Fairey Barracuda DP872

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'll have to warn Bill not to even go near the 'what colour is interior green?' topic!

Member for

13 years 4 months

I'll have to warn Bill not to even go near the 'what colour is interior green?' topic!

That's an easy one - most of the interior green is still in there once we get to the pointy end. Maybe we should ask Humbrol for thousands of those weeny tins to paint the outside. Now who could ever argue with Humbrol?
The sea-sludge green and extra sea-sludge green both have RAL codes it's the duck-egg-green / blue / sky colour that seems a little mysterious but we do have a couple of good surviving examples so when we get it matched and use that and some smarty-pants tells us it's wrong we can reply with absolute conviction that it's not us that's wrong.
I was mainly concerned that ours might be one of the blue or white or almost entirely sky-coloured examples from the book but if it's just the camouflage type scheme we're laughing.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Absolutely magnificent work on the Barra Bill, not to mention the utterly amazing job you've done with K7 - just takes restoration to a new level.

If you should be at a loose end any time, there's a Handley Page Halifax in London.... :dev2:

Member for

13 years 4 months

Absolutely magnificent work on the Barra Bill, not to mention the utterly amazing job you've done with K7 - just takes restoration to a new level.

If you should be at a loose end any time, there's a Handley Page Halifax in London.... :dev2:

Thank you - I accept your compliment on behalf of all the waifs and strays who give up their evenings and weekends to work on our projects. Halifax, you say? I reckon we can weld Halifaxes.

On a slightly more serious note, I'd be very interested to know what sort of problems are considered real show-stoppers with the materials on aircraft restorations because we're sure to find them too and we can either learn the fixes from those who have gone before without having to reinvent the wheel or maybe crack a problem or two and be able to pass on what we've learned.

Member for

10 years 2 months

hi everyone on this forum,

I'm new here as I'm trying to do a good bit of research on who and what served on and around RNAS Rattray,
seeing as I only live about half a kilometre away from the place.

regarding the dumped barracudas in the loch, I don't suppose anyone has any more information on what else happened there?

I've heard a lot more went on there but don't have any clue,

if any of you have any info regarding this I would be very grateful,

also good luck on the restoration project,

james.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Excellent coverage of The Barracuda Project from 08:20 here-

:eagerness:

Member for

15 years 9 months

With regard to the video, the specific Meteor T.7 seen in the video, WS103, was never used by Martin Baker for ejection seat trials, its a standard T.7 having seen FAA squadron service. Don't know why the surprise with the Skyraider as these saw extensive service with the FAA before the Gannet AEW3 and there's also another one sat outside Cobham Hall for all to see. Also John Fairey mentioned during the Flycatcher piece was the son of 'the man', not the man himself, the man being Sir Charles Richard Fairey. Sorry to be a pedant!

Love the restoration work as I'm an aircraft sheet metal worker at heart trained by the Royal Navy with 13 years MARTSU/MASU experience.

Member for

24 years 3 months

With kind permission of 'The Mighty Jingles', I've re-packaged the Barracuda segment of his recent video on our own channel-

Member for

11 years 4 months

hi everyone on this forum,

I'm new here as I'm trying to do a good bit of research on who and what served on and around RNAS Rattray,
seeing as I only live about half a kilometre away from the place.

regarding the dumped barracudas in the loch, I don't suppose anyone has any more information on what else happened there?

I've heard a lot more went on there but don't have any clue,

if any of you have any info regarding this I would be very grateful,

also good luck on the restoration project,

james.

Hello James,

Can I suggest that you may be better off opening a new thread? "Info on RNAS Rattray/ Crimond/ HMS Merganser" for example. This is a very well-read thread but, as it concerns a present day restoration, I think you will possibly find your post getting a bit lost in the middle.

Member for

15 years 8 months

On a different matter, whats happened to the Bluebird diary?,the last one was August last year. Always an informative and amusing read.

Member for

13 years 4 months

On a different matter, whats happened to the Bluebird diary?,the last one was August last year. Always an informative and amusing read.

Yes - sorry about that. All my writing time has been taken up with other matters these past few months but thankfully that's all sorted now and I'm being pestered to death to resume the BBP diary. The little Barra' diaries take no time at all but the BBP one can be an epic but I'm on it. Another difficulty with the BBP diary is we've been stuck on the sponsons for the past year and a bit so there's nothing left to write about. Mike keeps the pic of the day pretty current and that more or less shows everything we're doing in real time but we're onto fitting their skins and planing surfaces now so there's more to report. We're putting the outer skins on our Barra' tailplane too now too so lots of interesting things to show you there.

As for Crimond, I don't know what went on up there but I do know there's a hell of a lot of Barra' lying about!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Latest Barra diary is up-

February 2014

Well done to all involved in this work. Such a worthy project.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cheers David, much appreciated. :eagerness:

Member for

15 years

Post 124, we had a Barracuda centre section on East Midlands airport at the LLAM in 1980 when the museum closed it went to Nev it later went to Colin Baker at Derby who later gave it to the FAAM it was the centre section with window and inner wing about 7foot wide and10 feet long. I have some pictures somewhere of it.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I love reading the blog, one of the best written restoration blogs on the 'net!

Member for

13 years 4 months

Post 124, we had a Barracuda centre section on East Midlands airport at the LLAM in 1980 when the museum closed it went to Nev it later went to Colin Baker at Derby who later gave it to the FAAM it was the centre section with window and inner wing about 7foot wide and10 feet long. I have some pictures somewhere of it.

That'd be interesting - so far as I know there's the one that came out of the bog and a badly burned (without any windows) one and that's the lot. If there's a third that would be quite a turn up! If you can dig up any pic's they'd be appreciated.

Member for

13 years 4 months

I love reading the blog, one of the best written restoration blogs on the 'net!

Thank you very kindly, sir.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Nice update :) One thing though, would it be possible to put the website URL in the newsletter? Makes it easier to click right to the site/ update :)