Bf109 with sliding canopy

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

One more problematical image from my collection... any comments is welcome :)

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Czech built Avia CS199

Member for

17 years 2 months

Thank you- but engine is not inverted cilynder as on original DB, look more as Merlin.

Member for

19 years 5 months

From the Carairo.com site comes the following which hopefully answers your question

From the airframes and engines which remained on the territory of Czechoslovakia in 1945, Avia Factory in Prague completed some two-seat fighter trainers, based on the Bf-109G-12, which had the designation CS-99. Both S-99 and CS-99 were powered by Daimler-Benz DB-605 engines. Due to a shortage of these original engines, there was an adaptation of JUMO-211 engines for the airframe of Bf-109G-6, G-14 and G-12 respectively. So two new versions of Bf-109 were born, bearing the designation S-199 and CS-199. The maiden flight of CS-199 fighter trainer was realised on 24th January 1949 with test pilot A. Kraus at controls. The serials of CS-199s were 501-582. The last one of the series was test flown on 12th September 1950. During the series production several changes in construction and details were introduced. For example, the original canopies, which were opened to side, were replaced by sliding canopies of Arado Ar-96B type, the angle of wheel axis was changed. CS-199s served with fighter training units of the Cz. A. F., in small numbers with fighter regiments and one with the National Security Guard. In mid-fifties CS-199s were replaced by MiG-15UTI (or CS-102) jet trainers.

Chris

Member for

17 years 2 months

Nice post Chris- thank you :) :)

Could this image present Spain version of the plane?

Member for

19 years 7 months

Red Herring

The '199' on the fin is misleading. The aircraft is one of only 2 Hispano Aviacion HA-1110-K1L trainers that were built in 1953. They had Hispano-Suiza HS 12Z 17 engines - which accounts for the different nose profile frrom the later Merlin-engined variants which acquired the Buchon name.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The '199' on the fin is misleading. The aircraft is one of only 2 Hispano Aviacion HA-1110-K1L trainers that were built in 1953. They had Hispano-Suiza HS 12Z 17 engines - which accounts for the different nose profile frrom the later Merlin-engined variants which acquired the Buchon name.

Good spot. I wasn't aware of these machines. http://www.unrealaircraft.com/hybrid/pages/H109_esp_3.php

Member for

17 years 2 months

Gentlemens- very nice info- thank you all!!! :)

Member for

20 years

I think you mean 'the Force is strong in this forum...' :D

TT

Member for

17 years 2 months

I think you mean 'the Force is strong in this forum...' :D

TT

:) :) :) Let force be with... BTW- where is my laser sword :D

Thank you all :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

Little bits of the jigsaw, but not the whole thing... It's an aircraft I've been tracking for years.

Two two-seat Hispano Aviación HA-1110 K1L aircraft were built with the Hispano engine, and both were later re-engined with RR Merlins, making them, essentially, 'Buchón' trainers - but they retained the later style (and different to the 'G' Buchón) tail. What's not clear in the photo is that the canopy is three pieces windscreen, plus two sliding sections - something like the North American T-28 setup (although smaller!)

As Pito said on the Air Warfare Forum, one survives in a private collection in Texas. Recently visited by Gary Austin, this WIX Thread shows some photos of the aircraft taken recently, including the first time I've ever seen a cockpit shot of one of the two seaters. There is no Czechoslovak connection.

Cheers

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi JDK- glad I found you here. Thank you for info and BTW... soon I would not be any more at AWF...

All the best :) :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

:eek:

I've been wanting to get hold of that! OK, my German is non-existent (except for the names of warbirds), but I'm not that bothered! ;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

You should get it, its not half bad.