Newark Air Museum Spitfire?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Been sent as a .pdf file an Airfix modelling guide to RAF vehicles, I think they were produced in theh 1970's. In it is a couple of photos of a Queen Mary trailer without a tractor, with a Spitfire on the back with the wings stowed alongside the fuselage. The Spitfire is a clipped wing with traditional bubble hood and curved rudder, on the side of the Queen Mary is a banner saying 'NEWARK AIR MUSEUM'.

Does anyone know more about the Spitfire or the Queen Mary trailer? Neither were at my visit to the museum last Wednesday so the Spitfire has obviously moved on and I presume the Queen Mary too. The spinner and propeller from the Spitfire are missing so that doesn't give me any clue as to which mark.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Newark page seems to have missed out the Grasshopper glider and Motor Cadet G-AXMB which I supplied them with a couple of years ago. As for the Queen Mary trailer -it was stored at Newark for a number of years until moving to Spanhoe Lodge. From there it went to Hawkinge where it's on display.

Member for

20 years

David, the people who run that web site are always very grateful for information to keep it up to date - I do my bit by visiting as many museums as possible and checking against their lists as well as providing photographs. I think it is a remarkable resource that deserves wider appreciation and help.
It is ideal for foreign visitors such as myself.
By the way, didn't our paths cross at Newark Air Museum in January?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Indeed we did! I havn't had much of a chance to look at the website - I shall look and send them some emails!

Member for

19 years 2 months

I have a very poor memory but I think the Queen Mary was from "Taskers of Andover" and the Spitfire an ex Belgian one. If I still had all my Copies of "Control Column" (anyone remeber it) the answer would be there.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Spitfire was a IX and the combination was indeed formerly with Taskers at Andover. The Spitfire ended up back in the air with Doug Arnold .

Member for

18 years 2 months

Been sent as a .pdf file an Airfix modelling guide to RAF vehicles, I think they were produced in theh 1970's. In it is a couple of photos of a Queen Mary trailer without a tractor, with a Spitfire on the back with the wings stowed alongside the fuselage. The Spitfire is a clipped wing with traditional bubble hood and curved rudder, on the side of the Queen Mary is a banner saying 'NEWARK AIR MUSEUM'.

Does anyone know more about the Spitfire or the Queen Mary trailer? Neither were at my visit to the museum last Wednesday so the Spitfire has obviously moved on and I presume the Queen Mary too. The spinner and propeller from the Spitfire are missing so that doesn't give me any clue as to which mark.

Extract from Control Column Vol.5 No.4, 1971, “NH238 Spitfire Extraordinary” by Peter Arnold. “The Dispersal of Tasker’s Collection of steam engines and farming implements on 22nd February 1969, attracted more than usual coverage from the world’s press. The object of everyone’s interest was the last lot of the day No. 159 Spitfire Mk IX on Queen Mary Trailer. Finally knocked down at 6,000 guineas to a Scottish consortium etc etc”

I believe the aircraft was loaned to Newark and was used as a fund raiser, being taken to air displays in 1969 and 1970 to help promote the recently formed group. The aircraft was crated and transported to the USA in 1970, arrived Galveston, Texas 14th June 1970.

I guess that the Airfix magazine modelling project referred to was the Gerald Scarborough piece “Modelling a Tasker’s Queen Mary Semi-Trailer”.

Other interesting items that were listed at Newark in early issues of Control Column were the Westland Wallace fuselage now displayed at RAFM Hendon and certain Seafire fuselages, which I now believe form a significant part of a recently restored and soon to be flying airframe!

Member for

19 years

If it was indeed NH238 that you saw, then this was operated in the USA for a bit before passing through David Tallichet and onwards to the late Doug Arnold. It was overhauled at Blackbushe and operated in a standard gren/grey livery with a red spinner as "D-A" for a number of years. It changed into green/brown colours for "Piece of cake" in 1988 with no permanent codes, and by now resident at Biggin Hill. On the owners death in November 1992 it was dismantled and placed in a 40ft shipping container. It has spent time at Bournemouth, Biggin Hill, North Weald and was at Greenham Common in the care of "Flying A Services" (David Arnold, son of Doug) last June. It is still in its container and has not flown since 1992. Unlike the other former members of the Warbirds of Great Britain fleet, it is understood that this aircraft is not for sale. A very original airframe, even if it has got a replacement wing from its air racing days. It would be nice to see it again.

Member for

20 years 7 months

There's a pic of '238 floating around on the forum (I believe posted by Mark12) of NH238, in full EN398/JE-J markings, with clipped wings but sans cannons, flying in formation with one of the CAF Buchons.

I'd post it up, but I can't find the name of the photog to credit it to :(

Member for

18 years 1 month

NH238 during the Doug Arnold days

Here are a couple of pics of NH238 circa 1981/82 first one in primer just after her maiden flight (post restoration) second about 4 weeks later after her respray.

Also have some other pics of the Warbirds of GB taken during the early 80's so will post in a new thread if folk are interested

regards

Cliff

Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

Also have some other pics of the Warbirds of GB taken during the early 80's so will post in a new thread if folk are interested

regards

Cliff

Oh yes! :)

Member for

19 years

Harlingen

NH238, painted as Johnny Johnson's "Airfix" Mk IX, photographed at Harlingen, Texas, August 1973 on my honeymoon!

BTW - anyone interested in the forthcoming new edition of Spitfire Survivors can now leave their details at our website.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 5 months

Ive just found my origional copy of this book along with the Tank and afv modelling and modelling jet fighters. They are a great set of books.

Member for

19 years

regards

Cliff[/QUOTE]

That would be excellent! Blackbushe.........The glory days! :)