Hurricanes in the Loch

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 10 months

Allison thanks for that, I don't suppose you have Sgt Turner's other initials, forenames etc thanks

The accident report for the other Hurricane is here.

Ali

Attachments

Member for

18 years 6 months

A fin:

http://www.oceanimaging.com/Images/sharkfin.jpg
;)

I think you'll find that this is....

http://www.hakkinen.com/mika2000launch.jpg

...sorry, my mistake

Member for

17 years 10 months

No, no. That's the FLYING FINN :D

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hurricane I V6786 of 9 PAFU 07/03/43 Crashed and sank in Loch Leven, about 15 miles SW of Errol at 1315. The pilot is buried in the grounds of Murie House, 3 miles SW of Errol. Sub-Lt(A) Winston Vernon STARK (RNZNVR), of HMS 'Jackdaw' (FAA) - Age 20

Source: "For Your Tomorrow" Vol. II, page 71 by Errol Martyn

Paul, the ORB for 9 (P)AFU has the pilot's rank as Midshipman. He was posted in to RAF Errol as part of No.35 A.F.U. (63 Naval) Course, sometime in Feb. 1943.

Best wishes
Steve P

Member for

24 years 3 months

Steve P

I noticed that as well from the Accident Report - The CWGC has him down as Sub-Lieutenant (A)

I will confirm with Errol Martyn

Paul

Member for

20 years 8 months

That's why I like diving in the UK. If there was lots of clear vis I may see something that really scares me and puts me off diving. :)

Ali

Chicken! ;)

Mind you, they reckon around this time of year, what with "global warming" and all, there's a few "Whiteys" around Cornwall...!

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, no. That's the FLYING FINN :D

Stop being finny

Cees

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ok, on a serious note.

AFAIK local Maintenance Units (MU's) were tasked with the recovery of aircraft wreckage (42MU being a famous one). They worked independent of the unit the aircraft came from and any wreckage recovered was collected and taken to scrapyards to be melted down for aircraft production.

Cees

Member for

17 years 10 months

Chicken! ;)

Mind you, they reckon around this time of year, what with "global warming" and all, there's a few "Whiteys" around Cornwall...!

I have found the details of a few Whitleys that went into Findhorn Bay and was wondering if they were recovered.

Ali.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Chicken! ;)

Here are some of the ones that I have records on including a Bristol Buckmaster.

Bristol Buckmaster RP149 Crashed in Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9047 Ditched in Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9045 Ditched in Findhorn Bay
Whitley V N1486 Ditched off Findhorn
Whitley V N1354 Crashed into Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9031 Crashed into Findhorn Bay

Does anyone know if any of these were recovered or blown up?

Ali

Member for

17 years 10 months

Steve P

I noticed that as well from the Accident Report - The CWGC has him down as Sub-Lieutenant (A)

Paul

Is this one of the cases where an officer was promoted at the time of death so that the next of kin would get more money?

Ali

Member for

20 years 8 months

Here are some of the ones that I have records on including a Bristol Buckmaster.

Bristol Buckmaster RP149 Crashed in Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9047 Ditched in Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9045 Ditched in Findhorn Bay
Whitley V N1486 Ditched off Findhorn
Whitley V N1354 Crashed into Findhorn Bay
Whitley IV K9031 Crashed into Findhorn Bay

Does anyone know if any of these were recovered or blown up?

Ali

WHITEY, not Whitley! Whiteys swim ;)

Member for

18 years 5 months

Nothing in Findhorn Bay, virtually dries at low water,well apart from all the fish which the Ospreys come over to feed on, seen up to 15 at once.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Nothing in Findhorn Bay, virtually dries at low water,well apart from all the fish which the Ospreys come over to feed on, seen up to 15 at once.

Never mind. Never been there.

Ali.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I think you'll find that this is....

http://www.hakkinen.com/mika2000launch.jpg

...sorry, my mistake

.....two fin's with no sense of humour!!!!!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Steve P

Paul

Paul,

Stark was posted to the AFU on 8 Feb 43. His commission is dated 15 Feb 43 but doubtless was still being processed at the time of his fatal accident.

Errol

Member for

17 years 10 months

Paul,

Stark was posted to the AFU on 8 Feb 43. His commission is dated 15 Feb 43 but doubtless was still being processed at the time of his fatal accident.

Errol

I am a keen reader of the history of the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic wars and in those days a Midshipman was classed as a Warrant Officer. I thought that today a Midshipman already had a commission even though a temporary one. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ali

Member for

19 years 2 months

Ali,

According to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (1984 ed):

"Midshipman...In the navy, a rank intermediate between that of naval cadet and that of sub-Lieutenant..."

"Warrant Officer...An officer of the army or navy who holds office by warrant, as dist. from a commissioned officer..."

Errol

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Allison

Most of the Whitleys that went into Findhorn bay were recovered - I have the ditching reports for a lot of them. The others not mentioned in the reprots were probably also recovered! Certainly none of my spies in the area have ever found anything...

There is a 'Sunderland' in approx 40m off Findhorn. I wonder if it is a Whitley.

Fancy diving it for me and taking a few pics? I'll be your pal forever...

Take care on the ups and downs

Elliott

I have found the details of a few Whitleys that went into Findhorn Bay and was wondering if they were recovered.

Ali.

Member for

18 years 10 months

flippers

:rolleyes:
Cheers

Cees

I think the technical term is "elevators" :D