Spitfire Mk21

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

Does anyone have photos or some form of referance for what markings and colours the prototype Mk21 PP139 wore? Ive found a photo of LA187 which is labelled as being a prototype but idealy im looking for a photo of PP139.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

According to Morgan and Shacklady - Spitfire The History (three photo captions):

DP851, ex prototype F Mk IV, was used as the prototype F21

PP139, the production prototype F21 Victor (in the text also called "the true prototype")

LA187, first production F21 ...

In the B/W photo, PP139 looks like it has the standard camo;
fin flash with a "narrow white center",
C1 roundel on the fuselage and an "encircled P" between the roundel and the serial,
B roundel on upper wing surface,
lower wing surface not seen (C roundel ?).

Christer

Member for

18 years 5 months

When you say standard camoflage do you mean dark sea grey and dark green upper surfaces with medium sea grey undersurfaces?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Points of interest.

1) Extended wing tips.

2) Streamline experimental windscreen similar to Seafire XVIII & 47.

3) Proto 'P'.

4) Anti Glare panel on upper image.

5) 'Lump' on top cowling.

6) Note different fin/rudder configurations in two images.

7) Up sweep of camou line on rudder of lower image.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/21-PP139Mk21ProtoPRAColl001a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/21-PP139Mk21ProtoPRAColl002a.jpg

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thank you Mark. Can you confirm if i am right with the camo colours above?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The photo is B/W making it difficult to tell but I think so. The alternative to dark sea grey would be brown, right? That would look darker on a B/W photo compared to dark sea grey.

Christer

Edited: I've been looking at the same photo (in flight) as Mark 12 posted.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thank you Mark. Can you confirm if i am right with the camo colours above?

No I can't.

It may be Brown/Green with Yellow under surfaces.

This will need more research.

Mk V...speak.

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

Best judgement reading AMO A.864/44 to AP 2656A

Private Venture and Prototype aircraft:

Upper surfaces: to rôle of aircraft...This will be Dark Green/Ocean Grey.

Under surfaces: Yellow.

Mark

Member for

18 years 5 months

Comparing the shade of the underside to the P marking it looks lighter which to me makes yellow unlikely. I look forward to seing what others make of this.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The prototype marking looks to be the same shade as the yellow outer ring of the fuselage roundel.

Spitfire XIX PS915 wore the markings of a prototype (Mk.XIV?) for a number of years. Beautiful scheme, in my opinion. Was probably very similar to the one above.

Member for

20 years 10 months

No I can't.

It may be Brown/Green with Yellow under surfaces.

This will need more research.

Mk V...speak.

Mark

On recollection from a project years ago - I agree with your later suggestion: Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Yellow. Note all surfaces are fairly satin in finish with a very distinct sheen.
Spitfire XIX PS915 wore the markings of a prototype (Mk.XIV?) for a number of years.
Ah yes thats the one - my contribution to that, back in 1991 (?) was making her a new stern post. The work was carrried out at Hurn.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thank you all for the help. The models should be on my bench pretty soon so i will post some photos in the model section.

The only other question i have is there seems to be some form of badge on the fin in the first photo. Any idea what it could be?

Member for

20 years 10 months

The only other question i have is there seems to be some form of badge on the fin in the first photo. Any idea what it could be?
I don't see anything on the fin apart from the normal flash. There is a W/T bonding marking on the rudder.

One thing that is unusual is the camou pattern around the nose (sbd side).

Member for

20 years 7 months

4) Anti Glare panel on upper image.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/21-PP139Mk21ProtoPRAColl001a.jpg

Going by the hard shadow on the rear fuselage from the fin and rudder, maybe that 'anti-glare' is actually a shadow from the windscreen?

Member for

18 years 5 months

It doesnt look like an anti glare panel to me, it seems to terminate just in front of the bulge on the top.

Does anyone know what that bulge is for?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Going by the hard shadow on the rear fuselage from the fin and rudder, maybe that 'anti-glare' is actually a shadow from the windscreen?

Going by the hard shadow on the rear fuselage from the fin and rudder, we can see that the sun is very low and just off to port a few degrees casting a long shadow of the upper starboard rear fuselage. The 'anti glare panel' however is true to the central datum. Indeed I suspect that much of the experimental windshield and modified canopy frame is also painted black, for development purposes, and has yet to be applied in the ground shot.

Incidentally the Seafire 47, which ended up with this screen, was painted with an anti glare panel in service.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/Photo10-VP455-01-001.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

It doesnt look like an anti glare panel to me, it seems to terminate just in front of the bulge on the top.

Does anyone know what that bulge is for?

Ollie,

In you mind draw a line from the top of the rudder to the tip of the shadow of the fin on the fuselage. Now draw a line from the top of the windscreen parallel to it...which should hit the mid cowling 'shadow' tip.

It is an anti glare panel.

The bulge is probably an air intake for the compressor mounted on the auxiliary gearbox.

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

Incidentally, the first iteration of the streamlined screen and canopy, that came in to service on the Seafire XVII and later on the Seafire 47 was heavily criticised by Jeffrey Quill. Both side panels of the screen were armoured, unlike the conventional internal armoured main stream Spitfire screen. Reflections et al were pronounced OK for 'weekend warriors' of the RNVR but pretty useless for serious fighting.

With the advent of the looming Korean War, that would possible see the Seafire 47 in to battle, a rapid programme of fitting revised screens and canopies was instigated. This introduced an additional panel at the top of the screen, as seen on the Mk 21 proto above, and changed the steepened angle of the screen to canopy engagement back to or close to the conventional Spitfire set-up.

Mark