Stirling Project Update

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Quite so.

The SCR-522 being a US manufactured and improved TR1143 and known as the TR5043 when fitted to British aircraft usually of American origin (but you all know this already).

My question stems from the photo of the Type 4 Controller which suggests a TR1196 installation.

Hmmmmmmmmm…Halifax cockpit.

Member for

16 years 11 months

This is beginning to lead me down the path of thinking that this installation is correct for early Mk 1 Stirlings only, I have got another photo showing a completely different installation which I thought was for mk IV/V but leads me to believe it's for all TR1154/1155 installations. You learn something new every day:)

Cees

You thought of the Halifax first, shame on you! :p

John

Member for

15 years 10 months

The cream coloured box for the beam approach equipment always seem to be missing the rotary switch at the bottom left hand corner. Were they modified like this or has the scrap man butchered them for something shiny?

Member for

16 years 11 months

Agreed:confused:

Ours is missing as well.

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is beginning to lead me down the path of thinking that this installation is correct for early Mk 1 Stirlings only, I have got another photo showing a completely different installation which I thought was for mk IV/V but leads me to believe it's for all TR1154/1155 installations. You learn something new every day:)

The electrical and radio installation section of the Vol 1 should cover the basics but I would have thought you would be after a T1154/R1155 installation up for W/T, a TR9F with A1134A installation for R/T and intercom (later replaced with TR1196), some form of SBA and the fact you have an RF unit suggests you are looking to fit some sort of Gee installation.

Hope I’m not opening a can of worms for you.

Anne

Member for

14 years 6 months

Auster,

I noticed that too. Mine came in unused condition out of the deteriorated box so I assumed it was to be added later at MU or squadron level? Any info about said knob? Perhaps missing ones for the Stirling (and the other bomber) could be found. I hate empty holes don't you?;)

Got my pics of the autopilot by the way?

Cheers
Cees

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Anne

Don't worry, I'm glad of any electrickery info I can get being but a simple rigger:D

You are correct in that we have a lot of 1154/1155 stuff, the TR9 is a bit of a mystery to me and what's an SBA?

Cees

Really sorry but after all that it looks like we might have the wrong one after all:o If we can't make use of it do you want it back?

John

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi John, SBA was Standard Beam Approach, a slightly earlier landing aid to BABS. It wasn't particularly successful apart from paving the way for better systems.
I dare say Anne can tell you alot more about it though.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Pagan thanks for that, I sort of guessed it might be (doh!) and I know that we have some of the boxes etc.

cheers

John

Member for

14 years 6 months

John,

I don't want it back:cool:.

Cees

Member for

16 years 7 months

The cream coloured box for the beam approach equipment always seem to be missing the rotary switch at the bottom left hand corner. Were they modified like this or has the scrap man butchered them for something shiny?

The Beam approach control box was made with just the electrics inside.The missing knob,which is not supplied with the new units even (had some boxed) operates a bowden cable which is constructed separately.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Martin,

I have seen the bowden cables in the pilot's notes photographs but the exact shape of the knob should be easy to recreate I think. Any good pics of one?

Cees

Member for

16 years 11 months

Further to the info on different radio set ups, I've got this photo which shows an alternate installation. Can anyone confirm which it is and if so has anyone got one? :D

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's a TR9 controller. The Stirling used the TR9F - both items are rare beasts.

By the way - the Stirling window knobs look a lot like the friction adjuster knob in the hurricane cockpit.

Cheers

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks Elliott

That's most useful

regards

John

Member for

16 years 7 months

it`s for a TR9 John.....Hens teeth!! I have one of the control knobs Cees...will try and send you a pic.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Here's one with a switch!

Lancaster I, III & X Pilot's Notes is without switch

Stirling I, III & IV Pilot's Notes - just off the edge of the picture :p

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Nearly there! The Stirling Aircraft Project has nearly put all of the trials and tribulations of 2010 behind us and we should be in our new workshop by the first weekend of 2011. As stated before we've been busy behind the scenes doing research and working on smaller items.

One area where we've made great progress is in finalising the CAD model of the forward fuselage, the area immediately forward of the cockpit has been especially problematic as it is more complex than you'd first imagine and we think we're nearly there. This should allow us to start drawing up the frames in detail.

The following CAD extracts are probably the closest yet to an original aircraft in shape and form, the slightly prominent 'ridges' forward of the windscreen are a feature of the modelling and will not be apparent on the full sized item ;)

In the meantime enjoy and have a Happy New Year. :D

Attachments

Member for

17 years 3 months

Great to see the Stirlimg Project is still going! I remember when you guys visited us at Duxford when we were restoring the interior of the Shorts Sunderland. I recall the pilot & co-pliots seats plus many other cockpit items were shared or very similar between the 2 airframes! We also liaised on Fraser Nash gun turret manuals if I recall.

Where are you going to be based in the new year?

Member for

16 years 11 months

We'll be based in St Neots. Pino and I came to Dx to look around the Sunderland and as you say many of the components are similar but not transferable:(

regards

John