Jean Lennox Bird

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

I have always taken a special interest in Lady Pilots.
Jean Lennox Bird was the former ATA pilot I alluded to in the unfortunate Diana Barnato Walker remembrance thread,she was the first female RAF pilot to be awarded full RAF pilots Wings (for the pedants she was WRAFVR).
Unfortunately she died in a Miles Aerovan accident (at Manchester ??) in 1957.
Anybody have any interesting info/photos of this lady.

edit ...I think she was the only female to actually get her wings before the VR's were chopped,is that correct ??I read somew
Some others had the 'budgie badge' (elementary flying badge) inc Jackie Sorour (Moggridge)

edit 2 .. I have checked in Jackie sorour (moggridge) 'Woman Pilot' and she actually did get her 'proper' wings but only just before the VR programme was chopped

thanks baz

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sorry bazv no news on Jean Bird but the Miles Aerovan was G-AISF of Meridian Air Maps crashed on take off Ringway 29.4.57 due to fuel pump failure.

Member for

19 years

I have changed the thread title and edited the rest to see if anybody has any more info

cheers baz

Member for

14 years 5 months

BEEN A WHILE SINCE THE LAST POST ON JEAN BIRD SO THOUGHT THE FOLLOWING MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
I CAME ACROSS THE LADY WHEN SHE WAS A FOUNDER MEMBER AND INSTUCTOR WITH THE NEWLY FORMED ULTRA LIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOC AT REDHILL IN THE LATE 40'S. MY DAD HAD MANGED TO DO THE ASSOC A FAVOUR BY GETTING SOME ELECTRCITY SUPPLY FOR THEIR HUT (NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING ABOUT IN THOSE POST WAR YEARS) AND AS A THANKYOU SHE OFFERED ONE VERY OVER AWED BOY A FLIGHT.PERFECT SUMMERS EVENING AND A DH 94 MOTH MINOR. MAGICAL. NO GUNG HO FLYING BUT PATIENTLY EXPLAINING EVERY PART OF THE FLIGHT AND LETTING ME SAMPLE THE CONTROLS SHE INSTILLED CONFIDENCE AND BY THE END STANDING THE MOTH ON ITS WINGTIP TO THIS SCHOOLBOYS DELIGHT
A REAL LADY AND A GREAT LOSS BUT STILL AN INSPIRATION
BY THE WAY THERE IS A PHOTO ON THE RAF MUSEUM SITE
THANKS FOR RENEWING A FOND MEMORY

Member for

10 years 1 month

I found this site yesterday, after doing a search for 'Jean Bird'.
I rmember her name from my gliding days at Lasham in the 1950s. Never actually saw her, but at one time there was a splendid old Armstrong-Siddeley tourer there, which was used to tow a trailer for a few cross-country retrieves. Don't know what model or year it was: it looked sort of early 1930s. I used it on one occasion to retrieve the Slingsby Petrel belonging to a group of which I was a member. I remember someone saying that the car had previously belonged to Jean Bird, but who owned it when it was at Lasham, I don't know. I don't think it was there for long, so I hope it ended up with someone who looked after it and put it to a more dignified use than towing glider trailers. Has anyone here heard of Jean Bird owning such a car?

Member for

10 years 1 month

As this post was last active in 2008, I am checking to see if anyone still looks at it or is interested.

When I was a boy, I knew Jean Bird quite well. My father worked with her at Meridian Airmaps, Shoreham Airport, in the Miles Aerovan, first as a photographer, and later as her co-pilot. (He had taken another job not long before the crash which also killed his replacement).

I flew (as a passenger) with her in the Aerovan to Wales when she and my father were on a work assignment. My father cared for her car (a massive 1920-something Armstrong Siddely) for several months while she was away on assignment.

I have my father's photos, including a few of Jean, and one of her in the Aerovan.
If anyone shows interest, I will download them into this thread. This will take some time, by the way, as my photos are still filed in random order.

Cheers.

Member for

10 years 1 month

Ooops. BarryF here again. Just noticed John Bunting's 2014 posting. "Siddeley", yes, not Siddely. John, I have a photo of this car, with my mother at the wheel.

Member for

19 years

Hi Barry
I am sure some people on here would love to see some Jean Bird related photos :)
Always a nice surprise when ones old threads come back to life :)

rgds baz

Member for

17 years 7 months

As this post was last active in 2008, I am checking to see if anyone still looks at it or is interested.

When I was a boy, I knew Jean Bird quite well. My father worked with her at Meridian Airmaps, Shoreham Airport, in the Miles Aerovan, first as a photographer, and later as her co-pilot. (He had taken another job not long before the crash which also killed his replacement).

I flew (as a passenger) with her in the Aerovan to Wales when she and my father were on a work assignment. My father cared for her car (a massive 1920-something Armstrong Siddely) for several months while she was away on assignment.

I have my father's photos, including a few of Jean, and one of her in the Aerovan.
If anyone shows interest, I will download them into this thread. This will take some time, by the way, as my photos are still filed in random order.

Cheers.

Do please show us the photos as this is a very interesting thread and the achievements of this lady deserves recording. As an aside looking at the fates of the various Aerovans most of the production run crashed or were scrapped after forced landings.

John

Member for

16 years 7 months

What a shame that BarryF never did upload the photographs that he mentioned.