Anson drawings?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

We, at the RCAF Memorial Museum at Trenton, Ontario, have just about finished the Halifax restoration after 10years and 4 months work and we are about to start on the restoration of an Anson II. Does anyone know of the location of any early model Anson drawings?

Someone thought the aircraft would take up less space if the wing was chainsawed into short lengths, so we urgently need main spar drawings. :mad:

I have received negative responses from IWM London, I am awaiting a response from IWM Duxford and the RAF Museum. I have tried all the Canadian options (the Mk II was a Mk I built in Canada with Jacobs engines and some other changes such as hydraulic u/c, heaters and less windows etc.) but thus far no luck. :(

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

BCAM

Have you tried contacting the BCAM in Victoria BC Canada?
They just finished an Anson restoration last summer. I don't belive it was a MkII, however they may still have some drawings of use to you...Good Luck and the Halifax looks Great! Just wish something of that scale could happen on the west coast of Canada!

Just checked the BCAM web site - Their Anson is a MK II! Good Luck.

Neil Medcalf

Member for

18 years 8 months

You might like to try and find the Aeroplane Collection (Last heard of at Hooton Park in Cheshire) as I recall my family donating a collection of AVRO blue prints to the Northern Aircraft Preservation Society (TACs original name).
The prints were from a collection of momentos of my grandfather who was Works foreman at AVROs Newton Heath factory during WW2.
The collection of drawings certainly contained the wing jigs for the Lancaster, these being modified from Manchester jig drawings on the kitchen table by my grandfather. I recall that some Anson drawings were in the collection as well.
However I don't know if the drawings still exist (or TAC for that matter).

Member for

20 years 4 months

It is worth trying Avro Heritage at Woodford.

Avro Heritage Group
BAE Systems
Woodford
Stockport
SK7 1QR

There will be issues with letting plans go with regard to product liability but there is no reason these cannot be dealt with. I presume the Anson won't fly so there should be no problem. Even better, offer them stage by stage photographs for their archive.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Neil,
Thanks, I have been in ccontact with most of the Canadian Museums and the contact at BCAM is away until the weekend when, hopefully,he will contact me with some good news.
Deryck

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Fouga,
Thanks for the suggestion, Greenwood is already working with us on this.
Deryck

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Aeronut,
This sounds promising, I will attempt to follow it up.
Thanks
Deryck

Member for

19 years 1 month

Hi

Hi
Great work on the Halifax. One question will there be any pics available of the interior when finished. I hope it will not be like YAM's example were no pics of the interior have been forthcoming for many years. Some vets have been allowed inside but I have seen no pics posted anywhere. Good luck with the Anson and if its anything like the Halifax it will be a cracker.

Cheers
Phil

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hi Deryck.

I was at the museum on Sunday to snap a few pictures of the Halifax. What a great job you guys have done!!

I also took a few pictures of the Anson. I hope you don't mind, but I thought I would just post them here instead of starting my own new thread. I understand the aircraft came from western Canada. Might you be able to tell us more about the identity of this aircraft?

Keep up the great work!
Mike

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mike didn't this come from wetaskiwin?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks BarnOwl,
Looks like a late Mark, 19, 20 or 21, with metal wings. I have forwarded them to the shop.
Deryck

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Halibag Phil, There was no restriction on our taking any pictures of the interior when I was last there. The only restraint was the interior was not finished in time for the official "Unveiling". (Let's face it some of the exterior wasn't either!) I have taken Press folks through the interior to shoot stuff, the only restriction was they were not to publish prior to the official unveiling. Final plans were talking about video cameras in the interior for folks to see the layouts. If there is anything particular you want let me know. Deryck

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Turretboy, Good shots! I am in Florida and have not been in the shop for a while, they seem to be moving along with the sorting out. The aircraft came from Wetaskiwin, I am not sure of the exact id. I can try to find out. We dismantled and packed up a Tutor for them and they shipped us the remains of the Anson. We have a Yukon sitting down in South America someplace and I hear rumours of a Tiger Moth and a Harvard, so we can use some more volunteers! Deryck

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi Peter,
Yes.
Deryck

Member for

19 years 7 months

Possibly the Harvard from Smith Falls?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Anson

A total of five Anson wings have been built in Canada to date, These are the example in Calgary( Calgary Aerospace Museum, Saskatoon (Western Development Museum) Alberta Aviation Museum, Edmonton and at Brandon( CATP Museum). I am sure that Calgary would be the place to start, as you can see what a job they did on building up the wings. I think it took them almost 15 years to do it.There was an article in a CAHS journal a few years ago about the restoration.
The Greenwood Anson also came from Wetaskawin, where there are at least three or pieces of left.
Most of the museums have taken a different approach with building the wings. Some have built outer wings to add on to cut center spars, while Calgary started from scratch with basic spars and built the complete wing up.As with all these aircraft, the identity is always a little suspect unless you find a plate.

MRP

Attachments

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi MRP, I am waiting for the guy I need at Calgary to get back to me. It sure sounds like it might be the place to start.

Thanks

Deryck

Member for

20 years 7 months

MRP - excellent post. I think you've missed a 6th (not sure - I didn't know of any of the ones you've mentioned!) at Sidney, BC with BCAM, just finished recently. From talking to them they were looking at the 'cut spar' approach. (Note it was mentioned by Neil at the beguinning, but there are some great photos off from the aircraft's own page. Enjoy.

BCAM Anson

Member for

19 years 1 month

Thanks Deryck

Hi
The only interior bits I still need are the top escape hatches interior and exterior if poss. Thanks to the wonderfull pictures from the likes of Turretboy, British Cannuk and others I have been able to sit and stare for hours on end. Great idea on making the interior available by video.
I myself have endevored to take longer building a model than you did the real thing :o
I am very very lazy though :)

Cheers
Phil

http://photobucket.com/albums/y149/HalibagPhil/