Bandits at 12 O'clock

Profile picture for user BSG-75

Member for

12 years 6 months

Just taken delivery of one of the "commando" picture library republications, "12 of the best air-combat commando books ever" - straight back to my youth, its even on the same "quality" paper, non of that shiny rubbish.

thats the afternoon taken care of - and something else to lure Junior with when he has a read. superb artwork, panel by panel ink drawn, OK, maybe a little inaccurate for the purists - but this is aviation heaven and a link back in time.

I used to buy them second hand from "Ned Scrumpo's Emporium Of Goodies" - then go back next week and swap them out. what a memory.....:D

Original post
Profile picture for user JDK

Member for

16 years 5 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent, and technically almost without fault. Then there were others...

Member for

12 years 6 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent, and technically almost without fault. Then there were others...

fair mixture in here - "mein gott" "zum tuefel"......... £10 well spent !:D

Profile picture for user Hornchurch

Member for

14 years 5 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent.......

One of the former !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This luckily survived in my Folks Garage, long after I'd left & married

Re-united in the mid-nineties with it's original owner ;) who'd bought it as a young lad, back in 1974

Well, seeing as I never snagged the 'Frog' Whitley at the time, this had to make do :D !!!!!!!!

Attachments

Member for

13 years

I too have fond memories of the Commando comics, exciting as a boy to read the stories in them.

I remember reading about the Mynarski Lancaster in commando- wonder what one that was?

Profile picture for user DazDaMan

Member for

16 years 6 months

Blimey, I've not read Commando since I was about 13!

Might need to get hold of this, as I only used to buy the ones that had aircraft in! :o

Member for

12 years 6 months

One of the former !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, seeing as I never snagged the 'Frog' Whitley at the time, this had to make do :D !!!!!!!!

Nice to see the Whitley is its lesser known "Close Air Support Role":D

They are a time warp back, yes you can nit pick (see above!) but they are part and parcel of how I got into my interest in all things aircraft related.

Profile picture for user pfP7063

Member for

11 years 11 months

Nice thread!

I remember saving up my pocket money as kid in the 70's so that I could buy a few during the school holidays. Loved the artwork and stories then - still do!

I still have all the old ones - plus a few 'new' ones besides. I've been collecting all those I can find with Whirlwinds in them. Here are a couple, including one from Commando.

Enjoy!

Paul

PS Does anyone know of any others?

Attachments
Profile picture for user Frazer Nash

Member for

11 years 6 months

I have to say my favourite was the Japanese ground troops' inevitable cry when they were being strafed......

"AIIEEE!! I DIE!"

Member for

12 years 6 months

Nice thread!

My son has one of the earlier ones, "all guns blazing" it has a story "fire over england" about a Whirlwind squadron who face rocket firing U-boats that attack the chain home stations.

and when I say my son has it, its mine I just keep it in his room to keep Mrs BSG happy....:rolleyes:

Profile picture for user pfP7063

Member for

11 years 11 months

Thanks BSG, I managed to get a copy of this one back in Sep. from that well known auction site!

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks BSG, I managed to get a copy of this one back in Sep. from that well known auction site!

nice artwork and quite accurate to in that one - some were daft to look at now, I have a vivid memory of a comic where a JU-52 was fitted with cannon from a crashed Stuka in Russia and used to whip around battlefields taking out the "Ivan" tanks. "Himmel, one more to us!"

Profile picture for user Loose-Head

Member for

15 years 9 months

Battler Britton ( remember him anyone ) flew Whirlwinds in one of his stories. Had it as a kid, possibly still residing in my mothers attic !!!

Profile picture for user OneEighthBit

Member for

11 years 10 months

Wasn't there one about a Horsa as well? :confused:

Profile picture for user Dr Strangelove

Member for

11 years 8 months

Oh gawd, looks like I've another item to add to "zee list" for Xmas:D

Used to get Air Ace, Battle & Commando books, & oddly enough I do remember one featuring a Horas glider, think an expedition into the loft is in order to see if I've still got any of these fine old books left.

Profile picture for user Sage the Owl

Member for

12 years 6 months

The Whitley Commando cover was drawn by the great Ian Kennedy. He's now semi retired but still draws a number of the current Commando covers although not sadly any complete stories any longer.
I managed to pick up some of the Air Ace issues in nearly mint condition a couple of months ago & one of them was indeed a "Battler Britton" story where he flew Whirlwinds, in another it was Marauder's. I think he probably had more types in his log book than "Winkle" Brown.
I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I will "fish" out the aforementioned Air Ace & scan the cover.
Another great Commando Aviation artist is the Argentinian Jose Maria Jorge, on a par with Kennedy for detail & accuracy.

Profile picture for user Bob

Member for

20 years 1 month

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent

One of my favourite artists was Ian Kennedy...

...and I do believe this is one of his covers?.....

EDIT
D'Oh, missed Sage The Owl's post...

I wish I could find a book with his artwork - I've been looking through all the 'omnibus' editions which seem to be littering my local Borders recently...

Profile picture for user OneEighthBit

Member for

11 years 10 months

This one maybe
http://www.commandocomics.co.uk/2626.html

No, it was definitely a Horsa I remember. Was draw from the aft/port side and I think a Stuka was attacking it in the picture.:confused:

Member for

12 years 6 months

No, it was definitely a Horsa I remember. Was draw from the aft/port side and I think a Stuka was attacking it in the picture.:confused:

in "the dirty dozen" one of the earlier compilations it has "glider ace" about a Horsa pilot - no Stuka though :confused: