Programme, Flying Legends

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

Does anybody know when we can expect the program for Flying Legend 2007?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Stop Press announcement:

Quite a few Spitfires
Some Hurricanes
Some Mustangs
Something from RNHF
A Lancaster
Corsairs
Skyraiders
At least a B17
Some other rare aircraft that the punters won't recognise
... and a rumour about a P-38, anyone else heard about that?

That should cover it I reckon ;)

You've missed a certain pointy thing with flames coming out of the rear ;)

Member for

18 years 5 months

Also a F15E, presumably there to do a 'Heritage' flypast with the P38 (?)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Also a F15E, presumably there to do a 'Heritage' flypast with the P38 (?)

Isn't that what I said ????:confused:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Is the P38 pilot 'heritage' rated to fly with the F15E (if there is one?) as i thought they had to have previous training ?

But you also missed the first formation of a P38, P39 & P40 in quite a while.

curlyboy

Member for

19 years 1 month

The pilot of the P-38, Steve Hinton, is very definately Heritage Flight qualified, as well as the P-51 pilot, Ed Shipley. You will remember Ed from Mustang pairs routine at Legends.

Member for

24 years 2 months

More to the point is the F15 pilot rated to fly at Legends ????

Member for

18 years 5 months

Isn't that what I said ????:confused:

EN,
your message wasn't up on my screen when I wrote my script - a case of great minds think alike, I believe. Anyway, the Guinots and a Strike Eagle at Legends - what's it coming to ?

Member for

17 years

Can I asume from the general apathy, that legends is becoming very repetitive?

For the record, I have never been to a Duxford Airshow.... one day....

Can I asume from the general apathy, that legends is becoming very repetitive?

For the record, I have never been to a Duxford Airshow.... one day....

I don't think there is apathy about the show itself, but somehow it has become the show that must not be mentioned on forums....

I think its a shame. With only 2 weeks to go what is the harm in having a bit of discussion about it? As soon as anyone mentions it the thread usually gets bogged down in smart-ass replies.... :rolleyes:

Member for

17 years

Like I said, I have never been. TFC keep sending me flyers for it every year (I wrote to them once with a query sometime in the early nineties)...

I know I'm in a minority now, but for me, it is still one of those shows which is always on the 'must go one day' list... What doesn't help is when you ask how good it really is, most people reply in the negative or with seeming disinterest.......:(

Like I said, I have never been. TFC keep sending me flyers for it every year (I wrote to them once with a query sometime in the early nineties)...

I know I'm in a minority now, but for me, it is still one of those shows which is always on the 'must go one day' list... What doesn't help is when you ask how good it really is, most people reply in the negative or with seeming disinterest.......:(

Well, for me its the number one weekend of the year. I'll be there for four days Thursday to Sunday, rain or shine, to catch anything that moves! I'm also hoping to catch the arrival of the P-38 & TF-51 late next week.

There are so many unique aspects to Flying Legends that you just can't see anywhere else. Some may find it boring or repetitive, but personally I will never tire of seeing 10 (or more) Spitfires tearing up and down the airfield or 30-40 piston warbirds gathering themselves for the Balbo finale.... and of course there is always something new to see every year, which is a fantastic achievement by TFC in itself.

You can probably tell, I love Flying Legends. No doubt hundreds of others here do too, but as I said it has somehow become off-limits for forum discussion, other than moaning about crowds, windbreaks, queues, food prices etc. etc..... :confused:

Member for

18 years 6 months

one things certain, its gonna be quality again this year.

Now for the weather................

Member for

17 years 6 months

For me Legends is the BEST vintage show around! Think of it as RIAT for warbirds!
I just can not understand why people have an issue with this show, great aircraft (many of which ONLY appear at this show), great personalities and great flying, what more could you ask for?
It would take alot for me to miss this show and I cann't wait for it.

As for F-15s........dont think so, wait for RIAT as they have the usual P-51 - F-15 heritage display.

Phill

www.outflankeduk.com - my website, with Legends shots!

Member for

18 years 5 months

LL,
don't worry about us old f*rts affecting indifference, it's a pose we take every year - uber cool, dude - we'll all be there on the day. And make sure you get down there sometime soon, the next show as good is across the big pond.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don't be put off by the negativity, it's a great show and the best of it's kind in Europe. For an idea of content I refer you to a previous thread with a slight amendment :-

Stop Press announcement:

Quite a few Spitfires,
Some Hurricanes,
Some Mustangs,
Something from RNHF,
A Lancaster,
Corsairs,
Skyraiders,
At least a B17,

The odd B25,
A Nimrod or 2,
Three flying advertising hoardings with three young, lycra clad, ladies strapped to the top wings,
A certain pointy thing with flames coming out of the rear, if they can keep it operational for long enough.

Some other rare aircraft that the punters won't recognise
... and a rumour about a P-38, anyone else heard about that?

And a bloody big flypast at the end.

Member for

17 years

Thats more like it, thank you. I have read about, and seen pictures from legends during all the years I have been in aircraft maintenance, although my usual aircraft have a long way to go before they ever appear at Duxford... I know of the maintenance pressures building up to any airshow all too well - Lusty Lindy kicked me in the nether regions all too often on the days leading up to the Yorkshire air show.... there's always bloody something!...

It may be late, but I am going to make a definite effort to get down there. They don't do good airshows oop north anymore.......

Member for

17 years 3 months

Flying Legends is a show I have not been to before either, this year I will be there and I would love to hear more about it, regardless of if it is an unspoken topic. I'd rather know as much as possible from the people who have been there. I'm looking forward to what promises to be a great airshow.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Flying Legends is a show I have not been to before either, this year I will be there and I would love to hear more about it, regardless of if it is an unspoken topic. I'd rather know as much as possible from the people who have been there. I'm looking forward to what promises to be a great airshow.

I go every year and have never been disapointed!
I always try and get there for 8.30 at the latest to avoid any ques. The best carpark is the Royston end as this is on the airfield. I normally leg it after the last ballbo pass at the end of the show to avoid getting stuck in traffic. If you are not in a hurry to leave then I would reconmend staying for the run and breaks to land as they are really impressive.

Delights to look forward to this year is the P-38 Glacier Girl, Pearl Harbour P-40 and the new TFC P-51 and you never know what might turn up from Europe!
Of yes and take your own food and drink.....it will save you a fortune!!!

Phill
www.outflankeduk.com - my airshow photo website

Member for

18 years 9 months

Legends-The best by far

I feel I must come down firmly in the 'Legends' fan category.

After hearing and reading so much about 'Flying Legends' it went to the top of my 'once in a lifetime list'. So in Summer 2003 'The Mutant Family' were dragged across the 'Pond' for 'the' show. Unbelievable! The show opened with an 11 Spitfire tail chase, warranted a group of 5 and another of 6...... and finally a 'Balbo' of IIRC 27 aircraft to end the show! Remarkable!

I was so impressed I came back in 2004 and 2005! In 2006 I was involved in some airshow stuff of my own in Canada and the US and although great fun left me in serious withdrawl for more 'Legends'. Guess what, I'll be back in 2007!

The atmosphere at Duxford is one major factor, the countryside gives the impression of a performance in a big country park and the displays are second to none. In the US there are big shows with lots of 'aviation exotica' but the performances are often limited to aircraft flying in a large race track and in a gaggle not formation. (Ed Shipley, Jim Beasely and Steve Hinton excepted!)

Legends definitely 'does it' for me!

Let the flaming begin! Or should that be continue?

Mutant

Member for

20 years 6 months

For me its a real highlight of the Airshow season, There is no other show like it, I am sure you will love it. There is always something special at Legends, And some aircraft normally come from Europe that normally do not attend UK airshows, With Glacier Girl coming to the show i have to say that 2007 looks to be even more special.

I recomend you get there early do the flightline walk(it costs extra but does get you some nice photo's), After you done the flightline get yourself a spot that you fancy viewing the show from eat your lunch and await the start of the show.

Enjoy the show and make sure you have pleny of memory cards and batteries for your camera.