Cold War aircraft tug

Member for

11 years 8 months

Anyone out there got any pictures of royal navy aircraft tugs and RAF tugs circa 1960/70 so we can decide what colours to paint the hallam we have at brunty into period colours we could just be boring and stick it in nato green with yellow strip but we want to see if any other colour scheme's exist yes you've guessed it the famous brunty pink tug might well disappear under a new coat of paint it's being rubbed down as we speak !!!
Original post

Member for

10 years 7 months

The Hallam was only introduced in the 90's and was used along side the MF50 and MF40 Tractors which of course replaced the good old David Brown series. The DB came in two versions; short wheelbase one where the driver and NCO IC were enclosed in a cab (the wingmen sat on a bench outdoors on the back facing rearwards) and the completely open to the elements long wheelbase version which was a semi automatic. The Hallams I saw were in standard NATO green with yellow stick on stripes and also all over bright yellow. I think when II (AC) deployed to Norway they added the same white markings as the aircraft in wash off paint, though this may have been lineys finding the paint and doing a home made job. The ones deployed to the gulf were also painted in the wash off pink applied to the aircraft. Hope this helps!

Member for

11 years 8 months

getting mixed up the one at brunty is an MF40 i think
Profile picture for user hunterxf382

Member for

14 years 2 months

That pink tug is an MF model certainly, but I only remember them being introduced in the 80's and in standard Nato green with the ubiqutous yellow stripes for RAF ones. I can't speak for the colours of Navy ones if they had them too?
Profile picture for user hunterxf382

Member for

14 years 2 months

Over on the Airfield Exchange Form - I found a photo of both the MF tugs amongst others shown HERE