Fairey Barracuda DP872

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 8 months

Hi Dave - I have some spare 2BA bolts I can send you if you are interested?

Hi Whitley_project
Thank you, Dave will be in touch with you regarding 2BA bolts if he hasn't done so already.
Cheers
Will.

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 2 months

Thanks for the link to the update.
Nice work.

On page 189 of "Spitfire Survivors" there is an image of LZ844 sporting, what is thought to be, a Barracuda propeller.
I was wondering if anyone has been aware of this.
If DP872 is still in need of a prop perhaps an arrangement could be made.
Just a thought.

Andy

Member for

17 years 8 months

LZ844 was later seen with two blades hacked off.

Member for

24 years 2 months

LZ844 along with the mortal remains of TE566 arrived at Kemble circa July 2011 and was displayed in September with two propeller blades apparently sawn off.

One might imagine that with haste and no tools the reason was to get the prop in to the shipping container in Australia.

The blades were definitely not Spitfire and the logical assumption was that they were Barracuda. Can anybody confirm from my image of January 1998?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%206/5-LZ844-04-001%20Point%20Cook%205%20Jan%201998%20Peter%20Arnold_zpspcvdeazd.jpg

Subsequently LZ844 has gone off the radar to a location unknown to me and there are murmurings of litigation.

Mark

Member for

8 years 8 months

Hi Mark
They seem close but the tips look to rounded, the Barra Merlin props were more squared off. Is there a better photo?.

Will

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don't rule out that Barry Coran may have re-profiled the tips or even shortened the blades here.

I believe that they are Rotol blades with the same hub and bearing size as the Mk VIII/IX Spitfire and fit a Merlin output shaft.

The chord of the blade is visibly wider than a Spitfire blade.

So, any other candidates for this propeller assembly in Australia?

Mark

Member for

17 years 11 months

I was always told Lz844 blades were Barra.Maybe the guys who were down there at the time could chime in.

Member for

8 years 8 months

I would like to say a big thank you to both radarsdesk and Whitley_project for there kind Donations which will help the restoration of DP872.

Cheers
Will.

Member for

13 years 5 months

QldSpitty your on the money, I am sure I saw it at an early Avalon show (Early 90s)?, and it was for sale , the word was it was a "bitsa" and that it had a Barra prop.

Regards Mike

Member for

12 years 10 months

Re Barry Coran's Spit: I knew Barry back when I was at Point Cook. At the time he told me the Prop/s were located in QLD and were being used as a clothesline with holes drilled through the upper two blade with rope going to another a few meters away. The lower two blades were in the ground.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thanks so much for the updates! I really wish u could talk to the Lufthansa Super Connie team about their lack of them!

Member for

15 years 9 months

Its been a while since we've posted here so this is a bump. We're making good progress but it will still take quite a few years given our limited resources, but the quality of the restoration is excellent. We're always after anything Barracuda related, be it tangible in the form of parts, or memories and memorabilia and would love to hear from descendants and relatives of former barracuda aircrew and maintainers. See our Facebook Page for the latest progress linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/FaireyBarra...?ref=bookmarks