[B]Unusual Carrier Landings[/B]

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

I have just finished reading 'Carrier Observer' by Gordon Wallace.

The author was an observer serving with 831sqn operating Albacores off the fleet carrier Indomitable from 1941 onwards.

In his book, he quotes of an occasion where their progress was assisted by a gale force following wind. The carrier's Commander (F) decided to land-on a returning Albacore from the bow. This was successful with the aircraft making a perfect landing utilising the two arrester wires fitted ahead of the forward lift.

I have never before heard of this evolution of landing the 'wrong way around'.

Was this a rare but standard practice in RN fleet carriers?

The fact that two arrester wires were fitted in a forward position would certainly suggest this.

Anyone got any more info?

Great book by the way.

Dak

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

Don't know the answer to your question, but I believe that the two forward wires were only provided on Victorious, Formidable, Indomitable and the two Implacable Class units. I believe that these were installed new on the Implacable class but were retrofitted to the three Illustrious class vessels - at the same time that the three extra rear wires were fitted & the roundown was flattened out to gain extra deck parking?

One presumes that they were intended for landing the odd aircraft when the rear deck park was full in readiness for flying off.

I hazily seem to recall reading somewhere that the two forward wires were not used very much and were removed as plane weights and landing speeds increased.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Some early US carriers were fitted with forward wires for the same reason... and also in case the aft flight deck was damaged by a landing crash with aircraft still aloft.

Their turbines were fitted to be able to reach ~20 knots astern to assist the operation.

Here is a link to a USS Hornet CV-12 (early Essex class) site which describes this... and includes a pic of a F6F Hellcat launching off the stern:
www.its.caltech.edu/~drmiles/cv-12_stern_launch.html