Accident To BBMF Spitfire V AB910 - Bex 1978

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

If memory serves me correctly (fat chance) AB910 was the victim of a ground collision by a taxying Havard/T5/Texan at Bex in 1978.

I've always wanted to know what damaged was sustained, and how much original structure had to be replaced after this accident. I've also never seen photos of the unfortunate incident.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The 1970's - a bad decade for AB910

Following quite serious accidents at Coltishall on 5 October 1972 and Duxford on 20 June 1976, all things came in 'threes' with a major clash with a Harvard at Bex on 21 August 1978.

Here is one, the best, of several shots I have of the Bex incident from a number of sources.

Apologies to the unnamed photographer, who might have been a very friendly Ch/Tech at BBMF at the time. Perhaps he will see this.

Good heavens, this was nearly 30 years ago.

Mark

Addenda: Image by 'Beaufighter VI', with thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%203/5-AB910Bex21August1978002.jpg

Member for

18 years 8 months

Ouch :eek: was there any injurys at all? lucky that did not go up in flames . I know AB910 still flying with the BBMF as 'Donald Duck' No.303 Sqn anyone know what happened to the Texen/Harvard ?

Regards
James

Member for

24 years 2 months

According to the excellent 1986 book "Spitfire & Hurricane Tribute" (about the BBMF) published by Ian Allan, the accident was caused by " A series of errors by the pilot, local ATC, and the pilot of the Harvard aircraft, who failed to obtain clearance to enter the active runway, resulted in a head on collision. The Harvard was pushed back 50yds and completly destroyed, while AB910 was damaged extensively".

It goes on to say that luckily there was no fire, and the Spitfire pilot (who I understand was Pete Thorn) along with the occupants of the Harvard, got out rather rapidly, although the pilot of the Harvard sustained a broken leg.

There is a picture of the front end of AB910 in the book (minus wings in a hanger) showing the damage caused by the impact. According to the text, it had sustained damage to the engine, engine mount, front bulkhead (frame 5) along with damage to both wings and extensive rear fuselage skin buckling - the latter quite clear in the picture posted by Mark12. According to the rest of the text, AB910 was then taken by road back to Abingdon and repaired by a team from the Repair & Salvage Squadron, followed by a major servicing at Kemble, with AB910 rejoining the BBMF at Coningsby in October 1981.

Cheers

Paul

Member for

17 years 6 months

Is it true that the wing structure of MK732 was only used as a template for new wingsections to repair AB910. Steve Atkins rescued a large number of MK732's original wingbits that were incorporated into the 1990's rebuild of
MK732.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

18 years 6 months

Yes Peter, it is a photograph that I took at the time.
AB910 was lined up to take off. A Harrier was parked on the side of the grass strip. The Harvard was taxiing up to take off point and was forced out onto the grass runway by the parked Harrier. At that moment AB started its roll on what is a very short strip, so power was applied very quickly.

After this incident several BBMF rules were changed, one being that prior to TO, at or after run up, the aircraft was to take up a position at 90 degrees to the TO direction so allowing full view of the TO path.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Jeepers H Cripes! :eek:

Member for

19 years 2 months

Yes Peter, it is a photograph that I took at the time.
AB910 was lined up to take off. A Harrier was parked on the side of the grass strip. The Harvard was taxiing up to take off point and was forced out onto the grass runway by the parked Harrier. At that moment AB started its roll on what is a very short strip, so power was applied very quickly.

After this incident several BBMF rules were changed, one being that prior to TO, at or after run up, the aircraft was to take up a position at 90 degrees to the TO direction so allowing full view of the TO path.

great though sad photo.....I have one of the engine mount tubes...would you mind me using a copy of the photo with my display please? Cheers Tony

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Harvard was PH-KMA. It was brought back to Holland and went into deep storage. Thought it was sold some time ago though and left.

BW Roger

Member for

18 years 6 months

great though sad photo.....I have one of the engine mount tubes...would you mind me using a copy of the photo with my display please? Cheers Tony

Please go ahead.

Member for

18 years 11 months

The Harvard was PH-KMA. It was brought back to Holland and went into deep storage. Thought it was sold some time ago though and left.

BW Roger

I believe the aircraft, c/n 14A-12167 was acquired by the Osterreichisches Luftfahtmuseum, Graz, Austria.

Their website confirms that they have a Texan under restoration.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Please go ahead.

Many thanx old chap!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Thanks for the info Paul:cool:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Apologies, posters, for the late response to my request.

Thank you. A fascinating and informative series of replies.

What a shock for all involved, thank goodness there were no fatalities. Good to see the Texan is under restoration after all this time has passed.

Long time query (as you say, Mark, 30 years or so!)...answered :)