"Twin-tailed Dragons" pencil sketch (P-38s)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi guys,

Just finished this little pencil sketch for my upcoming Twin-tailed Dragons. The final canvas will be 24 x 32.

Next step is to do a small oil sketch the same size as this pencil sketch to nail down the values and colors. After THAT, I have to put this project aside and finish the final 48" wide The Debden Kidd canvas. The final P-38 canvas is going to the same home as The Debden Kidd, so no problem mixing and matching my time on these two!

I didn't bother with much detail or markings at this small size, but I did 'hint' at the distinctive dragon motif art on the booms (459th FS; Chittagong, India).

The painting will show a few P-38s in mid-May 1944 led by Capt. Walter F. "Bill" Duke's Miss-V. Duke, a 13-victory ace, was KIA in this plane after a sweep over Heho/Meiktila airfield on 6 June 44 when he voluntarily returned to find his missing wingman after the wingman failed to join up after they cleared the target area. Duke said he had plenty of gas and circled back.

Japanese fighters flying at altitude saw his lone P-38 and attacked. After the war Japanese records investigated by US officers confirmed that Duke knocked down three of his attackers before he was shot down himself. These last three victories do not show up on some "official" lists. His wingman actually made it home OK.

The second ship is being flown by Maj. Willard J. Webb.

Twin-tailed Dragons
Pencil on paper
8 x 10 5/8

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Chicoartist/TT_Dragons_pencil_web_041906.jpg

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Now thats what I call talent!!!.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Avery atmospheric and emotive sketch! I like it a lot… ;)

Do you do commission’s?

Best Regards

Mr BlueSky

Member for

18 years 8 months

Avery atmospheric and emotive sketch! I like it a lot… ;) Do you do commission’s?

Thx for the good words ... much appreciated.

The way I've been working is to "advertise" on my site and my email list what my desired (by me - subjects that I'd like to do) upcoming projects are, and I've been pretty lucky in that I have pretty mainstream tastes in subject matter and I've had 'takers' for almost everything, and now am backlogged well over a year.

I certainly will entertain suggestions, however ... :cool:

Wade

Member for

18 years 4 months

Very nice, you are certainely quite an artist!

Member for

20 years 8 months

P-38s aren't normally my thing, but very, very nice! :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Nice work

Nice work Wade - your love for the P51 shows thru and your technical feel for the aircraft , Mustangs at Dawn also awesome - nice cool against warm feel to it - very effective , keep up the good work when you get time !!sounds like you are one busy bloke , do you do aviation art full time ?

best RON

Member for

18 years 8 months

Always nice to see full prop discs!

Heh heh ... my friend Charles Thompson beat me up so much about it that I went "full disc" on my recent works just to get him off my back! :D

As some of you may know, he's VERY opinionated on the subject. I ran out of good arguments, so I was forced to see things his way ...

Actually, on these P-38 discs, the yellow warning tip "circle" will be a little brighter where the sun hits it, and fading off on the rest of the circle. Also notice how the sun casts a 'shadow' on the no. 1 engine's yellow warning "circle".

Nothing worse than bright neon tip circle all the way around, especially on a wartime plane. As with most everything in any genre of representational art, "less is more" is a good rule to follow.

Thx for the kind words everybody.

Wade

Member for

20 years 7 months

grrrr,how can someone have so much talent,not fair :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Prop discs

Yeah Wade - Charles has to be the master on props and his message is getting through to a lot more aviation artists - its ironic that such a great artist like Charles is less well known than many on the Mass Produced Print Market

Member for

18 years 8 months

Update: a collector sent me this photo - I've decided to make it the main subject of my painting. I love the nose art.

The pilot, 2Lt William G. "Bill" Baumeister, Jr. isn't credited with any aerial victories, so it will also represent the vast majority of the non-aces who hung it out there right beside the more famous types.

Wade

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Chicoartist/William_Baumeister_459FS.jpg

Member for

21 years 1 month

Looking good Wade. Still like the look of early small intake 38s better though. Guess I'll hold out for the 80th Headhunters instead :)

That book ever show up btw?

Dan

Member for

18 years 8 months

Dan,

:eek: My apologies! :eek:

Yes, that wonderful book did indeed make it, and I've been drooling over it ever since. Thank you so much for going out of your way like that.

We artists are all so lucky that historians take the time and expense to put their passions into print in books and magazines. Speaking of that, I have to give a shout out to my modeling friends - if it weren't for their insistence on accuracy, and demand for the absolute best information out there, books like Attack & Conquer: The 8th Fighter Group in WWII wouldn't even exist!

Cheers,

Wade