"Aces Falling" - BBC2 Timewatch

Read the forum code of contact

Just an early heads-up, and although no transmission date has yet been fixed it will be on your screens sometime in early Spring 2009.

In the excellent Timewatch series, this programme looks at the life and death of Major McCudden VC and Major Mannock VC and various aspects of the two fliers careers and eventual fates.

A preview screening will shortly be held for the Royal Aeronautical Society after which I may have some news about the transmission date.

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Fantastic news, when's the screening? I'm a member of the RAeS

Some time in February. I will pm you when I have details.

Heads-Up!

Hot off the press is news that the next BBC2 Timewatch series will run from Sat 21 Feb at 20.00hrs. The McCudden/Mannock programme ("Aces Falling") will be shown at some point during the following six-week run.

When I have a scheduled transmission date I will post it here.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for the advanced warning, is the programme based on Peter Hart's book 'Ace's Falling' by any chance?

No. The programme centres on McCudden and Mannock. Various contributors, from different angles, including Mike O'Connor, Guy Black, McCudden family members, a recent biographer of Mannock's political life etc etc etc and looking also at the mystery of Mannock's burial place.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for clearing that up, just wondered when I saw the programmes title.

I'm looking forward to this, I read all I could get my hands on about McCudden and Mannock last year.

You may be interested in an article on Mannock in "the other" aviation magazine which should be on the news stands any day now.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Tangmere ,read it yesterday very good article . Did not realise the confusion of where Mannock is supposed to have fallen.

Thank you, T-21!

Just taking the opportunity to say that the TX date for the "Aces Falling" programme has now been announced.

It will be on Saturday 21 March 2009 at 20.00hrs on BBC2 in the new "Timewatch" series.