Ejection seats

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

Hi there

I am new to this site and just thought I would ask are there any other people out there interested in ejection seats.

7A2

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

7A2

Welcome to this site, Try this address for a great ejection seat website.

www.ejectorseats.co.uk

Regards

John.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The scary thing about bang seats is their acceleration. 0-60mph in 4 inches and 0-375mph in 6 feet. If that doesn't rattle the eyeballs I don't know what will

Member for

18 years 3 months

7A2........ rear Phantom?

Member for

19 years 10 months

The scary thing about bang seats is their acceleration. 0-60mph in 4 inches and 0-375mph in 6 feet. If that doesn't rattle the eyeballs I don't know what will

Oh yeh. I have in my mind that an effect of bang-seats is (always/sometimes?) crushed vertebrae - ie. you trade off a broken back for your life. Is that right - or yet another urban myth?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not a broken back, but a crushed one! I think you will be about an inch shorter after an ejection. And at least in the US you can only eject three times before being taken off flying. As always, I'm happy to stand corrected :D

Member for

19 years 10 months

crushing, breaking ~ it's all the same. Trash a bone = break it. I fell off a mountain bike a few years ago, perfect head first dive into the deck. What they call a superman fall, very popular with horse riders. Crushed/burst 3 vertebrae. The docs told me I'd broken my back; and taken 4cms off my height; and they told me "don't do it again!" If you crunch 'em one at a time, I guess that's the 3 ejections.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Scariest thing I've ever been told - "Your ejector seat is now live" straight after the pins were removed.

Steve.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh yeh. I have in my mind that an effect of bang-seats is (always/sometimes?) crushed vertebrae - ie. you trade off a broken back for your life. Is that right - or yet another urban myth?

It's much less of a problem with modern rocket powered seats compared with the old ballistic seats.

A rocket seat has a relatively smoother 'push' sustained over a longer time period, i.e. the time the rocket motor burns. The old ballistic seats used explosive charges to literally bang the seat out. Some seats had two charges which fired one after the other which meant that the jolt was about as gentle as it could be, but it was still similar to one big kick up the backside rather than the sustained push from a rocket seat. The firmness of the seat 'cushion' is also very important as it can affect the way in which the force of the ejection is transmitted to the pilot's spine.

For example the Hunter seats were upgraded from using a 60 ft/sec gun to an 80 ft/sec gun and that was found to be about as far as the human body could go without very serious damage every time. There were still a lot of damaged backs, but if the correct posture was adopted (use of the overhead face-screen type of firing handle helped with that) then it could be kept to a minimum. Craig Penrice damaged his back very badly when he banged out of XF516 a few years back because he used the seat pan handle rather than the face-screen and so his posture was all wrong. His day job meant that he was used to modern rocket seats which often only have seat pan handles though so it's understandable I suppose.

Remember to Mig mid-air collision at Fairford a few years back? If I remember correctly the pilot's ejected, then calmly walked away uninjured from the carnage! Also the Harrier crash at Lowestoft - I believe the only injury the pilot sustained was a broken ankle when, after ejecting in the hover, the wind took him back over the aircraft and he landed back on top of it before it sank.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The guy that flew me in a Harrier survived an ejection with a trapped nerve in his neck which left him with a permanent twitch but he said that if he ever had to do it again he wouldn't hesitate.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Scariest thing I've ever been told - "Your ejector seat is now live" straight after the pins were removed.

Steve.

Yep, I recall that feeling.

Member for

20 years 8 months

It's much less of a problem with modern rocket powered seats compared with the old ballistic seats.

A rocket seat has a relatively smoother 'push' sustained over a longer time period, i.e. the time the rocket motor burns. The old ballistic seats used explosive charges to literally bang the seat out. Some seats had two charges which fired one after the other which meant that the jolt was about as gentle as it could be, but it was still similar to one big kick up the backside rather than the sustained push from a rocket seat. The firmness of the seat 'cushion' is also very important as it can affect the way in which the force of the ejection is transmitted to the pilot's spine.

For example the Hunter seats were upgraded from using a 60 ft/sec gun to an 80 ft/sec gun and that was found to be about as far as the human body could go without very serious damage every time. There were still a lot of damaged backs, but if the correct posture was adopted (use of the overhead face-screen type of firing handle helped with that) then it could be kept to a minimum. Craig Penrice damaged his back very badly when he banged out of XF516 a few years back because he used the seat pan handle rather than the face-screen and so his posture was all wrong. His day job meant that he was used to modern rocket seats which often only have seat pan handles though so it's understandable I suppose.

Remember to Mig mid-air collision at Fairford a few years back? If I remember correctly the pilot's ejected, then calmly walked away uninjured from the carnage! Also the Harrier crash at Lowestoft - I believe the only injury the pilot sustained was a broken ankle when, after ejecting in the hover, the wind took him back over the aircraft and he landed back on top of it before it sank.

Even rocket seats are cartridge initiated (or used to be) which is where the kick up the derriere comes from.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Even rocket seats are cartridge initiated (or used to be) which is where the kick up the derriere comes from.

yup, the main gun is to get the seat out of the aircraft, and the rockets are to get you high enough for the parachute to work.

Member for

18 years

Ejection seat

Thanks for all the replies. Does anybody own any?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The rocket from memory is also very useful to actually right the seat and occupant when a traditional type of seat in a lot of cases struggled.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Found another good site with some very interesting video footage of actual ejections......

www.ejectionsite.com

Regards

John

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thanks for all the replies. Does anybody own any?

I suspect a lot of us do.

Mine (awaiting restoration) is here: http://wv838.com/eject.html

Roy.

Member for

20 years 9 months

We have a couple of complete Mk4's for our JP 4 , which are sat looking frustrated, in a fish out of water state at the moment, as they can't go back into their home until it's been decorated.Things get a bit tight once the seats are in.

XS186 CREW

Member for

18 years 2 months

Craig Penrice damaged his back very badly when he banged out of XF516 a few years back because he used the seat pan handle rather than the face-screen and so his posture was all wrong. His day job meant that he was used to modern rocket seats which often only have seat pan handles though so it's understandable I suppose.

Modern Martin Baker Seats are also fitted with a harness retraction system that pulls you right back into the seat before the gun fires. One of the reasons the MB put the face blind and handle on the top of the early seats was to given the correct posture for ejection. The design feature was on the very first seat live fired with Benny Lynch on board out of a Meteor in 1946(?).

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi 7A2 welcome....
Isn't there a test rig still out there,i recall seeing one at a show in the eighties ,the seat was fired up a track about thirty feet i think, the instructor said it wasn't as fast as an actual ejection but as a bystander it looked fast enough to me.
BANG,WIZZ,MAN GONE!!!!!!!

Member for

19 years 7 months

7A2--

I've got the first officer's seat from a Victor K2 in my loft among the memorabilia; the Victor in question was the one that crashlanded on arrival for the 1986 Hamilton airshow, XL191 of 55 Sqn. Exchanged some books to CWH's library for the seat after the RAF left some bits of XL191 to the museum. (CWH didn't want "modern" artifacts back then. The other bang seat from XL191 ended up as an office chair in Burlington; the shell of the nose section from the Victor is now in the Walter Soplata collection in Ohio).

Cheers

S.