Miles Whitney Straight

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

Does anyone have any information on the possilble whereabouts of static or flying examples in the UK?

Original post

Member for

19 years

G-AEUJ was stored at Sutton Coldfield. G-AERV was stored at Upper Ballinderry. This is not curent info. but a start for you.:)

'ERV would seem to be very much alive and flying!

Member for

14 years 6 months

G-AEUJ was stored at Sutton Coldfield. G-AERV was stored at Upper Ballinderry. This is not curent info. but a start for you.:)

'ERV would seem to be very much alive and flying!

Many thanks, Newforest. Your info lead me to the the Civil Register so that I could see the history of these two, presumably only remaining examples in the UK. And if ERV is still flying as evidenced by the 2009 photo that is wonderful.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Miles Whitney Straight

My 2006 list of Airworthy Miles aircraft shows the following information on M11A Whitney Straights

G-AERV C/No 307 Built 1936 Currently in Rebuild by Ron Souch

G-AEUG C/no 313 Buiilt 1937 Believed to be at Sleap in 2008

I would suggest that more up-to-date information is contained in Peter Amos' book
Miles Aircraft Vol 1 The Early Years 1925 to 1939 Appendix 19

Member for

14 years 6 months

My 2006 list of Airworthy Miles aircraft shows the following information on M11A Whitney Straights

G-AERV C/No 307 Built 1936 Currently in Rebuild by Ron Souch

G-AEUG C/no 313 Buiilt 1937 Believed to be at Sleap in 2008

I would suggest that more up-to-date information is contained in Peter Amos' book
Miles Aircraft Vol 1 The Early Years 1925 to 1939 Appendix 19

Thanks dailee1. New Year aberration, because I have the Miles book and have been dipping here and there but only covering the first years at Shoreham without realising that it had such a comprehensive series of Appendices and which are so up to date.

This thread has achieved its purpose!:o

Member for

15 years 3 months

G-AERV is very much alive and well and based at Turweston. I don't think it flies too much as it always seems to be at the back of the hangar when I have been there.

Member for

14 years 6 months

G-AERV is very much alive and well and based at Turweston. I don't think it flies too much as it always seems to be at the back of the hangar when I have been there.

Is that Turweston near Northampton?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Not precisely on the theme of the thread but what's the current status of G-AFGK/CF-FGK in the museum in Alberta, Canada?

Member for

19 years 1 month

G-AEUJ - Newforest says Sutton Coldfield, dailee "G-AEUG" (typo??) at Sleap in 2008, "Wrecks and Relics" says stored at Cosford (but last noted May, 2002).

Off topic but does anyone know if any of Bob Mitchell's collection remain at Cosford?

Roger Smith.

Member for

20 years

Thanks for that - as its address is Brackley, I would plump for Northamptonshire but who knows.............;)

It is in Buckinghamshire hence the problems a few years back with AVDC and the planning issues.... Greatworth is in Northamptonshire and yet has a Oxon postcode!
Silverstone is half Northants and half Buckinghamshire!

Member for

19 years

Off topic but does anyone know if any of Bob Mitchell's collection remain at Cosford?

Roger Smith.

Yes some do, last time i was up at Bobs Hangar at Sleap the KZ8 and the BT17 were still at Cosford.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Aha it could well have been RV I saw out and about a couple of weeks ago. I saw a vaguely familiar shape in the distance and couldn't figure out what it was. At least it was still nipping along well. I haven't seen RV close to since I was a boy and that is far longer ago than I care to think about.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Thanks Blue Max - I'm on a visit to RAF Cosford in ten days. I know they aren't see-able but I'll keep my eyes peeled, just in case :)

Roger Smith.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have to agree with Sky High here, she does look beautiful.