RAF Darley Moor and 42 OTU. Done the usual stuff, servicemen/women interviews, local paper info requests, IWM, National Archives, RAF Museum etc etc.

Whilst looking through ORBs, on the 9/9/43 three B17s from Polebrook diverted to Ashbourne (Derbyshire). As it was an unusual event at Ashbourne we are mentioning it, in the interests of detail we would like to know the aircraft, serials / names and the target they were returning from.

Extensive research, even via internet to the USA has turned nothing up. We could obtain ORBs from Polebrook we know and it may be a last resort.

Anyone fill in the blanks ?

As a side issue Kev35 (I believe) made reference recently to the difficulties of research for a book / project and the cost etc involved. We have the advantage of already having a publisher, even so the work has been immense, costly in terms of time and money (copyright, photos etc) but very enjoyable and rewarding. Anyone taking on a major project should really be prepared for this, it surprised us!!

Cheers

Original post

Member for

19 years

According to The Army Air Forces in WW II Combat Chronology, the 8th dispatched a record no of bombers that day for Operation Starkey ("a rehearsal for the invasion of France"). They attacked airfields in northern France and a Paris industrial area. Roger Freeman's Mighty Eighth War Diary may have a bit more detail but I don't own a copy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is the only entry I could find in the Mighty Eighth War Diary on the 9/9/43.
Hope this helps if at all.

Regards.

Brian.

Attachments