Whose Hurricane?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

OK, this really should be in "Spotted...|", but no-one has taken the bait and helped out so I'm having another go.

On Saturday, I saw a Hurricane, heading north over Oxford - straight up the edge of Port Meadow, in fact, and straight over Wolvercote. Throttled right back, just trundling gently, and I'd guess from the height (low, but I'm no guesstimator of heights), direction & speed that it was heading for Kidlington.

It was absolutely directly above me, so no clues as to any markings other than a sky underside.

Could it have been R4118?

Adrian

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

That would be my guess....

Member for

24 years 3 months

Your guesses would be correct folks, she's 'lodging' in the Dak hangar for a while.

Tom

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Your guesses would be correct folks, she's 'lodging' in the Dak hangar for a while.

Tom

Fantastic, Tom, I knew the forum wouldn't let me down! Thank you! Now, next question - what did the pilot have in his sandwiches? :diablo:

On a more slightly serious note, that means I will have to let the young lady know, as she is working next to the airport. Does "Dak hangar" mean there is a Dak up there too? (dumb question, but hey! I'm dumb this time of day)

Adrian

Member for

20 years 8 months

Fantastic, Tom, I knew the forum wouldn't let me down! Thank you! Now, next question - what did the pilot have in his sandwiches? :diablo:

On a more slightly serious note, that means I will have to let the young lady know, as she is working next to the airport. Does "Dak hangar" mean there is a Dak up there too? (dumb question, but hey! I'm dumb this time of day)

Adrian

Answer to question about pilot's sandwiches. Spam and mustard pickle.:)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Adrian

Yes there is, in USAAF D-Day markings. I've left a query on Spotted to see if anyone knows who owns her.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mike, I think TomW, above, might be the person to ask...

Adrian

Member for

20 years 8 months

Now there's a thought. I was working over there the last two days and never thought to ask Operations as they'd be in the know as well. Isn't it amazing how clever we can be with hindsight?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Thanks for that link Tom. All the info required there.