Heinkel 111 crash, WWII, Listan Way, Southend-on-Sea

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

Southend Airport Photographs

I have just published two of the Southend photographs under another thread on this forum entitled: Seaplane Activity at Southend-on-Sea.

Graham

Member for

3 years 7 months

Hi Everyone,

I see this is a pretty old thread, but thought this might be of interest if anyone's still reading.

As a kid I lived on Chinchilla Road, two roads over from Lifstan Way. I think I was about 7 when I found an old pilot's leather helmet buried in the garden with the rubber ear pieces intact. I knew there were a few crashes in the area, including one that involved a British pilot getting a posthumous medal for skilfully avoiding Southend School High for Boys (which I later went to). I don't know if the helmet I found is British or German, may not even be from that era but certainly old, maybe even related to this Heinkel crash, but recently I got to thinking about it and wondered where it was. Mum still lives in the area and she did some digging and found it for me, nicely intact.

I'm living in Canada now over 20 years later and if this is something that might be of interest I'll ask mum to take a good picture of it and post it here. Maybe this kind of thing happened enough that it's not exciting at all, but I think it's pretty cool so thought I'd share it.

Cheers all!

Gary Bond

Member for

18 years 1 month

Thanks for your post Gary, and welcome to the forum. I am no expert on flying helmets, but there is likely to be someone on the forum who is. So please post a photo if you can organise it.

Laurence

Member for

3 years 7 months

Thanks Laurence, I'm working on it, I believe the helmet may in fact be on its way to me so I'll do that as soon as I get it.

I did also read a couple of years back that a large unexploded bomb was found where the steamroller used to sit which required a few streets to evacuate. No idea where the steamroller ended up though :) 

Member for

3 years 7 months

Hi again everyone,

I’d fully forgotten about this thread after covid ruined all those travel plans.

Happy to say the helmet has been located in my mum’s storage in Southend! I’ve attached a picture and if anyone can offer any details I’d be very grateful. This pic was hurriedly snapped and given to me before the helmet was sent to me in the post, hope it’s useful and interesting to someone. Will post again if needs be when it arrives.

Cheers!

Gary

Attachments
Profile picture for user Southern Air99

Member for

8 years 11 months

Looking at the helmet, I'm inclined to suggest it might be American as opposed to German! Any USAAF crashes in the area?

Attachments

Member for

3 years 7 months

Thanks for the info, certainly looks like it! The other thing I found in that garden as a kid was a toy space shuttle, so maybe a previous occupant just went to the states and bought some souvenirs.

But there were a few USAAF accidents in the area too which I’ll have a look at.

Thanks for the insight!

Gary