Baled out three times?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

653544 Sergeant Harry Ethelbert Turner DFM

I have been trying to piece together the above airman’s flying career during the Second World War. However, I am experiencing some difficulty as there are two H. E.Turners flying with 144 Squadron from RAF Hemswell in Lincolnshire during the same period, both as Wireless Operator / Air Gunners.

The other H. E. Turner I have identified as: 645043 Sergeant Harry Edward Turner.
I am aware of the information given in 'The Hampden File' regarding 'Harry Edward Turner'.

However, I believe 653544 Sergeant Harry Ethelbert Turner, the subject of my research, is the individual who baled out on three separate occasions. As yet, I am unable to positively confirm this.

I have the following information available relating to the three incidents that I believe 653544 Sergeant Harry Ethelbert Turner was involved in:

8/9.11.40.
Hampden P2079 – Crew baled out near Hemswell, Lincolnshire.

Sgt. R. H. Pearman
Sgt. S. R. Streeter
Sgt. H . E. Turner
Sgt. L. W. Jones

8/9.2.41.
Hampden P4359 – Crew baled out near Taverham, Norfolk.

Sgt. R. H. Pearman
Sgt. H. Masters
Sgt. H . E. Turner
Sgt. A. Simmons

20/21.3.41.
Hampden AD745 – Crew baled out near Chelveston, Northamptonshire.

P/O. R. N. Harrison
Sgt. E. W. Smith
Sgt. H . E. Turner
Sgt. A. Simmons

I am able to positively identify 653544 Sergeant Harry Ethelbet Turner as the Wireless Operator/Air Gunner in P/O Harrison's crew, the ORB entry for this flight records the last three digits of his service number against his name. Unfortunately this was not done for the proceeding two incidents. However, it is given against his name on other flights with his pilot Sergeant Pearman. Therefore, I am fairly certain that this is likely to be the same man. But I have no proof. Like wise on a few other flights the last three digits of Harry Edward Turner’s serial number also appear. They are both flying on ops with their respective crews on a least one night.

I was hoping that sources of information could exist that relate to the above incidents giving the service numbers of those involved. If Forum members can recommend possible research sources then I would be extremely grateful. As yet I have not tried to trace any records for the actual aircraft themselves. Is it likely that any documents would contain crew details including individual service numbers?

653544 Sergeant Harry Ethelbet Turner was subsequently awarded the DFM and later killed during 1944 flying with over Italy with No.114 Squadron.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

With kind regards – Malcolm.

Original post

Member for

16 years 3 months

Baled out three times

I know its obvious but have you looked in the Station ORB and if any of the crew failed to survive on the Commonwealth War Graves site.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hello Annek:

Thank you for the reply.

I have looked at the Squadron ORB but not the Station ORB.
I will have to look into this and check it out.

Regarding CWGC I have checked names and taken all details.

Thank you for your very helpful input for which I am very grateful.

With kind regards – Malcolm.