Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yup, that's what got Bill hooked on the idea of finding K7. One of the guys from the band was on hand to photograph the salvage, too.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks for the update Lancman. It's been a few months since I last checked the website. Goodto se how far you've got.
Is it still the plan that Gina Campbell will be the first to pilot her when she's finished?

Member for

24 years 3 months

As an enthusiast I'd like to see that happen, but I don't think she wants to.

Current record holder Ken Warby has been formally invited to do the deed, and he's accepted, however he's not getting any younger, has retired from record breaking, and, shall we say, is now somewhat larger than K7's cockpit! (Which is pretty small- DC wasn't that large a man) However, until retiring it recently he was still topping 200mph in his new boat, so the ability is more than there. Who knows?

I said to Bill, they've had a Black Stig and a White Stig on Top Gear, now they need a Blue Stig- a tame hydroplane driver, anonymous to avoid any political flak!!!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Wasn't Kens son David being groomed to take over the new boat?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Once yes, but there's been a bit of a...well, you know, families, fathers and sons etc... :rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 7 months

Just to you know in this months Old Glory there are previously unpublished photos of the Bluebird.

Phill

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yup, been there,got that! Some nice pictures, if a factually inaccurate article here and there.

Member for

16 years 6 months

I was 11 when Campbell crashed and like many others I have never forgotten the footage of the final moments of Donald and K7. I had always found it unbelievable that both the boat and occupant went missing in the lake and was very pleased to hear the news reports when they were first found.
I must admit that the first pictures of the wreck made me very sceptical that a full restoration would ever be possible. Having looked at the website (for most of one evening) I was impressed by the care taken to make it possible to reuse so much of the original fabric of the boat. I am sure there were many cases where it would have been far easier to fabricate new parts rather than straighten out the original metal.
The whole team should be very proud of themselves and I look forward to the finished restoration and hope that I will at last be able to see K7 on the water.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Carpetbagger,

I was at the same meeting ! - SHHAS in Romsey.

Very good speaker and an interesting lecture.

Member for

18 years

Hi Paul,

I'll see you at the next meeting then, about Boscombe Down?

John

Member for

20 years 8 months

I like that. I may just have to order one.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Plug for Steve Holter's book...motor racing name and avatar...you're not actually Steve there are you?!

Good book for sure, not a definitive acount but certainly an essential part of any Campbell book shelf.

Can't reccommend David Tremayne's 'Donald Campbell- The Man Behind The Mask' enough, and also 'Leo Villa's Blueblird Album' for the most stunning pictures- most in colour- that you'll see on the subject.

He might not be Steve Holter, but I am!!!

I'm just a little curious to your comment "not a definitive account". It's the ONLY book written on the subject with the help of ALL the family and ALL the remaining Bluebird team, and is written as told to me, no romantic additions, and no bias to a hero.

David Tremayne and myself helped each other all through the writing of each of our books, and whereas DJT was an account of the man, mine was an account of how the man and the engineering of his time conspired to break records, as well as showing how Campbell succeeded with what would be today, farm yard machinery!

The chapter on the Rolls-Royce R type was a particular joy to research and write, and along with the Napier Lion, without these two British engines I fear Britain would have been without several records, and record breakers.

Member for

24 years 3 months

LOL, hello Steve!

No offence was meant mate- I just don't think ANY of the books are 'definitive', and you'll note that I did still say yours was 'essential'!

No, you're right- you went with the technical stuff, DJT went with the mythos, the Leo book went with the stunning images, Tonia went with...well, do your own jokes there, and I think Mr Beech is aiming for his name to be bigger than Arthur Knowles' by the time 'The Bluebird Years' gets to edition 1,362,912!!!

See, no harm meant mate!

Mike Bull

Member for

16 years 1 month

LOL, hello Steve!

No offence was meant mate- I just don't think ANY of the books are 'definitive', and you'll note that I did still say yours was 'essential'!

No, you're right- you went with the technical stuff, DJT went with the mythos, the Leo book went with the stunning images, Tonia went with...well, do your own jokes there, and I think Mr Beech is aiming for his name to be bigger than Arthur Knowles' by the time 'The Bluebird Years' gets to edition 1,362,912!!!

See, no harm meant mate!

Mike Bull

Sorry, that was really unfair of me, but I couldn't resist it!

No in essence, nothing well ever be definitive, it can't be, even if it's someone writing about themselves, it will always have a bias, and then when you have ten people contributing, you see a common thread, but little else, that's the "fun" of writing and researching!

Can't wait to see your full size "model" of the Bell X1 cockpit now!

Member for

16 years 5 months

Yes, that's the tip of her nose, looking from the front along to the cockpit opening.

The intention is to rebuild K7 to running condition, and to run her- at low demonstration speeds only of course- at least once, but hopefully as a yearly event. When not wet, she'll live in a new hall that's to be built at The Ruskin Museum in Coniston, which already holds all sorts of Campbell memorabilia, including (for now) her original Gnat tail fin and the original engine that came out of her when she was recovered. It's hoped that Rolls Royce will come on board to re-certify the replacement Orpheus for yay-many hours of ground running at low thrust, which will see K7 good for power for x amount of years.

And all this is being done with no help whatsoever from the Lottery people!

Hi Lancman, i read some where that airframe assemblies on the isle of wight were getting involved with the restoration of this project.

Steve

Member for

20 years 1 month

At the risk of involving some thread creep, does anybody remember another jet-powered waterspeed record challenger called, I think, The White Hart. I was staying in Bowness with my parents when it hit the wake of a ferry on a trial run on Lake Windermere and sank but bobbed up again and the crew of two were rescued. Must have been around 1954 or so. If it's stillaround it might make another exhibit for a water speed record museum perhaps.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I've wondered where the K5 desigation went, seeing that the Bluebird three pointer was K4 and Crusader was K6, now I know. interesting link.

Member for

16 years 1 month

At the risk of involving some thread creep, .

You don't mean me do you? I am actually here for a ligimate reason (although I was unaware forums were for a select few?). I do some work for a company called "Yesterdays Racers" which to my mind includes aircraft (Supermarine S6, Super GeeBee etc etc), and I do like my aircraft as well, so I do hope I am not thought of as an interlooper? I would have thought having been roundly slated for including a whole chapter on the Rolls-Royce R type and the Schnieder Trophy in a book on Donald Campbell, that I might be considered as an aircraft "buff", but if not, I'll get my coat and go! I'm sure Mike can fill the void re White Hawk, over to you Mike!;)