Anzani 6 engine in the UK?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 10 months

Guys,

for a Pietenpol Aircamper project at Hoogeveen airport in the Netherlands, we plan to use a Anzani 6 engine (early model). Although we have the engine, documentation about flying and maintaining it is very scarce. Even internet offers few options. Up to the Anzani owner, there should still be 2 samples of this engine in the UK.
I found one at RAF Cosford and another should be at Old warden.

If one of you has pictures of these engines or any other Anzani 6 please let me know.

Best regards,

André

p.s. photo by me showing our Anzani 6 at home.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

I can confirm that there is still a 6 cylinder Anzani at Old Warden.

If I remember my camera. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow for you.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Excellent feedback guys! Much appreciated!

Nosedive thank you for effort to snap a shot of it at Old Warden.

Member for

19 years

I have a feeling there is a six-cyl Anzani at the MoSI, Manchester (owned by The Aeroplane Collection) and hasn't the RAFMuseum's Bleriot XXVII got one attached???

Roger Smith.

Member for

20 years 3 months

I have a feeling there is a six-cyl Anzani at the MoSI, Manchester (owned by The Aeroplane Collection) and hasn't the RAFMuseum's Bleriot XXVII got one attached???

Roger Smith.

Nope, that has a Gnome. The Caudron has one, that is probably what you were thinking of. There is also one on a stand as I remember.

Rather than ask on here the original poster would have been better off asking the RAF Museum store at RAF Stafford if they have any documentation. It would be my first place to look

Good luck

Member for

14 years 10 months

Nope, that has a Gnome. The Caudron has one, that is probably what you were thinking of. There is also one on a stand as I remember.

Rather than ask on here the original poster would have been better off asking the RAF Museum store at RAF Stafford if they have any documentation. It would be my first place to look

Good luck

Thanks! Will do!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Shuttleworth Collection Anzani 6 cylinder engine.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/jamesmichell/Anzani/DSCN6335.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/jamesmichell/Anzani/DSCN6338.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/jamesmichell/Anzani/DSCN6339.jpg

Member for

14 years 10 months

Great shots, thanks!

Member for

20 years

Was this the very first twin-row radial engine?

Member for

19 years 4 months

I just visited Hendon this last weekend and in the Graeme White Hangar is, I believe, one of these engines on display.

Bomberboy

Member for

16 years 7 months

.Rather than ask on here the original poster would have been better off asking the RAF Museum store at RAF Stafford....

He has provided an interesting thread, which is always good.

The Anzani is still on display at RAFM Cosford, I have it in the background of this pic.

PL, is it strictly a twin row, and not that the pitons were just staggered?

Attachments

Member for

14 years 10 months

Thank you for all feedback guys!

There are still more Anzani 6 engines outthere than anticipated.

Member for

17 years 6 months

...is it strictly a twin row, and not that the pitons were just staggered?

Actually that is a very good point I would have said it was a twin-row radial, that is two three-cylinder radials on a common crankshaft, but the crankcase doesn’t look thick enough for a two-throw crank, so it possibly is a six-cylinder with staggered cylinders.....which wouldn’t work, or a two-throw crank without a centre bearing...

...which wouldn’t work either! :confused:

However, I seem to remember that there is a three-cylinder Anzani engine with the three cylinders spaced at 30° intervals and then a 300° gap (not the three cylinder 120° spacing version)...

...and that shouldn’t work either! :confused:

I also seem to remember some very strange arrangements for joining the connecting-rod big-ends to the crankshaft journals on Anzani engines which I will check-up on.

Here is a photo of the six-cylinder Anzani from the Graham-White hangar at Hendon that I took today. Feel free to copy it if you wish as I probably will not leave it here long at this file size. There is at least one other six-cylinder Anzani at Hendon that I saw today and I will post a photo later.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

The Anzani was one of the engines I helped to restore when I was with the Aeroplane Collection.
It was stripped, cleaned, degreased and varnished (yes all its internals are varnished) before being re-assembled with stove enamelled cylinders - it may never run again but neither will it rot away.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Here is the other photo I promised.

This was also taken at Hendon (yesterday) and this Anzani was fitted to the 'Bleriot' in the Milestones of Flight building.

Interestingly ‘British Anzani’ are still in business (although they went bankrupt in 1980)...

...but I think an enquiry about a six-cylinder aero-engine may throw them into a state of considerable confusion! :D

http://www.britishanzani.com/classic-anzani.asp

Attachments

Member for

19 years

Here is the other photo I promised.

This was also taken at Hendon (yesterday) and this Anzani was fitted to the 'Bleriot' in the Milestones of Flight building.......

Thanks CD - I'm confused now though :confused: that is the XXVII?

The RAFM have two Bleriots - an XI and a XXVII - one hanging in the entrance at Cosford, the other in Milestones. The latter (the XXVII?) has a 6-cyl Anzani what does the Cosford one have fitted?

Oh, and what then does the Caudron have in it?? - another Anzani (Melvyn)?

Roger Smith.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Oh, and what then does the Caudron have in it??

A ten-cylinder Anzani.....if we're thinking about the same thing from the Graham-White hangar...

...as you can tell, pre-WW2 aircraft aren't really my thing (but I think I have a photo of it)! :D

Member for

18 years 10 months

Thanks CD - I'm confused now though :confused: that is the XXVII?

The RAFM have two Bleriots - an XI and a XXVII - one hanging in the entrance at Cosford, the other in Milestones. The latter (the XXVII?) has a 6-cyl Anzani what does the Cosford one have fitted?

Oh, and what then does the Caudron have in it?? - another Anzani (Melvyn)?

Roger Smith.

The XI that was at Cosford is now hanging up in Milestones - the XXVII is in the Grahame White Hangar. The Caudron is also fitted with an Anzani

Member for

19 years

Thanks again CD and Rob. To summarize then...
The RAFM has two or three 6-cyl Anzanis -
1. on the Bleriot XI in Milestones,
2. on the Caudron in the Graham White,
3. on a stand (possibly).
(and their Bleriot XXVII has a Gnome rotary)
and there are two others on display
4. Old Warden
5. MoSI, Manchester

Roger Smith