Barton(Beds) Aerodrome

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

I can not believe its been a year from the last update on this thread, sorry!

Research on the history of the aerodrome is still ticking on however I have also been pulled into researching the whole Special Operations Executive (SOE) operation in WWII which has a little slowed up the aerodrome side.

I will do a follow up on the aerodrome soon.

I should also let everyone know that I instigated establishing a Barton & District History Group... the first meeting is to be held in the village hall on the 31st May.

Barton & District History Group
Thursday 31st May 2012
7.30pm
Barton Le Clay Village Hall (MK45 4JY).

Everyone is welcome and I hope we can establish several long term project which will include the villages aerodrome.

more information on this is on the village website... http://www.bartonleclay.org/

Member for

15 years 4 months

I will update this thread soon, I have loads more dates to add and I am happy to say I have found the original hand drawn map of the proposed airfield expansion in 1939

Member for

16 years 7 months

.....are you yet able to do so, Jenna?

Member for

4 years 5 months

I wonder what happened to all the work Jenna did on this airfield.  None of the image or PDF links work, nor does www.bartonleclay.org sadly.

Member for

19 years 1 month

There is a 'Barton-Le-Clay History Society' page on FB - I do not know if 'Jenna' has put anything on there - there are a few aircraft pics just from a quick look.

Member for

5 years 9 months

I was in touch with her years ago, but failed to contact her in more recent times.  I added some of her research to my own and published it in my book on Captain Marendaz 'The All British Marendaz Special'.  Available on Ebay for around £13 these days.

Regards to all,

Graham 

Member for

16 years 7 months

It's probably not helped by the fact that there is a Barton & District History Group (q.v. Jenna's post of 3 May 2012), with an online presence, whose sphere of interest is Barton-on-Humber, in North Lincolnshire, rather than Barton-le-Clay in Bedfordshire!