Crashed RAF-bomber Ockenburg

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

There is a story about a crashed RAF-bomber, around August/September 1940 an English Handley Page Hampden bomber made a crash on the Ockenburg-airport in The Hague, The Netherlands. I heard that this plane was coming from Berlin on its way to the UK but was shut down by Germany anti-aircraftguns.

I don't have more informatie but I'm looking for more information on this crash like the planenumber, from wich airfield it was coming from, names of the pilots and other important information. Does someone has information about this or...where can I get more information ?

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

I have 1 Hampden lost to Flak on august 8 1940 that crashed at a place called Oosthuizen. I have no idea where to find Oosthuizen, could this be near The Hague? All other Hampden losses in Holland in august and september that I know of occured at places that are known and none was at Ockenburg.

The Hampden lost on august 8 was P2077 form 44 sq. Waddington. The crew of 4 survived and were taken prisoner.

Harm-Jan Strating

Member for

17 years 9 months

Oosthuizen is in the northern-part of The Netherlands and not near Ockenburg (The Hague). Is there a list of planes who crashed in The Hague in 1940 or later ?

The story is from a witness but it could be an other plane !?

Member for

24 years 3 months

August/September 1940 could be right for a raid on Berlin, I think. IIRC, it was in retaliation for the bombs dropped on London, but I don't know offhand how many raids there were.

Did a Hampden have the range to get to Berlin?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Did a Hampden have the range to get to Berlin?

Yes.

Best wishes
Steve P

Member for

24 years 3 months

Fairy nuff.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I should have added "usually" to that. If weather conditions were unfavourable, Hampdens could struggle to reach their bases on their fuel load.

Best wishes
Steve P

Member for

18 years 5 months

There are a number of avenues of research to take but the most obvious on the internet is 'Lost Bombers': http://www.lostbombers.co.uk/ It might mean a bit of reading though! Another very good record (which shamefully I don't yet have!) is 'Bomber Command Losses' (W. R. Chorley and published by Midland Counties - they're all here (and runs to several volumes here

A quick trawl though Air Britain might reveal some candidates, given that it seems the concensus of opinion is that type is a Hampden?

Chris