Stirling Project Update

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

John,

I believe Pino and Peter (new comic duo) have seen the French sections haven't they?

Cees

Member for

16 years 11 months

John,

I believe Pino and Peter (new comic duo) have seen the French sections haven't they?

Cees

Never a truer word spoken in jest :diablo:

I believe they did go and look at them, and they proved most useful

John

Member for

16 years 11 months

A quick update, here's the first of our newly cast and machined control column tops. We now have all the major components to fabricate 2 new control columns using original bases :)

John

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

there is this reference in an ancient thread to one in France....

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28664&highlight=stirling+fuselage

John

Thanks for the link John, I had been searching to see what this portion consisted of?

Here is the photo of the fuselage section that is in France as per that link, it seems to be in two parts? and is from forward of the fin inclusive of the crew door and then 3 windows forward to under the faired over dorsal turret and the trailing edge of the wing?, its floor or lower fuselage has also been cut out.

Although the photo doesnt show the forward end of the French section it seems that it also covers most the length of the Dutch section, but perhaps extend deeper into the floor? (so they duplicate the same turret area?)

However together with the RAF Tail section they all apparantly combine to reference over 50% of the rear of the fuselage?

Quite encouraging!,

Its a lot of work to replicate, but other than the missing lower parts of the floor/bomb-bay, these sections would be excellent dimensional references, perhaps in some ways of far more value than drawings, and from the photos it could be assumed the same fuselage profile projects forward through the wing and up into the cockpit area providing a dimensional reference for much of the fuselage?

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=32516&d=1090094615

http://www.rafarnhemresupply.nl/FP%20romp%20Stirling%20Batenburg.jpg

It would be great if the French section could be displayed in the RAF Museum with their tail section.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Mark

All of these sections have been gone over with a fine tooth comb to ascertain the correct profile of the upper fuselage, and you're correct in your assumption that it extends into the cockpit area. Each section has it's own 'issues' as they've spent most of their life out in the open in distinctly agricultural conditions and of course were recovered from crashed aircraft. Therefore a average has been taken which when compared with best practice leads us to think we've now got it right :D

thanks for the encouragement

John

Member for

13 years 3 months

stirling wing on beach

Did you guys ever recover the Stirling wing/wings that were on a beach near Yarmouth ?, they were pretty ropey & mostly burried in the sand.

Bob. T

Member for

16 years 11 months

I don't think we've got anything that came from a crash near Yarmouth. How long ago where these on the beach?

John

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi John

The wing/s were on a beach some where between Great Yarmouth & Cromer, there was a photo of them sticking up out of the sand, in Flypast many years ago, I think it was an article to do with surviving parts of extinct bombers.
Hope this helps.:)

Cheer's.
Bob. T

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was at Hemsby, blew in one dark night, and out again a few nights later.

Bruce

Member for

16 years 11 months

It was at Hemsby, blew in one dark night, and out again a few nights later.

Bruce

That's a shame :(

Member for

13 years 3 months

Did it get covered up again by the sand ?, as it was quite deeply embedded.

Bob. T

Member for

24 years 3 months

The beach there is often scoured in really bad weather. Thats the time that things like the Stirling come in. When the sandbar comes back it tends to take the other stuff out again.

A Roman salt works appeared in the same place a few years ago. Hadnt been seen before!

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

I recall looking at this and have a note that If the wings were Stirling then a possible identity was EF494 on the night 8/9 Oct 1943.

Regards
Ross

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Chaps and chapesses

The Stirling Aircraft Project jhas finally moved from RAF Wyton although t too 2 full days and 6 lorry loads to transport all of the kit and artefacts. It'll probably take another 1-2 weekends to sort out where it all now needs to go and remember where it all is :rolleyes:

hopefully though we'll soon be back to work and making new parts and assemblies to post on here

cheers

John

ps I'm going for a lie down now :diablo:

Member for

20 years 4 months

Hi Chaps and chapesses

The Stirling Aircraft Project jhas finally moved from RAF Wyton although t too 2 full days and 6 lorry loads to transport all of the kit and artefacts. It'll probably take another 1-2 weekends to sort out where it all now needs to go and remember where it all is :rolleyes:

hopefully though we'll soon be back to work and making new parts and assemblies to post on here

cheers

John

ps I'm going for a lie down now :diablo:

Good work Stirling team!

Member for

16 years 11 months

Well we're now approaching end game with our presence at RAF Wyton. After a lot of hardwork the project has now relocated to our new workshop and we've nearly made some order out of chaos.

Whilst the MoD has been very good to us over the years, the constant upheaval and access problems for visitors has been a pain :rolleyes: We're now self contained and to a certain extent masters of our own destiny and our floor area is about 1 and 1/2 times bigger than what we had although storage is still an issue for some of the larger items. Anyway here's some photos of our new work area.

John

Attachments

Member for

14 years 6 months

Hi John,

Good to see things getting sorted and now get on with that Stirling;)

What's the next step as soon as the workshop has been finished?

Cees

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Cees

In an earlier post I said "last one to a complete cockpit is a rotten egg", oh well it looks like it's us :o

The programme of work whilst we're still sorting out the fuselage design will be the seats (me) and the control columns and rudder pedals by the others, that should give us the major controls and should be useful progress. I'd dearly love to start on the fuselage, but there's a lot to get sorted out and costed before that time.

Progress as always will be posted on here

John

Member for

16 years 11 months

finally some progress:rolleyes:

Here's the 1st and 2nd pilots control column bases and torque tube from LK567 that's been stripped down. It didn't come apart without a fight and still needs cleaning up (the RH one has been started).

John

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Morning all

Here's a progress update, with the 1st control column permanently assembled albeit with the control wheel slaved into position for effect. 2nd column to follow shortly ;)

John

Attachments