Stirling Project Update

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Simon

The Mk IV nose is much different to the one in the kit. For a start there are no doors behind the Observers seat, the bulkhead itself is truncated to about half its height and there's a canvas strap which acts as a backrest in place of where the doors are. The compartment beneath is not a whole lot different from the kit or indeed from a Mk III, and the Mk IV could be used in a conventional bombing role if needs be. I haven't got any photos to hand but if you PM me your email address I'll see what I can dig out.

John

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi

Some info for you, looks like the bomb aimer position is unaffected, just a new seat up front with a fabulous view! As John says there are no doors, they wouldn't have had any function.

Looks like there is a map reading table in the model. Interestingly there is no obvious bomb sight?

Cheers
James

Attachments

Member for

13 years 4 months

If you want to put some troops in.....

Attachments

Thanks John - I'll drop you an e-mail.

regards

Simon

Member for

16 years 11 months

replied :)

Member for

10 years 11 months

Fantastic work John. I am really seeing this beast taking shape now. I look forward to visiting and sitting in that pilot's seat one day. Steve (Lazlo Ferran)

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Steve

And you'd be more than welcome to

John

Member for

20 years

Superb work chaps - is it time for an updated 'wants list' for the forumites who might be able to help?

ATB

TT

Member for

16 years 11 months

ouch, bit outside our remit but an interesting artefact.

Good idea TT, I'll have a think about our shopping list and post something soon

John

Member for

16 years 11 months

Happy New Year all, our first post of 2018

Just to prove that we've not been in hibernation during the dark winter months, we've been working on some of the finer details to complete the main instrument panel. Cliff has been working on the u/c Indicator Switch which energises the u/c position indicator and I assume is there to prevent the lights drawing down battery power after shutdown. The other switch is the U/c Master Switch which energises the landing gear circuit which as you may be aware is electrically actuated on a Stirling.

The use of 'HAND GEAR' at the off position seems confusing but the only explanation I have is that in that position it de-energises the circuit allowing for manual operation in an emergency.

Next areas to be worked on are the 2 sloping panels at the base of the panel which have the prop feathering switches, airscrew de-icer and booster coli switches. the only remaining parts to fit to the panel are the toggle to jettison all the stores and we need a rubber stop watch holder, anyone got any ideas how the former is installed and does anyone have leads on the latter which I know are extremely rare

John

Attachments

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi John

Some great and dedicated work there!

I saw a watch holder go past on ebay a while ago - no interest shown. Why not update your wants list on your web site? One of the SBA power suppy units went past a while ago too, but I thought that you had one of those?

I suspect though that you will eventually get all the parts you need!

Cheers
James

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks James

we have got an SBA unit although it could do with a tidy up. We will have to update our wants list, just a case of working out which ones are the priority

John

Member for

14 years 6 months

The rubber stopwatchholders are available as replicas these days IIRC.
Nice update John,
Cees

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi all

A productive day today, with the first of the two control column fwd stop assys more-or-less completed. Each one has more 20 separate parts comprising of cast, folded and extruded sections. The only remaining parts needed for this one (1st pilots') are 4 off lugs which the control column lock attaches to. One more to go then it's the 4 off footrest assemblies to make

John

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

slow and steady wins the race :)

following on from my last post, the P1 fwd control column stop is now permanently installed and painted with P2 to follow next week. The 2 bare metal channels attached to the box are the first parts of the rudder pedal footrests (only 4 to make of those LOL). I'm 95% certain of the construction of these based on photos looking down from above and upwards from the Bomb Aimers compartment. the latter are always in shadow and it's hard to define what's there but we're pretty much on top of the design now.

Any way without further ado please see the pics below showing the P1 stop assy.

John

Attachments

Member for

17 years 10 months

superb ! although to look at it you would not think so there is a hell of a lot of work gone in to this, fantastic always look forward to the updates, thank you.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks TA, it all takes time but we're getting there. There's plenty of other areas being worked on at the moment, just not quite ready to report yet

John

Member for

14 years 6 months

Wonderful as always John.
Cheers
Cees