Whirlwind

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

talking of whirlwinds, does anyone know how XJ729 is doing, id love to see her back in this country, if only i had the money...

Member for

17 years

You could try contacting the Secretary of the BAPC - he has his own Whirlwind and has worked on them even longer than me.

Bravoalpha... I find that VERY hard to believe....:p

Member for

18 years 1 month

Ive been looking for sometime for a old engine , nothing as extravegant as a merlin,

Ive been looking for a radial, my best bet is to find one out of a old Whirlwind /sikorsky helicopter.

Is this any good? Radial engine on E-bay

Member for

18 years 2 months

Whirlwind XN387

Hi .. Been trawling through the Net, and reading the 21st edition of Wrecks a Relics,

Come across XN387 Whirlwind HAR.9 supposedly residing in a Scrapyard on the A685,South of Brough, Kendal, Cumbria . and "Was" for sale, ??

Can anyone tell me any more about this old bird, is she now scrapped. I know she was in a bad way , But have no Idea what happened to her after she went to the scrapyard ???,

Anyone have any Idea's or Photo's ???

:D

I have trawled the net,and looked at the books and have drawn a blank.. would be interested with what you fine fellows can come up with :)

Member for

16 years 10 months

hey mate, does this mean you're back with us?

concerning whirlygigs, theres one not far from me at the ex Raf Long Marston - Xp346

Member for

16 years 5 months

Ive just contacted the fire school regarding XP330,

the boss was quite interested in the Borneo connection of XP330's History,

He said its been with the school for 28 years and is in a very bad way, and they desperately need a replacement, But still need it as they have no choice but to use it for there training

If any type of Helo fuselage civillian or military (please no wessex's or i would cry LOL)could be found he would gladly swap,
a interesting turn of events , It may be personal But i think she is quite unique in the fact she has such a colourful Military history ,before being turned into a officers transport in the late 60s early 70s , and she is also on the Australian war memorial site ,conducting a SAS raid on insergents, and she was in that conflict for quite a few years I think , she must have seen some action.

If I cannot do it for what ever reason , would any Museum or group out there be interested in saving this war veteran, even though it "Might" be too late ?? due to her condition ??

a new interesting note !!!!
Ive just recieved another phone call to be told the fire school is going to take some photos tomorrow whilst on the training ground, as soon as I get them, I will put some on here for all to see!!

merkle did you get the photo's from the fire school?? if so can u post them?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Only down side of Whirlwinds is that if left unattended Mother Nature is even less kind than normal. From memory has a stupidly high mag alloy content?

Picture taken inside one as an example - every white patch, bar the obviously as designed 3 circular cut outs, is where the skin has completely corroded through.

Jon

Member for

18 years 2 months

Whirlwind

Hi all,:D

Yes I am back, not too often though, Ive been busy doing up my Lambretta, I tried my Hardest to turn my back on the Aviation scene, as I just seemed to be getting nowhere with it, But I Cant .. its in me and been in me since childhood, Carry on Regardless I say :D .. I Must be a slave to aviation ,LOL

Ive been Busy writing letters, to all sorts of Govt dept's etc regarding wessex hulks, (still cant stop thinking of em) (sorry to Bore you all. haha)

I find it hard to understand why it is the likes of Paintball Parks, Diving centres,Film companies and outdoor Pursuits Centre's seem to be able to obtain old Hulks that invariably eventually end up destroyed.

and yet when a single person, who isnt a Business, or a charity tries to talk to the MOD etc it sometimes feels like banging yer head against a brick wall,

I really in all honesty, whatever cockpit I have Harped on about in the past, only ever wanted what so many of you wanted to do, Lovingly restore it, and take it to shows, and even perhaps use it to raise funds for our service personel's Charities.

I wanted to do this 10 years ago, But never pulled my finger out, or got all confused with the red tape,its amazing to see just how regulated it all is ??.

So I will keep on searching, Ive given up on Hunters, Love them to bits mind, allways will, But there now in such short supply and all in Private hands,with such a big following.
However, the wessex, well different story, there seems to be a abundance of them all over the country, and now as far as I am aware are Banned from any future flying,due to a design fault in the rotor drive ?. so lots of them are now in Museums ,which is a good thing, But the majority are still Mouldering on fire dumps , or being used as training rigs for new erks, all Good causes I grant you, but with so many , surely there must be a way to secure a old Cockpit/Cab from a Hulk that is due to be scrapped ??,especailly when on certain bases they are not even used, and are abandoned on there sides, smashed and forlorn, sad remains of what were once such loved aircraft.

theres not even much scrap metal in a Wessex/whirlwind cockpit for it to be of any scrap Value.

I just thought it would be a novel way of continuing some sort of service to
raise funds now and again for charity, rather than just being chopped up??.

Ive written many letters and hope for a reply, But I am not counting on it,
Because simply ,I dont think the powers that be are interested in a Individual,but rather would not rock the boat and continue to use the system for disposal they have in place to the letter. Red tape after red tape.

So i have hit another Brick wall??, and to be honest.. I am at a Loss as to what to do about it,or how to next approach it.

I May have it all wrong ??. and its me who is wrong and have been dealing with the wrong dept, or organisations.. I certainly am no expert.

so Please if anyone out there knows "who or What" dept to deal with regarding this issue, I would really appreciate a "Pointer" in the right direction?:confused:

as for the fire dump Photos, of the whirlygig, well, they were never done, I never recieved them in the end sadly,

and lastly .. a Very Happy St Goerge's Day to you all ,its been a corker weather wise ;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi all,:D

Yes I am back, ;)

Welcome back....and good luck with the search.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Re- Welcome Back !

Why Thankyou for your Kind words.. Come on .. you cant have missed me, I was forever Moaning .. LOL;):D:diablo:

Member for

18 years 2 months

Gutted :(

Just read that 2 or 3 of the Preddanack Wessex Airframes, that would have been Ideal as cockpit restorations were "BURNT" :eek: :( in 2008 .. Probably whilst I was writing emails and asking about them :( .. Theres a bloody suprise :rolleyes::rolleyes:

it really does seem to me the powers that be really really do there level best to "Stick to the system" as to not stick to the system .. God the Forms they would have to fill in :)

I believe XM870 and XP160 were 2 of those that were burned ?:(: (: mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's hardly surprising that two of the airframes at Prendannack were burnt. The site exists to train firefighters in the art of rescuing people - the 'powers that be' don't exist to pander to the desires of aircraft enthusiasts - the aircraft have a value and are sold through tenders amongst other avenues.
I suggest that you look again at the likely candidates and avoid machines were basically it's destroyed just to yield a cockpit.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Calm down Merkle, and welcome back !! Always remember that what you want is not what the rest of the world wants ?

Golden rules ... Think ... Type .... Think ... Read ... Read Again ... Read Yet Again ... Think (is this the answer that I realy mean to post) ... Post.

Sorry just remembering some of the states you have gotten yourself into in the past !

And Welcome Back again !

Keith.

Member for

18 years 2 months

It's hardly surprising that two of the airframes at Prendannack were burnt. The site exists to train firefighters in the art of rescuing people - the 'powers that be' don't exist to pander to the desires of aircraft enthusiasts - the aircraft have a value and are sold through tenders amongst other avenues.
I suggest that you look again at the likely candidates and avoid machines were basically it's destroyed just to yield a cockpit.

Hi David,

I am not being narky , just wanting to pass on info i was told by a C/O of a firefighting school , MOD.and by some others who have all said the same thing.who work within the Fire dept's

The reason I was suprised that the airframes were burnt, was because I was told quite catagorically that because of new enviroment Guidelines a few years ago the BURNING of Airframes became a Tabboo, and they were not allowed to Burn them because of "Contamination" etc (I dont know all the ins a outs)

instead they are supposed to use a purpose built rig for Fire practice,

all they can use in airframes are "Smokes" to practice fire procedures, and also crew rescue procedure training.

This is why I as I say was shocked, Please dont think I was "Having a go ,I was Just Highlighting the fact.

Thanks for the Input though I do appreciate it :)

Member for

18 years 2 months

Scrap ?

Oh and By the way David, I have been studying suitable candidates for quite some time, and I agree with what you say It has to be one that is suitable ie- a frame that is past restoration, But there isnt many of those as most are in restorable condition.

I wish it were possible to save and transport a whole one to various shows, but sadly i am sure you are aware Logistically that is impossible, so it has to be a cockpit section, as Logistics govern this.

Also the ones that come up for tender are normally in very good condition, and run in there thousands,

I have approached a museum regarding a Hulk, Hopefully they might oblidge,
I await there reply with Bated breath,

Its quite funny really old scrap boats are old scrap Boats, Unless you happen to love Boats, old classic cars are the same, Even things like the Austin Maxi have some sort of following, and you wouldnt think twice about seeing one of those crushed at the scrap yard, yet aircraft never seem to be classed as scrap, even when most of the bits are missing and theres plenty of rot in it and there in Abundance,Theres allways someone there who will save it if they can, the same goes for any other "Old" Vehicle ,They all have followings by many individuals, Many would disagree with us and say.. its Just old scrappy helicopters or Airplane, who the hell would want that !, the same as if someone offered me a austin allegro or Maxi, I would say "who the hell would want that !".
It all Boils down to one mans rubbish is another mans gold I suppose,

at the end of the day ,no matter how pleasing to the eye old aircraft derelict or otherwise might enthrall us aircraft nuts, a Lot of it is Just that "Scrap" , never again to do its job or purpose in life , redundant , same with cars or anything past there "Usefull" Purpose, so what is the real harm in removing a cockpit from something that there are many many examples of in the country,and is totally redundant ,before the aircraft is scrapped on site anyway, if it was a Vauxhall Nova you wouldnt bat a eyelid,.... why should a old Wessex be any different.

I am only pointing out what many who dont have a passion in aviation like we do might think of all this ??

I only say this as I met a man today who used to work in RAF St Athan , his job used to be scrapping Tornado jets, that had run past there service date,
he said to look at them when they come in ,they were nice clean aircraft, but by the time his contract team had finished with them,they were just chopped ,Stripped,empty Hulks, and he couldnt understand why I was so facinated with them, to him it was just a Job, and I am sure he would do it to a fleet of Wessex given half a chance, he said it was the best job of his life,But as for the planes,well he didnt give a damn, Just scrap metal to him .

So hence why I was trying to find the right MOD department to find out about saving a cockpit next time one is up for scrap,because no matter how I feel enthusiastic about them, if there going to be Junked, then thats that, and it will happen regardless if I enquire or not.
But,....If I can save a little something "Whilst" there in the throws of doing it, well....
... Happy Days !! :):)

Member for

18 years 2 months

Whirlwind XP344 North Luffenham/Rutland

I am still wondering if any of you have seen in 2008/2009 the wreck of Whirlwind XP344 ,from reports on the web seemingly dumped in a hedge
on the edge of the airfield ?.. My question is has anyone enquired about her or moved her from her long term location ?

Looking at her she is Painted with French Roundals, so I imagine she must have served with the french airforce at some time in the past, but she has a British Serial No ??.

Looking at the high content of Mag Alloy in the airframe of all whirlwinds, I hate to think what the Corrosive state of her is today?

any info about her I would be interested to know, and or any other airframes in rough condition, ie too far gone for a restoration, especailly Whirlwind,Wessex,or JP Mrk 3 or 4.

I am not talking of the photos we have all seen on the net, but things that are generally not known,and would be interesting to all.

So has anyone Visited XP344 in Recent Months ??, or have any new pics of Preddannack Airframes ?

I look forward to your replies :D

Thanks to all who can help :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Merkle- She flew with the RAF as a HAR.10 . The paint scheme is totally ficticious - the FAF didn't operate HAR.10's . She is still there and used occasionally for training exercises. Regards magnesium - not all Whirlwinds suffer badly. At Finningley magnesium skins were replaced on RAF examples during servicing hence why ex RAF examples don't in some cases suffer so much.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thankyou for that Info David,

I wonder why she was Painted in FAF colours at all ??, if it was totally ficticious,
very interesting all the same, she has been there quite some time, One day I would love to go and see the old girl, if I am in the area, and ive Permission of course . I am not one of these "Urban Explorer" types .
Thanks again :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Merkle - There is no 'if' about it being ficticious - it is. She was painted with olive drab and I guess what ever colour came to hand. I shouldn't think too deeply about the choice of roundel colour - it wasn't researched to any degree.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sorry David,

I was a bit tired when I wrote that statement,and Muddled my words up as per usual :D :o

No I never disagreed with you, I just wondered why she was in those colours that was all, was she used in a film, or some use that was not the norm? .