lancasters in egypt

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

anyone know the fate of six lancasters that were given to the egyptian airforce just after the war, ive asked around a few sources but no one has come up with any plausable answer, i do know that the egyptian
aircrews had very few hours on them so the aircraft proved difficult to master ,im guessing they all were written off in various accidents or perhaps they were left to the deserts sand dunes and lie under yards of the stuff it would be nice to know:cool: :cool: :cool:

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Bits of info gleaned from elsewhere.

The only other camouflaged aircraft in Egyptian service were Lancaster bombers, which by 1956 were completely obsolete and in the process of being retired. Painted in Medium Sea Grey (BS637) on upper surfaces and sides, and Matt Black (BS642) underneath, the Lancasters also wore no identification stripes.

REAF has also purchased "demilitarized" Lancaster bombers. Their RAF serials and REAF (later EAF) serials were:
PA476=REAF 1801
PA441=REAF 1802
SW308=REAF 1803
TW894=REAF 1804
PA435=REAF 1805
PA391=REAF 1806
TW890=REAF 1807
SW313=REAF 1808
TW656=REAF 1809

Seems they had a few Halifaxs and Stirlings as well.

Member for

18 years 3 months

a little digging through the plastic boxes turned this up...

From Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol.6, No.2 (November 1983)
(first SAM issue I ever bought - and it included a 1/72 decal sheet for an Argentine example as well as an Egyptian)
Aircraft in Detail article by Bill and Sue Bushell
'Post-War Lancasters'
Illustration by Pete West

"Egypt was the next country to express and interest in the type and placed an order for nine refurbished examples, again Mark Is. The aircraft again came from Langar but this time were overhauled at Bracebridge Heath under Works Order 1054 and were standard B.Is except for the radar and that there were no guns fitted, though the turrets remained. Following the completion of test flying as G-11-60 to G-11-68, they were ferried to the Royal Egyptian Air Force as 1801 to 1809 (c/ns 1510 to 1518) during the second half of 1950.

Once they arrived at Almaza, where they were to be based, they were more or less ignored and flown very infrequently. Due to a shortage of spares they sat out in the sand and their eventual fate is unknown, though they are believed to have still been in existance during the Suez campaign of 1956.

Egyptian Lancasters were painted in a similar scheme to that used by the RAF, but with light or medium grey upper surfaces. Serials appeared under both wings in arabic and also on the fuselage sides."
_____
JJ

Attachments

Member for

19 years 6 months

Hi,

As I understand it they were all destroyed during the Suez Crisis by RN strike aircraft. There are a couple of photos of them taken during a strike/recce of an Egyptian airfield, possibly Almaza.

I carried out some research into Egyptian Lanxasters, Halifaxes and Stirlings a couple of years ago. I'll dig out my notes later tonight.

Alex

Member for

16 years 8 months

egyptian lancasters

thankyou all for your info its all most interestring, i was unaware thar halifaxes and stirlings were also supplied thanks again:cool: :cool: :cool: