Poling (Chain Home) Radar Station

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Can anyone enlighten me as to where I might get a site map of Poling CH Radar Station, similar to those available for airfields? I've tried a number of the obvious avenues.

I'm particularly interested in the position of the aerials in relation to the technical site on the A27; and the accommodation area in nearby woods.

Information on Poling in general is fairly scarce, so any additional details - particularly photographic - would be welcome.

Thanks.

Original post

I have (somewhere) a private shot of the pylons and also I think I am right in saying that the IWM shots of a CH Radar Station are all of Poling.

I gather there is a 250kg UXB on site somewhere from the 18 August 1940 raids!

Member for

16 years 7 months

When you say obvious places, I'm assuming youv'e tried the TNA, IWM, RAFM or AHB?
Also local Government archives sometimes keep this information.
Have you tried asking at over on AIX, there are some members there that are into radar and the sites used.
I have just had a ganders around RAF Trerew (Chain Home) Radar site, fascinating place with many of the buildings and bunkeres still intact.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thanks Tangmere1940; I'm aware of this IWM photo...

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/CH_015173.jpg

...but not any others.

That said, I've just come across THIS, so at least I know where the masts were now, although some way from the technical site on the A27.
[in the long field at the top: three transmitter towers - originally four - plus four receiver towers]

Would still like to find a site plan though.

Member for

15 years 11 months

I've got a cleaner/larger version of that aerial shot if anyone wants it.

You might not have see this one.

Private photo - not IWM, but will try to dig out the other IWN shots.

And this one.....

(which IS an IWM shot)

Would not have wanted to be up there on 18 August 1940.

Blimey......I seem to be loading up half my photo collection here tonight.

Anyone ready for the German photo of the crash site of Bader's Spitfire yet.....???!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

"I've got a cleaner/larger version of that aerial shot if anyone wants it."

Yes please!

"...will try to dig out the other IWM shots."

Again, yes please!!

Wot?

:confused:

More interesting than the Bader photo? Oh well...back in the filing cabinet with it then!

I will see if I can find more Poling shots.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Tangmere1940, I'm afraid the IWM photo looking up the transmitter tower is most definitely NOT Poling. The general view of the station (IWM neg no CH 15173), the vertical aerial and the private shot are, but the view up the tower is not. How do I know? It's the wrong type of tower, and quite distinctive if you know the three different designs which were used. This photo is almost certainly of a tower at Bawdsey in Suffolk.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Oops, I forgot to mention that I have another couple of photos, showing the receiver site at Poling.

Tangmere1940, I'm afraid the IWM photo looking up the transmitter tower is most definitely NOT Poling. The general view of the station (IWM neg no CH 15173), the vertical aerial and the private shot are, but the view up the tower is not. How do I know? It's the wrong type of tower, and quite distinctive if you know the three different designs which were used. This photo is almost certainly of a tower at Bawdsey in Suffolk.

Doh....:rolleyes:

Silly me, if I'd have counted the number of bolts on the girder ends I'd have know straight away it wasnt Poling! :D

Seriously though, its good to know it isn't Poling. I am sure IWM sold it to me as such...and I am VERY impressed by your knowledge!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Don't worry - I know it is VERY sad that I know these things. That said, it is surprising how often such information comes in useful and being one of the few people in the entire country with such knowledge does keep me in demand.

Member for

20 years 1 month

RadarArchive: Brilliant; thanks.

The cottages next to the receiver site in your photo is still there today; walked past there with the dog the other day.
Named "Radar Cottages", in a nice link with the past.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=171297&d=1237842058

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1599/58939173.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

A couple of shots of Poling, scans of small snapshot's from my collection..the masts in 1958. View of buildings and mast bases taken in 1960.

Chumpy.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Anyone ready for the German photo of the crash site of Bader's Spitfire yet.....???!!

Well, someone told me on Sunday that he'd flown from Great Sampford (though I haven't a clue about his source...), so I'm up for it.

Seriously, it's really interesting to see an unusual aspect being covered especially as I've spent a (very cold!) night camping at the old Drone Hill radar station on the Scottish border.

Adrian

Member for

20 years 1 month

"...Seriously, it's really interesting to see an unusual aspect being covered..."

Adrian: Not wishing to detract from photos and possible site map, HERE is another interesting related aspect.
One of the very first awards of the Military Medal to one of only a handful of women in WWII - Avis Hearn - was as a result of the big raid on Poling; 18th August 1940.

Apparently it was 1960 before the London Gazette - where all awards were announced - acknowledged that they had got her name wrong (Avis J. Hearn; later Avis J. Parsons)!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6504/55755506.jpg

Member for

14 years 1 month

Hello Ian, I was delighted to find this site, and view the comments and photos from all contributors. My father was a radar mechanic in WW2 with his first posting to CHL Dunwich following attendance at No.1 Radar School Cracnwell in July 1942. Later postings were to RAF CH Poling, Truleigh Hill,Hythe & CHL The Needles. He died not long after returning to NZ,and I am keen to obtain information/photos of the Dunwich CHL and/or RAF Accommodation sites. I visited Dunwich in 2002, only the generator block remains, and a photo in the National Trust/Coastguard building of campers taken in the 1950's showing an outline of the CHL tower in the background. Would you have any further information regarding RAF Dunwich in particular? Many thanks, Maurice340.
P.S. I was directed to the Stenigot Site, with one remaining transmitter mast, amazing!

Member for

14 years 1 month

Hello 1stThings1st, if still available, I would be keen to receive your sharper photo image of the site, Many thanks, Maurice.

Member for

14 years 2 months

1stThings1st,

In your post #14, you mention 'Radar Cottages'. This put me in mind of a cottage at the corner of a factory where I once worked. The factory is long gone and I am certain that not many, if any, of the local residents know why it is (still) called 'Frequency Cottage'.

The factory was previously known within the company as 'High Frequency Works' and was allegedly used to produce cables for radar installations using the newly invented polyethylene as dielectric. I was told by an old stager that they were one of ICI's first customers for their new 'Polythene' material, maybe even the first. That would have been in the late 1930s. 'Polythene' is now of course a generic term along with 'Biro' and 'Hoover'.

Just thought you may be interested.

Rod