DC3 - Istanbul City Centre

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

I was in Istanbul, Turkey, earlier this week and when driving over the golden horn bridge, I noticed a DC3 on display in the city centre just by the bridge. Didn't get time to stop and see it close up, obviously its on show or may be a cafe or part of a museum? Has any one got any further info on this particular aircraft or photos? Many Thanks!

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

WEEISSO and Jamie Southend many thanks for your trouble, seems to be a museum well worth a visit next time I'm in town. The b-24 Liberator wreck seems particularly good. Thanks again!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Returned to Istanbul earlier this week and went to the transport museum (not to be confused with the airforce museum near the airport), some nice display items such as a F5 Freedom fighter cockpit and ex Yugoslav airforce Dakota. Was disappointed not to see the B24 cockpit which had been recently restored having been recovered from the Agean sea in 1995 (any one know where this has gone?) Also in the adjacent car park looking a sorry state and open to the elements were a complete set of wings with 4 large piston props in tact, due to the propellers being bent I presume it has been removed from an aircraft which has crashed, perhaps its the wings and engines to the B24? Can any of our Turkish friends be able to shed any light on this?

Member for

17 years 7 months

'...a complete set of wings with 4 large piston props in tact, due to the propellers being bent...'

B-24 D 'Hadley's Harem' sn 41-24311 L

Look at this wing - any similarities?
http://www.b24bestweb.com/hadleysharem1.htm

Attachments