Barton(Beds) Aerodrome

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

Just a quick update....

research is still on going into the airfield, the people and the aircraft, many thanks to all those that have got in contact with me (I may not have replied to all yet but I still have everyone's contact details on file).

My initial research has sparked some local interest and if there is anyone local there will be short presentation in the village library 1st March by another local researcher whom I have passed on the bulk of my notes too, I will try and post up any developments from this meeting.

once again many thanks for everyone's help.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Hi Jenna,
Thanks for the up date I will try to the presentation. I will be thatching a roof in Bedford road, Barton hopefully starting some time next week. So was thinking of popping in to the library to see what they had.

Dave

Member for

17 years 6 months

Good to hear the research is continuing Jenna.

I too will try to make the talk on 1st March. What time is it due to kick off?

Member for

19 years 3 months

I'm kind of local as well - can we have an address and timings please!

ds

Member for

18 years 1 month

Looks like i'll behaving a long lunch time on the 1st of march. Yes the roof near the corner of mill road. Last worked on it about 1978.

Dave

Member for

19 years 3 months

Sorry, I'll be working. I have noticed a few Bedfordshire-located forumites - perhaps an evening re-run if there was enough interest?

ds

Member for

15 years 4 months

that's a shame ds but depending on local interest the whole project may move forward, so there may be a follow up.

I'm keen to get the airfield to become a continuous project for the village, maybe even kick off a historical group to document things before they disappear under yet more houses!

I'm also looking at:

running a schools project to build/show models, pictures etc of the aircraft designed/built here.

a one off large scale accurate model of the Buzzard, we have several model aircraft clubs to get it in the air (my be from the original airfield).

re-opening the airstrip for one day as a fly-in, you could still get 650mts on stubble with a little organising!

Member for

15 years 5 months

Luckily I've got half a day of holiday from work left that I need to use before the end of March. I've been looking for an opportunity to use it and the talk at the library seems as good a reason as any. :)

Member for

13 years 1 month

Meeting

I'll try to get to the meeting and I have mentioned it to some friends, one of whom grew up in Barton and now flies exec jets, as well as Tiger Moths...

Member for

18 years 1 month

I sent my son to Barton library, as its just up the road form where we are working. They are taking bookings for seats as they are expecting alot of people to turn up. So he has booked seats for us..

Dave

Member for

15 years 4 months

lol was that you on the roof the other afternoon by chance!

ok i'm looking into another lead and could with help with any information on:

Mr. H.E. Bolton

Hawkridge Aircraft Company Ltd

many thanks

Member for

18 years 1 month

No that was my son, he thought it was you!

I have a small amount on Hawkridge Aircraft. Including One of there glider's. I also know someone who worked for them.

Dave

Member for

15 years 4 months

lmao you cant miss the big white furry mutts.

I've never been convinced that Luton aircraft were in the nursery in Hollybush Lane, the owners know nowt about it (either aircraft or wartime engineering!) so I was doing some digging and Hawkridge Aircraft seam to pop into the research with to many coincidences.

They had a postal address in Dunstable (just like Luton Aircraft had) they were in Oxford Road Denham (just like Luton Aircraft had been) and they seem to have been doing the work that Luton Aircraft had in that area just a couple of years after the business stopped.

what's more the address on Oxford Road WAS a nursery!... so could people be getting this confused with the one in Hollybush Lane round the corner?

The site is now under a garden centre so nothing left on the ground.

Member for

15 years 4 months

just a quick reminder, anyone in the local area that's interested there is going to be a presentation in the village library about the aerodrome this Tuesday...

1st March, 2.30pm, Barton le clay library.

more information will be posted on the village community website, we are also looking at the possibility of sound recording/videoing so that the presentation can be archived and pod-cast from the community website in the near future.

Barton-Le-Clay Community website can be found here or click the signature link.

Member for

18 years 1 month

On thursday My son booked a seat for my father at the presentation, He was told that ther was only one seat left. Two people had cancelled. So please check before turning up, if you havent booked for a seat. Looking forward to the event.

Dave

Member for

16 years 9 months

How did the event go ? I was sleeping off night shift so unable to attend.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Meeting

Sorry I missed the meeting Jenna. Unfortunately work overruled my plans to be there. Any more planned?

Member for

15 years 4 months

Hi everyone.

Not a problem T-21, Banupa, we had a really great turnout so much so we had shift some of the library shelves to get people in which cant be bad.

Plans are for a follow on in July which will be on a weekend afternoon and that will coincide with an airfield walk either shortly before or after.... hopefully we may have a very splendid new location too. We hope to widen the presentation up a little with a lot more technical information and even go a little interactive!

If you want to read more on the progress of the presentation then the link below will help.
http://www.bartonleclay.org/forum/Bartons-Lost-Aerodrome

I cant thank every one enough for the help in this thread, its been instrumental in getting us as far as we have.

I have some new information on the airfield, and I can confirm some dates so expect a few new posts in the next day or so.