One Year On . . . Canberra WF922 plus Exhibiting

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

WF922 wintered extremely well with no faults apparent, even after bouncing around friskily in the recent gales - G meter had to be reset though.:rolleyes: New 'depth of winter' pic at head of the following new article.

In collaboration with Malc, I've just added a new article to my WF922 Survior page. This includes reflections on his 'love affair' ;) with MAM's PR.3 over the past two and a bit years.

The article also includes some thoughts on letting museum visitors into 'live' cockpits - do you or don't you? Read the article and let's hear your views, on this thread possibly. In fact, this whole question of access to live, powered-up cockpits may be worth a Forum Poll. I'll have to think about that.

Access to the article is from the title page of my Canberra Tribute website, click on the 'WF922 Restoration' icon and follow the 'One Year On. . .' link from 922's front page.

Hope you enjoy reading it.

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

Looking really good Les, both your site & Malcs PR3. Bex

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not to offend but....

I wouldnt want the general public being let into a running cockpit. If the person is es canberra crew then possibly but who would want "junior" running his grubby fingers all over the controls and possibly damaging or turning off/on something he shouldnt?
Just finished the article very well done!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've been doing it on a supervised one to one basis on XH175 recently in prep for a possible Cockpit Fest activity.

I talk through a start up drill for both pilot and nav positions with the person sitting in the seat. Before any switch is flipped I explain the sensations that will happen eg noise, lights, movement.

Both kids and adults have an incredible look of sheer pleasure when a control item responds to their finger selection.

First lights brighten and dim to twist control. Next fault lamps light in response to Press to Test and Day/Night screens are set. Background noise increases in stages as invertors are spun up. Whole displays/gauges animate when their on switch is selected. Dolls eyes flicker and chatter.

For my part I firmly believe that tactile is the way to go and most military hardware is overspeced so switches do stand up to the increased handling.

Now the comments are not just 'look at all the dials and switches' but two way exchanges on how did they escape/strap in in x seconds? How did they stand the noise?. Is that the smell of history?

Instead of the view being fleeting the experience is relived with each telling to relatives and showing of the camera phone piccy.

Yes its labour intensive and limiting both in number of people who can experience it and sadly, at the moment, limited to able bodied. It is an area where individual collectors and small museums can add value and one that I feel should be exploited. Just need work on the application methods.

Ross

Member for

18 years 2 months

Enthusiasts have dreams too........

I wouldnt want the general public being let into a running cockpit. If the person is es canberra crew then possibly but who would want "junior" running his grubby fingers all over the controls and possibly damaging or turning off/on something he shouldnt?
Just finished the article very well done!

Peter

I respect your thoughts on people in cockpits and have seen first hand the damage that both children and adults can do but as an enthusiast I must bat for my team on this one.

There is nothing better to me than being allowed the oportunity to sit inside a cockpit, I am willing and interested in listening to any safety brief and prefer to be fully supervised, this is so I know that I am in safe hands and any questions that I have can be answered.

The museums that I have visited and allowed me into cockpits are held close to my heart and I will allways return to them knowing that they go the 'extra mile' to make a visit special, Cockpitfest is always first on the menu and in my mind one of the best events of the year.

I hope I speak for the 99 percentile that wish to climb into a cockpit and fullfill a dream, we aren't all switch flicking spotty oiks hell bent on just sitting there causing trouble:D .

Regards,

John.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Peter,

In this instance I have to disagree with you on this one. I for one am quite happy to allow visitors in the cockpit. At the moment the only thing that works is the pilots bang seat goes up & down and im proud of that LoL :diablo: Eventually when I do get things working hopefully people will be able to both learn & enjoy their time in the seat and more importantly come back again. If anyone is interested I will be at both open days at GAM this weekend, and if u see me working on the Cranberry please dont hesitate to disturb me as I'll be more than happy to show people around. One thing, I for one would love for Malcom to allow me a guided tour of his amazing work, and thanks for Les's hardwork on his website keeping the updates flowing on Malc's progress. Bex

Member for

17 years 11 months

I'm ex-service groundcrew and, on a visit to the MAM (Midlands Aircraft Museum, UK), they let me into their superb Canberra and Vulcan cockpits which was great! Made my day, and I now recommend MAM to anyone.

On the other hand, I was annoyed at the attitude of the staff in the RAF Museum, Hendon. On a recent visit, my friend just touched an engine that was just inside a barrier and was pounced on by an officious woman who said "DON'T TOUCH!"

That happened twice in the one visit, with two different members of staff. I thought these sub-human creatures died out sometime in the 1940s. Won't be going back there.

RAF Museum Cosford is not like that. Good for them.

Brooklands Museum shows people around and lets them enter the cockpits of several of their airliners as long as there is a 'volunteer' present. Great stuff!

Bri :)

Member for

17 years 7 months

Having had the dubious pleasure of takng the public for a quick up round and down I do know the pleasure this can bring them and in return yourself, however I also know the cost of the inadvertent damage that can be caused even by the most considerate, from cracked instrument glass to broken canopies and switch gear, so while it might be a consideration as a method to add value to a public visit such things have to be very carefully managed and even then preperations to cover the costs of over worked equipment made, if this can be done then live cockpit fests are a must have, if not a simple walkway over looking the office is as near as most folks should ever be allowed to one.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I'm ex-service groundcrew and, on a visit to the MAM (Midlands Aircraft Museum, UK), they let me into their superb Canberra and Vulcan cockpits which was great! Made my day, and I now recommend MAM to anyone.

On the other hand, I was annoyed at the attitude of the staff in the RAF Museum, Hendon. On a recent visit, my friend just touched an engine that was just inside a barrier and was pounced on by an officious woman who said "DON'T TOUCH!"

That happened twice in the one visit, with two different members of staff. I thought these sub-human creatures died out sometime in the 1940s. Won't be going back there.

RAF Museum Cosford is not like that. Good for them.

Brooklands Museum shows people around and lets them enter the cockpits of several of their airliners as long as there is a 'volunteer' present. Great stuff!

Exactly the same happened to me!!!, I supposedly leaned too far into the open Phantom cockpit and was shouted at from a hundred yards out....'keep your hands of the exhibit'.

Well the shock and embaressment of the dressing down sent me into an alternate state and I gently reminded the person that the 'exhibit' was in fact a Phantom and that both my hands where busy keeping my camera equipment from succumbing to the effects of gravity and a hard surface!, apparently my volume now attracted more wardens and I decided that rather than challenge their combined intelect of a dead badger, retreat was more fruitfull.

On the other hand when I visited MAM a couple of years ago, I was wandering around when a guy approached me and said 'are you interested', 'yes' I replied, he then proceeded to take me on a guided tour of the aircraft including full access to the Vulcan, F104, Phantom and Canberra cockpits, I went home a very happy bunny that day:D :D .

John.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Exactly the same happened to me!!!, I supposedly leaned too far into the open Phantom cockpit and was shouted at from a hundred yards out....'keep your hands of the exhibit'.

Well the shock and embaressment of the dressing down sent me into an alternate state and I gently reminded the person that the 'exhibit' was in fact a Phantom and that both my hands where busy keeping my camera equipment from succumbing to the effects of gravity and a hard surface!, apparently my volume now attracted more wardens and I decided that rather than challenge their combined intelect of a dead badger, retreat was more fruitfull.

On the other hand when I visited MAM a couple of years ago, I was wandering around when a guy approached me and said 'are you interested', 'yes' I replied, he then proceeded to take me on a guided tour of the aircraft including full access to the Vulcan, F104, Phantom and Canberra cockpits, I went home a very happy bunny that day:D :D .

John.

John check ya PM's. Bex

Member for

17 years 11 months

These posts make you realise the difference between aircraft enthusiast volunteers and paid employees.

The boss of the Hendon museum really needs to give his employees a darned good talking to. Either that, or sack the lot and find some volunteers!