Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7

Read the forum code of contact

OK, I will keep looking.

Mark

Member for

16 years 3 months

Hi Lancman, pm me your details and I will post them on to you.:)

Member for

16 years 6 months

Found These--All yours.

Hi Lancman,
had a search through my Small boxes of AGS and found these:-

4 Symmonds nuts, ( 4 BA ) plus some others that are period, Pm me details and I'll get them over to you.

Notice that there is a Symmonds nut inside that Trapnut, So look for these Folks ,that should yield more.

-------------------------------------
Hope these help, While we are here and after reading Grobling About's account, maybe folks might like to know of my experience:-

I actually bumped into Donald Campbel twice out in Adelaide in 1964, whilst serving in RAF on 4 JSTU ( Blue Steel Trials ). First time was when Donald and whole crew made a visit to us at Edinburgh Field and was given the VIP treatment, I think this was before he did the Record runs in Bluebird on Lake Eyre. The party were shown all around the Hanger and our set-Up and then a presentation was made to Donald of a Flying Suit and a Mk 1 Bone dome, Complete with oxygen mask and Dark Visor. as was used by our pilots at the time. ( This has to be the one he used on his runs and later in UK in the Aquatic Bluebird you guys are making such a great job of restoring ) We were all lined up in the hanger and stood at ease for this as The Civillian Bosses, test Pilots as well as RAF ones were all there. Speeches were made by both sides and it was a historic moment,( more so now.)

A group of My Mates ( Airmen ) at the time went all the way up to Visit The Campbell Team during the record runs, staying there nearly a week, ( If my memory serves me correctly )They asked me to go with them, but I declined as too busy with other interests--:D ( Well I was young then.) They had a great time up there ,helping out where they could and apparently everyone got on well together. I got to see their Slide show afterwards and can still remember the happy looks on everyones faces and our guys getting stuck in to help.

I bumped into Donald later in 1964, after the runs, where he did a triumphant parade, driving BlueBird through the main centre streets of Adelaide as an appreciation of Australia's help.

Bluebird ran great at just over walking speed right up the main drag,but could not turn the left corner at end to go up side street. With engine still running a load of Police and Aussie Army pushed Bluebird back and he tried again, still no Joy, but then Donald shut the engine down as it was overheating, climbed out and sat on top of BlueBird waiting for her to cool off. This was my chance !! :D I dived under the ropes holding crowd back, went right across to Bluebird and shouted "Donald", very loudly, everyone looked round including Donald, whereupon, I took a photo of him. I then shouted "Thanks Donald" and he waved and said " OK Welcome". WOW! Even then I felt really elated,----- I'd spoken to the great man. I ducked back under the barrier and eventually, BlueBird was pushed away to an overnight stay in a local Adelaide vehicle repair garage and that was the last I saw of her and Donald. This has lived with me for over 4 decades now as a unique and very happy event.#

Imagine if I tried to do that today, phew!!! I'd have been locked down on floor by protection people and roughed up, ( If I was lucky )

When Donald was killed in other BlueBird, that gutted me, as it shocked so many other folks too and I knew this was a passing of an Era,I'd been priviliged to have a small part in.

Bill T

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks guys, this is great help!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Okay, I'm now just one nut short of the 8 I need- can anyone else help?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thats a lovely memory Bill T... thanks for sharing.!

Member for

24 years 3 months

We're up for another public consultation re. getting Bluebird onto the lake- if anyone would like to support us, please feel free to fill in this brief online survey from that positive point of view-

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WW5ZZKJ

Thanks! :cool:

Member for

16 years 11 months

woop more red tape bullsh1t lol

taken the survey :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Done!

Member for

14 years 10 months

Also done.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Much obliged folks!

Member for

16 years 4 months

Done and good luck

Andy

Member for

16 years 6 months

Done and I hope the application is successful and we will be able to see K7 back on the water for the enjoyment and education of the generations who missed her first time around.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Done with pleasure.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Done with pleasure mate

Jon

Member for

14 years 6 months

Hi Lancman

Can you not set up a thread to attract the attention of all forumites to your campaign . I,m sure everybody is 100% behind you.

Regards

Jon:):)

Member for

14 years 4 months

Done, and best of luck! ;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

Some time ago I visited the 'shed' at Coniston Water, standing there with those memories from the past ticked a few boxs in my 'things to be done' list.
I have just returned the compliment by ticking a few of your boxs.

Keith.

Member for

18 years 9 months

done