North Weald Catalina

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 4 months

Ok we all know there was a catalina at NW (bright orange). I think its still on gogle earth

anyway, i believe it went to the far east but has had some engine trouble

can anyone throw some light on this?

and

who owns the beast?

Thanks

________
Montana marijuana dispensaries
________
CHEAP GAMO MATCH GRAINS WADCUTTER 500CT

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Used to be part of Warbirds of Great Britain then Flying A Services. It was off to Israel but broke on the way and spent some time in France. Rumour had it a couple of weeks ago it was seen heading towards a boat on the back of a lorry.
Shame it ended up like that, I did a bit of work on it when it was moved from Biggin Hill to North Weald and at that time it wasn't a bad aircraft....

Member for

24 years 2 months

As I understood it the plan was that she would be a static exhibit at a museum in Israel.

Anyone noticed any movement around the C54's recently?

Member for

20 years

It was prepared and initially ferried by Chuck Elsworth (Canadian) I believe, who is something of a PBY guru, seemingly. The details were recounted by him either here or Pprune (no time to seach at mo) . The trip ended prematurely in France with engine trouble, acrimony, accusations, allegations. Basically, empty pram, and air thick with flying teddies.

Chuck went home. PBY did not.

Member for

21 years

It was prepared and initially ferried by Chuck Elsworth (Canadian) I believe, who is something of a PBY guru, seemingly. The details were recounted by him either here or Pprune (no time to seach at mo) . The trip ended prematurely in France with engine trouble, acrimony, accusations, allegations. Basically, empty pram, and air thick with flying teddies.

Chuck is most definitely yer man for anything PBY; there is no-one else alive with his depth of experience. There was a falling out with the new owner when Chuck was not prepared to fly the aircraft in an unsafe condition and another person flew it instead. That the aircarft has now been dismantled and moved by surface only serves to strengthen Chuck's case.

Member for

21 years

Chuck is most definitely yer man for anything PBY; there is no-one else alive with his depth of experience. There was a falling out with the new owner when Chuck was not prepared to fly the aircraft in an unsafe condition and another person flew it instead. That the aircraft has now been dismantled and moved by surface only serves to strengthen Chuck's case.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Ok we all know there was a catalina at NW (bright orange). I think its still on gogle earth

anyway, i believe it went to the far east but has had some engine trouble

can anyone throw some light on this?

and

who owns the beast?

Thanks

I've just had a look and I can't see it on GE, or am I being blond?

Sorry to all blonds reading this...!

Member for

20 years 6 months

It's on Beauvais Airport GE just left of the 04 centreline at about a quarter mile final by a set of small hangars

Member for

19 years 2 months

Too tired to search...did it used to be C-FHNH, that turned up at Southend in the early 80's?

Member for

17 years 6 months

I seem to recall an orange Catalina at East Midlands Airport in the mid-1980s. I mentioned it to my Dad at the time (a big Cat. fan) but he didn't believe me - until he saw the photos!
I'm sure I still have those (poor) photos of it somewhere.
Is this the same aircraft? I often wondered what happened to the EMA PBY...

Member for

17 years 10 months

The North Weald Cat was around a lot the past 20 years .
It's been to North Weald, East Midlands, Exeter [ where one of the main wheels gave way on landing IIRC The pilot being 'Dizzy' Allcott.]
It spent most of it's time at North Weald and has been registered N285RA,
C-FHNH and G-BPFY,N212DM whilst in this country.

Member for

17 years 2 months

The aformentioned undercarraige collapse (starboard side main) was not at Exeter but at North Weald when it was delivered there for the first time, the departure point having been Exeter. Its Canadian owners back in 1985 were Avalon Aviation and when they closed down, this Catalina, then C-FHNH, was the only one of the fleet not in Ontario. It was in Norway on a water bombing contract. It then went to Castle Donington and then to Exeter where, whilst in open storage, it had an argument with a Dak which was blown into it in strong winds. It then went to North Weald where it had its u/c collapse and later to Biggin Hill before going back to N Weald. All of these 'residencies' were quite extended. As related above, it eventually departed NW for Israel but only got as far as Northern France before engine problems necessitated a precautionary landing at Beauvais where it remained after what will probably turn out to be its final flight. Its destination (by road) after leaving Beauvais a couple of weeks ago was Antwerp from where I believe it is to be shipped to Israel and the IDFAF Museum at Hatzerim. Although the Edwards Brothers and Chuck Ellsworth did much of the prep work at North Weald to get it flying again and delivered to israel, they were not able to compete the work because of the disagreement that occurred between them and the owner of the Cat and so Chuck never actually flew it in the UK although he had flown it many years before when it was in Canada.

Member for

17 years 10 months

The aformentioned undercarraige collapse (starboard side main) was not at Exeter but at North Weald when it was delivered there for the first time, the departure point having been Exeter..

Thanks for the correction i was recalling facts from memory [which failed me!!] lol