HISPANO HA-1112 BUCHON SURVIVORS

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi All,

I was wondering if any one had any information on the world’s surviving Hispano HA-1112 Buchons. I had done a few searches on the net but I was unable to come up with any numbers of the total survivors...flyers and static. I had found information on specific examples etc but nothing on all of them..

Forum Links etc?

I am also looking for a cockpit interior photograph on an original configured Buchon..I have seen a picture of the cockpit of N109ME but I am not sure if this cockpit is original to this aircraft as it looks quite different than I expected.

Andrew

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Perfect..and I was in that web site..just not in the right area... :)

tanks...

Andrew

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi British Canuck,

This cockpit photo was taken during the filming of the Battle of Britain, so in theory it should be pretty stock.

Septic.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 8 months

Buchon Cockpit Shots

Hi All,

I am also looking for a cockpit interior photograph on an original configured Buchon..I have seen a picture of the cockpit of N109ME but I am not sure if this cockpit is original to this aircraft as it looks quite different than I expected.

Andrew

Hi Andrew. I have some cockpit shots of the original Spanish Air Force Buchon in the Le Bourget museum. Were you interested in any specific area of the cockpit?

Member for

17 years 10 months

Have a book here by "Monografico Aereo" about the Buchon with really good pictures of the cockpit interior of Buchon 471-23 held in a Museum in Spain, if you want I could try to scan some pics on to you, thats if that sort of thing is allowed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sure I would be interested in seeing any interior shots...I am trying to see what differences are found between the 109 panel and the HA-1112.

I noticed that this one was quite unique to this example N109ME..seems to be a modern conversion...I assume..

The picture found in airliners.net

Member for

20 years

Across the whole range of preserved WW2 era warbirds, few types have had such a troubled history of operation as the HA 1112, apart from the Bf/Me 109, from which it was derived.

There MAY be one or two which have not met with some misfortune, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of any. Landing incidents have featured highly, as they did during wartime operation, when allegedly more 109's were lost in such a manner, than on operations.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Definately modern, give me a couple of days please and I will scan you what I have.
Book seems to say that cockpit lay out was very similar to ME-109 G6.
Can anybody confirm?.

Member for

17 years 8 months

It's a joke,right?
Best source I know of Buchon survivors info is the "Classic Wings" magazine, published in NZ.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Across the whole range of preserved WW2 era warbirds, few types have had such a troubled history of operation as the HA 1112, apart from the Bf/Me 109, from which it was derived.

There MAY be one or two which have not met with some misfortune, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of any. Landing incidents have featured highly, as they did during wartime operation, when allegedly more 109's were lost in such a manner, than on operations.

I think there's one Buchon that holds the honour of not having been damaged in an accident. Something tells me it's the Belgian-registered example, OO-MAF....

Member for

24 years 2 months

Has anyone every kept a flying one in a Spanish Air Force scheme? Most flyers seem to be in German Luftwaffe colours.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Has anyone every kept a flying one in a Spanish Air Force scheme? Most flyers seem to be in German Luftwaffe colours.

Not sure - something tells me the CAF had one temporarily painted (and flying?) as such at one of their early shows....:confused:

(Not referring to the one seen in the film The Hindenburg)

Member for

17 years 10 months

Doubt it, they would probably find it to boring !!!!!!!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Tis shame as I do like to see plane sometimes represented in the scheme that they actually did service in...... !!!

Member for

17 years 8 months

Buchon colours

Tis shame as I do like to see plane sometimes represented in the scheme that they actually did service in...... !!!

The problem is that operators like to display them as a Messerschmitt, tearing about the sky with a Spitfire or similar. That's what the majority of the airshow crowd want to see.
I tend to agree with you in general about original colour schemes but I think the Buchon is an exception as it seems to have had only one colour scheme and that is a boring one; silver on the top, turquoise on the bottom.

Barry

Member for

20 years 7 months

N700E of Planes of Fame, although I'm not sure this has flown since its accident in 2000. Last I heard it was being repaired...

Member for

17 years 10 months

Geek time,
Buchons were known to have been painted in 3 different schemes (cant ellaborate), but-
1-Overall Dark Blue.
2-Aluminium on top with Blue under-surfaces.
3-Camouflage on top in 2 diff Greens and Blue (RLM 65 below).

Member for

20 years 7 months

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, Daz. When I saw it at Chino in May, it was sitting dismantled and covered in dust in a storage building. It looked as if it had been put there when it was unloaded from the box after its return from the UK and not touched since.

I suspect it will sit there until either another filming contract comes up or they decide to get it going again and make it a feature aircraft in one of the shows there (in much the same way as the Seversky and Peashooter this year).

Bear in mind that when I was there, they had 3 P-51s in the shop (2 for Friedkin and TFC's TF-51), plus one of Paul Allen's Zeros, plus the P-59 rebuild ongoing, repairs due to the Flying Wing after an inflight engine fire, B-17 strip and repaint, the Bearcat for Steve Hinton, the ex-TFC Yak-thingy still to be finished, the Aichi Val on rebuild, plus ongoing maintenance of the collection (which now includes most of Friedkin's aircraft too).

Busy people!

Blimey!

Well, one day, hopefully!

Member for

20 years 7 months

I can only think of 2 flyers at present (Kindsvater's and the Breighton one), plus the CAF's N109ME, which us up for sale but not currently flown at the moment.

Then there are a few 'mongrel' DB-engined conversions, of which I believe only one of the Messerschmitt Foundation ones is currently airworthy, (is the ex-Hans Dittes one still grounded?) plus the other German-based example which was broken by one of its pilots last summer and is being rebuilt again.

I don't believe that the Vormezeele one has flown, and the ex-Lamplough, ex-Church one (now with Cavanaughin the US) has now been retired to a museum.

Any I've forgotten?

The Vormezeele one was apparently having its tail reworked into the later-style G-model configuration - I think I asked if it had flown again not so long back, and the answer was no. IIRC, there were no plans to fly it in the near future :(

I *think* D-FEHD (the ex-Dittes, G-10-converted Buchon) has flown again after its engine issues, but I can't find a recent post confirming as such. Fairly certain it has, though.

(Still convinced of that Spanish-painted Buchon.... :confused: )

Member for

24 years 2 months

N700E of Planes of Fame, although I'm not sure this has flown since its accident in 2000. Last I heard it was being repaired...

Ed Maloney commented during the May airshow that they had intentions of getting the original 109G airborne again, though he did not say when. He said they would like to have at least one flyable fighter from each of the major powers which participated in WWII. To that end, a recently acquired Yak was nearing completion in one of the hangars. Can't wait to see what they do for an Italian job!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I kinda like the aluminium on top with blue under-surfaces....

Ottawa's static example looks a little rough but it grows on you after awhile :)