Operational Record Books at Group Level

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Does anyone have any experience of Group Operation record books and the details that they contain. I particularly interested in 10 Groups ORB between June 1943 and Dec 1943, when Sqn Ldr Geoffrey B Warnes was posted away from 263 Sqn for a rest as a staff officer with 10 Group.

Also what records are held at the national archives on Barrage Balloon Units ?

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

Ian,

I have looked at Group ORB's for 221 Grp in India and find that they are not particularly enlightening. They are usually just a monthly summary of the units under control of the group with details of hours flown etc.

They don't often mention staff officers

Regards

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Dave

Could this be down to the individual Groups, as it is to the Sqn ORB's some are more enlightening than others ???

Member for

19 years 8 months

10 Group's ORB and its appendices (AIR 25/186 for 1943) are invaluable for giving a big picture perspective on operations. Squadron ORBs are (sometimes) good on the who, what and when, but weak on the "why?"

However they are "Operations" record books and generally record only operational activity. As far as Staff officers like Geoff Warnes are concerned they will generally only record his posting in and out, but give little detail as to what he was doing while there.

Is there something specific you're looking for - I may have an answer somewhere in my notes?

NiallC

Member for

24 years 3 months

10 Group's ORB and its appendices (AIR 25/186 for 1943) are invaluable for giving a big picture perspective on operations. Squadron ORBs are (sometimes) good on the who, what and when, but weak on the "why?"

However they are "Operations" record books and generally record only operational activity. As far as Staff officers like Geoff Warnes are concerned they will generally only record his posting in and out, but give little detail as to what he was doing while there.

Is there something specific you're looking for - I may have an answer somewhere in my notes?

NiallC

Hi Niall

I'm gradually piecing together Warnes career; I would be interested to find out what his main duties were with 10 Group. Peter Brothers met Warnes several times during his term with 10 group, the one thing that Peter recalls is Warnes rather peculiar habit of tapping his contact lenses with the tip of a pencil, while he was thinking. He left 263 Sqn for 10 group on or about 15 June 1943 and returned to 263 Sqn in December.