Lysander Target Tugs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

The Irish Air Corps received six Lysanders in 1939. Two of them were converted to target towers in 1944. Can anyone tell me where was the attachments fitted to the Lysanders, the fuselage of the stub wings? I have searched the Air Corps photos of Lysandres but nothing so far has appeared showing the modification.
Mant thanks for any help.
Tony K

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hey Tony try here

www.irishairpics.com

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi Tony,
I've no evidence either way, but I'd presume the IAC Lysanders received British towing gear, as also used in Canada. The winch set up went between the crew in front of the observer's position inside the glazing.

There was a cable reel on a stalk below the fuselage, and a couple of doors in the underside underneath the observers position, through which the drogue targets could be launched and retrieved. The doors were retained on the IWM Lysander after restoration.

I can't recall any other TT mods or arrangements, except small variations to the above.

See pages 69, 70,72, 203, 206 and 207 in my Lysander book which I hope you can find your copy of! :D

I'd also recommend contacting Fred Ballam, as he flew in a TT Lysander as a young man - also has some Westland photos that show the (British) set-up.

HTH

Member for

17 years 4 months

The Lysander at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, was a TT version, so they may have further info for your study

Member for

20 years 6 months

The Lysander at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, was a TT version, so they may have further info for your study

Good thought. Actually, the majority of surviving Lysanders were TT aircraft at one stage in their careers. The CWH and Harry Wheratt's aircraft are painted as TT aircraft, but as far as I was able to establish, no surviving Lysander is fitted with TT gear, although several have the doors in the belly. It's also an assumption (although a reasonable one) that the IAC used British (the same as Canadian) gear.

Member for

20 years

Thanks Kicks, Chris and James (JDK the living ,talking aviation Encyclopedia Britannica ) all of this is of great assistance. Sorry James I do not have a copy of your Lysander publication, a must get!
Thanks again.
Tony K

Member for

17 years 7 months

Hello my very good friend is restoring a Lizzie as well, yes a manual crank placed between crew was used for hauling drogue cute in and out through the "wooden" doors already stated, the Lizzie had protective cable/wires running the circumference of fin/rudder/tailplanes for safety from cable wire interference, whilst chatting with my pal, he stated a fellow he new on his first trip as the drogue "crew" quit after his first flight in the rear of the Lizzie due to a Hurricane putting 6 holes in the fin of the aircraft!! I suspect the cranking unit would have been put to use by all the farmers that bought these surplus aircraft, as a sidenote, postwar Lizzies were flown by enterprising individuals, only to be grounded by proper authorities not wanting these aircraft in flight by removing their gas tanks, again even more enterprising enthusiasts rigged 45 gallon drums for fuel tanks thus leading proper authorities again to actually cut the wings off!! funny the things you find out years later.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Very interesting Bollyman. I was aware of some legitimate registered Lysanders flying in Canada postwar, as air-sprayers, but I'm not surprised by your story. Can you provide more details? (By PM if you prefer.)

No encyclopaedia, just someone who researched a type rather intensively for a book - and there's a lot out there on Lizzies I know that I don't know!

Tony, check your e-mail.